Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I'm disappointed in how quickly people give up their rights. People locked in their homes, submitting to warrantless searches of their homes. Fear really is effective I guess. Its ironic this went down in the birthplace of the revolution.

They did not give up their rights. They understood their responsibility as a citizen of the greatest nation on earth while it is under attack by evil.

Thankfully not many of your selfish kind existed 70 years ago, otherwise we would all be speaking German today. What is fear? It is cowardly hiding behind your computer screen, attacking those who risk their lives keeping you safe and free (or are part of the solution rather than part of the problem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
I'm disappointed in how quickly people give up their rights. People locked in their homes, submitting to warrantless searches of their homes. Fear really is effective I guess. Its ironic this went down in the birthplace of the revolution.
You live in San Antonio. Come back and talk when there's a man with explosives and a clear intent to kill as many people as possible is roaming through your densely urban neighborhoods, and talk about how you would rather roam the streets and make the first responders' work more difficult.

For the record - I live in a working class, conservative (for Boston standards) neighborhood about 6 miles from the site of the Watertown firefight and a bit less from MIT. We ALL voluntarily locked-down except to check on elderly neighbors. And as someone who almost moved to an apartment RIGHT in the firefight area (meaning that last night, I would have gotten home just as the bombers arrived), this was absolutely a situation necessitated for the safety of both the first responders and the residents themselves.

I missed the MIT shooting by about 15/20 minutes. I had been at an event at the Stata Center 2 hours earlier, went out for dinner with some out of towners from the conference, and then we caught a cab right at the corner of Vassar and Main to go back to the hotel/pick up my car. Driving back, I passed many police cruisers and must have gotten out just before they shut down the area.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They did not give up their rights. They understood their responsibility as a citizen of the greatest nation on earth while it is under attack by evil.

Thankfully not many of your selfish kind existed 70 years ago, otherwise we would all be speaking German today. What is fear? It is cowardly hiding behind your computer screen, attacking those who risk their lives keeping you safe and free (or are part of the solution rather than part of the problem).
LOL Germany would never have come here and invaded. That's complete nonsense. The cowards are people like you who believe their responsibility is blindly doing whatever they are told. Works of "evil" do not cause my rights to disappear.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You live in San Antonio. Come back and talk when there's a man with explosives and a clear intent to kill as many people as possible is roaming through your densely urban neighborhoods, and talk about how you would rather roam the streets and make the first responders' work more difficult.

For the record - I live in a working class, conservative (for Boston standards) neighborhood about 6 miles from the site of the Watertown firefight and a bit less from MIT. We ALL voluntarily locked-down except to check on elderly neighbors. And as someone who almost moved to an apartment RIGHT in the firefight area (meaning that last night, I would have gotten home just as the bombers arrived), this was absolutely a situation necessitated for the safety of both the first responders and the residents themselves.

I missed the MIT shooting by about 15/20 minutes. I had been at an event at the Stata Center 2 hours earlier, went out for dinner with some out of towners from the conference, and then we caught a cab right at the corner of Vassar and Main to go back to the hotel/pick up my car. Driving back, I passed many police cruisers and must have gotten out just before they shut down the area.
There is a big difference between choosing to stay in because it is safer, and being compelled to by heavily armed police in armored vehicles.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
I think it's a matter of having an intelligent and educated populace that realizes running around and acting like yahoos isn't always appropriate. Time and a place. Same goes for our recent blizzard where people weren't getting killed on the roads. Go figure.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
There is a big difference between choosing to stay in because it is safer, and being compelled to by heavily armed police in armored vehicles.
The only mandatory lockdown was in Watertown - and for good reason. It's much easier to find someone if they don't have an opportunity to slip away in a crowd. The much wider zone did have people choosing to leave their homes. Many areas of Cambridge and Boston were simply impassable today due to the police presence. The governor has been excellent at encouraging businesses to shut down to make the streets safe for emergency personnel - we have seen this several times in Boston.

Do you think the 32000 citizens of Watertown should have been allowed to run around town today with thousands of LEOs and police, FBI, and Homeland Security vehicles crowding the streets? Would that have been a prudent measure putting Americans first? Watertown has a population density of over 8000 people a square mile (San Antonio, for the record, has less than half that) - and the area affected was even denser than average.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Do you think the 32000 citizens of Watertown should have been allowed to run around town today with thousands of LEOs and police, FBI, and Homeland Security vehicles crowding the streets? Would that have been a prudent measure putting Americans first? Watertown has a population density of over 8000 people a square mile (San Antonio, for the record, has less than half that) - and the area affected was even denser than average.
Yes I do. I understand your point but completely disagree. People have the right to move freely.

For all their bravado, it took a tremendous amount of heavily armed militarized police to take down 2 guys. I know this isn't the popular opinion here, but I resent police state tactics. The warrantless searches of people and property, automatic weapons and armored vehicles in the street. They didnt need to turn Boston into a dmz to find these guys.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
LOL Germany would never have come here and invaded. That's complete nonsense. The cowards are people like you who believe their responsibility is blindly doing whatever they are told. Works of "evil" do not cause my rights to disappear.
This guy does not "blindly do whatever" he is told. I was taught early on right from wrong and what my responsibilities as an American are. Needlessly impeding law enforcement while a terrorist is close by trying to destroy us is not exercising your 4th Amendment rights. It is called aiding the enemy. You clearly need to go back to school and learn about what your rights mean and being an American is all about. You better keep hiding behind your PC, I doubt you would stand a chance against a 12-year-old with a BB gun never mind an armed officer.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
The only mandatory lockdown was in Watertown - and for good reason. It's much easier to find someone if they don't have an opportunity to slip away in a crowd. The much wider zone did have people choosing to leave their homes. Many areas of Cambridge and Boston were simply impassable today due to the police presence. The governor has been excellent at encouraging businesses to shut down to make the streets safe for emergency personnel - we have seen this several times in Boston.

It was clear as day on the news that the gov was telling people to leave their jobs in Boston because people were hunkering down in their offices. He said please, get in your cars, go home, drive to watertown if you need to, etc. So, I'm not sure what the Texas drama is about here. People just made the appropriate decision to stay inside because there's no reason to fool around with potential risks if you don't have to.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yes I do. I understand your point but completely disagree. People have the right to move freely.

For all their bravado, it took a tremendous amount of heavily armed militarized police to take down 2 guys. I know this isn't the popular opinion here, but I resent police state tactics. The warrantless searches of people and property, automatic weapons and armored vehicles in the street. They didnt need to turn Boston into a dmz to find these guys.
Well, they did and it worked. I think we're all happy up here with the outcome and I suppose you can pout if you don't like it. Really, it's not you that brought resolve here and that was the first priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston