Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:25 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
God forbid someone's children mix with children from the projects.
More than likely parents don't want to sacrifice their children on the "alter of diversity" for some government imposed egalitarian fantasy where their children are the "test subjects". As for the OP: look at Arlington, Belmont or Melrose like others have suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM

550 posts, read 680,188 times
Realtors are suppose to follow the Fair Housing Act and are not allowed to discuss how schools are or how the neighborhood is with homebuyers. Agents can be sued for that. All we can do is guide you to the resources and let the buyers search for the information themselves

Old 07-14-2015, 06:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
Realtors are suppose to follow the Fair Housing Act and are not allowed to discuss how schools are or how the neighborhood is with homebuyers. Agents can be sued for that. All we can do is guide you to the resources and let the buyers search for the information themselves
Then why have I seen listings in top school districts boast of "great schools" or use similar wording?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,211 times
In Cambridge and Somerville you can be pretty confident that you will get into your neighborhood school. In Somerville we have school choice but I have never heard of anyone not getting their neighborhood school.

As for "the projects" and "altar of diversity" - i grew up in a diverse school, and my kids are too - we are all better because of it. Would I put them in a school that is 80% low-income? Unlikely. But most of these schools are closer to 25-50% low income and the non-low income kids do just as well as the non-low income kids in the suburbs. We have quite a few friends in Lexington, Arlington, Belmont, Weston and Wellesley and I feel pretty confident that my kids are getting an equal education, and in some cases a better one, than their kids in those towns. Not to mention we have a vibrant, walk-able, diverse and relatively car-free existence with a 13 minute commute by bike. Less homogeneity in the schools also means your kids don't feel pressured to fit a specific mold and can just be themselves.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 AM

DM84 they are not suppose to write that in the listing. Unfortunately I have seen it as well. Just a simple description like great family neighborhood or walk to St. Michael's church can get an agent sued if the buyer is familiar with the fair housing act

Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 AM

122 posts, read 167,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
God forbid someone's children mix with children from the projects.
Yours first then you can talk!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:14 PM

596 posts, read 818,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
Yours first then you can talk!
I don't have children yet, but I've spent time in 25+ BPS schools and can say from experience that where kids live does not predict the quality of the school.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:14 PM

We all know that wealthy towns tend to have better higher performing school districts. Poor cities like Lawrence are at the bottom of school rankings.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:16 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times
Orwellian words: Vibrant. Diverse. It's like magic. And you get "better" for it. Though most of us know it's P.C. bull-crap. Harvard professor Robert Putnam did a study on diversity, and you know what he did with that study.....he hid it for several years; cause it showed what all honest, rational people understand: so-called 'diversity' does not work. We live in a delusional age.....

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-14-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
People act like there are fedora wearing string bands with butterflies enveloping them on every corner. You are still in the city and 99% of it is economic status and parental support.

Vibrant and diverse, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston