Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

The Celtics are far and away more popular than Bruins, just as basketball is far and away more popular than hockey.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but it's clearly true.

There are no cities in America where the local NHL team is more popular than the local NBA team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Celtics are far and away more popular than Bruins, just as basketball is far and away more popular than hockey.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but it's clearly true.

There are no cities in America where the local NHL team is more popular than the local NBA team.
I don't think that's true, the B's get the ratings on NESN vs the C's on CSN. In my opinion the B's fans are a little more loyal, but the C's have their loyal fans but can get the bandwagon train rolling. I think the C's are better at producing stars. Antione Walker was a star even though the team wasn't great, hell Rajon Rondo was a star here after Pierce and Garnett were traded.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I don't think that's true, the B's get the ratings on NESN vs the C's on CSN. In my opinion the B's fans are a little more loyal, but the C's have their loyal fans but can get the bandwagon train rolling. I think the C's are better at producing stars. Antione Walker was a star even though the team wasn't great, hell Rajon Rondo was a star here after Pierce and Garnett were traded.
Doesn't really have anything to do with the Celtics. The NBA is all about stars in general. It's not a true team sport. But people enjoy the circus-like aspect of it all I guess.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
The NHL loves stars too, they push Sydney Crosby pretty hard. Patrice just isn't a star, they had that Behind the B and he was just watching Modern Family. I kind of feel like you're anti basketball with the Circus-Like aspect comment. The NHL would kill for a Circus-Like aspect. In Boston the NHL is more popular in general, the NBA has higher ceiling with the bandwagon effect.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The NHL loves stars too, they push Sydney Crosby pretty hard. Patrice just isn't a star, they had that Behind the B and he was just watching Modern Family. I kind of feel like you're anti basketball with the Circus-Like aspect comment. The NHL would kill for a Circus-Like aspect. In Boston the NHL is more popular in general, the NBA has higher ceiling with the bandwagon effect.
How are we measuring popularity?

Sydnes Crosby, ok. One star. The NBA has multitudes. Leborn, Kyrie, Westbrook, IT, Curry, KD, Harden, George, Melo, Davis, CP3, Boogie, DWade. These dudes have global brands too. NHL stars don't. Not one single person in China knows who Sydney Crosby is. These NBA dudes do tours to multiple continents. NBA stars are on a completely different level.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Antione Walker was probably more famous than any Bruin in that time frame who is the Bruin Joe Thornton?

I mean Neeley and Bourque would have to be considered the Bird, McHale, Parish era. Then both teams sucked for a while.

Then was Patrice Bergeron more popular than Paul Pierce recently?
No Bird is more like Orr they both won multiple championships. I put the cap at 1988 because I didn't want people mentioning Celtics that won a bunch.

Only the Sox and the Bruins have icons from teams that don't win.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No Bird is more like Orr they both won multiple championships.

Only the Sox and the Bruins have icons from teams that don't win.
Somewhat misleading given that the Celtics have like 10 losing years compared to the Red Sox 100 losing years.

That criteria penalizes success. Not really logical.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Somewhat misleading given that the Celtics have like 10 losing years compared to the Red Sox 100 losing years.

That criteria penalizes success. Not really logical.
Even the 70s Celtics have nobody of note. The 20 years between championships for the Cs also had no one.

There are Celebrated Bruins from basically every year of their existence. There are Celebrated Celtics from the 80s and 50s and 2005-2011 and everything in between is basically non existant.

The Bruins are far more popular in Boston than the Celtics.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

The Bruins are far more popular in Boston than the Celtics.
How are you measuring?

Hockey fans will remember more hockey players. Basketball fans remember more basketball players.

I only have seen assertions.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
How are you measuring?

Hockey fans will remember more hockey players. Basketball fans remember more basketball players.

I only have seen assertions.
Look at TV numbers the Bruins pull between a 3.2-3.5 and Celtics pull a 2-2.5. On 98.5 Celtics games get bumped to the secondary channel if the Bruins are on at the same time.

The Bruins are still the big dog.

Just generally people I know know Bourque, Neeley and Oates while nobody knows anyone from between the Big 3s. (Except Reggie and Len Bias cause they died)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston