U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,605,046 times
Reputation: 4778

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Saw this thread as I was browsing. I haven't been to Boston yet, but people say you go there to see the history and do the tourist things. The nightlife is very bland from what others say. Hehe. Still can't wait to visit someday.
People don't visit Boston for the nightlife, people visit Boston for the history, the arts and sites. Its a very old historic city. The nightlife in Boston sucks to be honest but Boston is my hometown and its a great city. Its more of a IRISH pub town than nightlife city. You need to go to Vegas or Miami if you want nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:03 AM
 
32,825 posts, read 22,768,198 times
Reputation: 29883
I've lived in Chicago and SF, which relative to the size, has about the same quality of nightlife as Boston. There are things going on non-stop here. I wish I had the time, energy and money to be three places a night.

SF though, had a lot of problems with the fake-ness of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Boston
7,364 posts, read 15,340,917 times
Reputation: 8638
It's funny reading some of these posts. It seems that some posters (I'm guessing most of them are jsut 21-22) have a pretty narrow definition of "nightlife" and/or pretty grandiose expectations for a city that isn't close to being one of the top 3 largest in the country and hasn't ever been a party destination like Vegas or Miami. Boston doesn't have a club scene to rival cities like New York, LA, Vegas, Miami, etc. So if nightlife to you means going to the club, you'll probably find Boston to be lacking. However, Boston has a great bar scene. It has a comedy scene that's really only behind New York and LA (Chicago is debatable) and has pretty good rock shows too.

Boston's too small to be on par with New York, Chicago or LA where there's going to be something for everyone. It's not a club town either so it won't compete with a city like Vegas or Miami. However, if clubs aren't your thing (or your only thing), Boston will offer as much as most other comparable cities in terms of nightlife. Philadelphia, Washington, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. are all about the same. Some may have edges over Boston in some niches and Boston has edges in others. I know none of those are exactly the best company when you're talking about party cities, but that's the point. Boston's not a "party city." It's a major (although smaller than the big 3) American city and it's nightlife is on par with the others. Don't come to Boston because you want an outrageous nightlife above all else. Come to Boston for the multitude of other reasons to live here (healthcare, education, history, architecture, coastal location, steady employment, etc.) and enjoy what Boston does offer at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 AM
 
2,818 posts, read 5,167,428 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You would think some have never heard of a designated driver.
...or taxis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,639 posts, read 24,871,872 times
Reputation: 11205
Boston definitely has the worst nightlife of nearly all the major cities, imo. As a college student, we frequented mostly Black clubs with a few mixed clubs and predominantly White bars on occasion. We actually spent more time clubbing in Rhode Island than we did in Boston.

-As someone mentioned upthread, the crowds were standoffish. But the odd thing was that you'd have these clubs where all of the guys were on one side and the girls on the other. It felt very middle school-ish.

-Even in the Internet age, it seems that all of the hot music reaches Boston last. If there's a hot song from the West Coast or Atlanta, it might catch on in Philly or NYC a month later, but in Boston it catches on 3 months later. The club experience simply feels dull when you're listening to music that everybody else stopped listening to 3 months ago.

-Terrible dancing. Too many drunk girls flailing around. You don't really see much of that in Manhattan.

-Subpar DJs. Out of date music with lackluster skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 AM
 
32,825 posts, read 22,768,198 times
Reputation: 29883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's funny reading some of these posts. It seems that some posters (I'm guessing most of them are jsut 21-22) have a pretty narrow definition of "nightlife" and/or pretty grandiose expectations for a city that isn't close to being one of the top 3 largest in the country and hasn't ever been a party destination like Vegas or Miami. Boston doesn't have a club scene to rival cities like New York, LA, Vegas, Miami, etc. So if nightlife to you means going to the club, you'll probably find Boston to be lacking. However, Boston has a great bar scene. It has a comedy scene that's really only behind New York and LA (Chicago is debatable) and has pretty good rock shows too.

Maybe that's it. Nightlife /= dance clubs to me, never have. It's about shows. Boston's club rock scene isn't what it was since the Rat, Bunrattys and The Channel closed, but it is still good, and the Sinclair added a lot.

It really thrives in the underground show scene. Last Thursday I was super torn between the options and ended up at a JP basement seeing an awesome Italian group (and others). Happening show. There is so much going on! It seems when acts come to the U.S., they hit Boston or Providence, NY, DC and often Montreal then skip most of the country (except Chicago) until they hit the west coast. We get the cutting edge stuff. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,605,046 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've lived in Chicago and SF, which relative to the size, has about the same quality of nightlife as Boston. There are things going on non-stop here. I wish I had the time, energy and money to be three places a night.

SF though, had a lot of problems with the fake-ness of the people.
If you think the people are fake in SF you probably would not like LA, Vegas or Miami. Fake people everywhere you go, most sales people fake it until you make it. Fake people are everywhere this is America lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,605,046 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Boston definitely has the worst nightlife of nearly all the major cities, imo. As a college student, we frequented mostly Black clubs with a few mixed clubs and predominantly White bars on occasion. We actually spent more time clubbing in Rhode Island than we did in Boston.

-As someone mentioned upthread, the crowds were standoffish. But the odd thing was that you'd have these clubs where all of the guys were on one side and the girls on the other. It felt very middle school-ish.

-Even in the Internet age, it seems that all of the hot music reaches Boston last. If there's a hot song from the West Coast or Atlanta, it might catch on in Philly or NYC a month later, but in Boston it catches on 3 months later. The club experience simply feels dull when you're listening to music that everybody else stopped listening to 3 months ago.

-Terrible dancing. Too many drunk girls flailing around. You don't really see much of that in Manhattan.

-Subpar DJs. Out of date music with lackluster skills.
NYC, Miami and Vegas nightlife is on a whole another level.. I love their nightlife because you can get your own table and lounge in private away from the rowdy crowds, still here the music and enjoy your company in private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,639 posts, read 24,871,872 times
Reputation: 11205
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
NYC, Miami and Vegas nightlife is on a whole another level.. I love their nightlife because you can get your own table and lounge in private away from the rowdy crowds, still here the music and enjoy your company in private.
I'm not comparing Boston to NYC, Miami and Vegas. I'm comparing it to Atlanta, Philly, LA, Chicago, Houston, DC, the Bay Area, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
 
32,825 posts, read 22,768,198 times
Reputation: 29883
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
If you think the people are fake in SF you probably would not like LA, Vegas or Miami. Fake people everywhere you go, most sales people fake it until you make it. Fake people are everywhere this is America lol.

I've been to those places and I know I don't like them. Crapholes.

Heck, when I go to FL now I fly into Ft Lauderdale to avoid Miami entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top