Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Look at TV numbers the Bruins pull between a 3.2-3.5 and Celtics pull a 2-2.5. On 98.5 Celtics games get bumped to the secondary channel if the Bruins are on at the same time.

The Bruins are still the big dog.

Just generally people I know know Bourque, Neeley and Oates while nobody knows anyone from between the Big 3s. (Except Reggie and Len Bias cause they died)
Antione Walker was unquestionably more popular than Oates and Bourque and Neely played at the same time as Bird, McHale and Parish.

And I'm not saying the Celtics are more popular than the Bruins. The Bruins get better ratings. I'm just saying Adam Oates isn't the reason

Last edited by The_General; 09-19-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM

126 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
Even the 70s Celtics have nobody of note.
what planet are you from?John Havlicek, Dave Cowens and Jo Jo White all Hall of Famers to name the most prominent, Heinsohn the coach.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:32 PM

126 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Antione Walker was unquestionably more popular than Oates and Bourque and Neely played at the same time as Bird, McHale and Parish.

And I'm not saying the Celtics are more popular than the Bruins. The Bruins get better ratings. I'm just saying Adam Oates isn't the reason
you get it,no one was more popular in the 80's than the Celtics of Bird, Parish McHale,not even the Bruins. Period, end of discussion

That is not to say that in general, when the B's are good and C's are good at the same time that hockey wouldn't be on top, it just wasnt in the 80's. In Boston sports history, NOTHING will ever, ever,. ever and ever match the Bruins of Bobby Orr. Any Bostonian who was alive and witnessed will all agree.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
you get it,no one was more popular in the 80's than the Celtics of Bird, Parish McHale,not even the Bruins. Period, end of discussion

That is not to say that in general, when the B's are good and C's are good at the same time that hockey wouldn't be on top, it just wasnt in the 80's. In Boston sports history, NOTHING will ever, ever,. ever and ever match the Bruins of Bobby Orr. Any Bostonian who was alive and witnessed will all agree.
I disagree Tom Brady is the unquestioned #1 athlete in Boston. If anybody disagrees they're a homer and wrong. Ratings obviously back that up and it's not close.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM

397 posts, read 319,351 times
My impression as a Boston sports fan who was born in the early 80s is that the Celtics have consistently been more popular since then, with perhaps only a few lulls here and there. I'd also say the crossover is mostly with Bruins fans who also are fans of the Celtics than vice versa. I feel like there are a lot more people who are fans of the Celtics but don't really follow the Bruins than the opposite.

I'd rank Boston/New England sports fandom as being dominated by the Patriots and the Red Sox. Then the Celtics are pretty popular and should stay popular because the franchise is in a good position to succeed now and in the near future. The Bruins are dead last. It's not that they haven't had success in recent years or that Boston is not a hockey town, but the NHL just isn't as popular as it once was and the NFL and NBA are really popular and MLB is more popular as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:45 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Last week, I read a Bruins article in the Herald about their pre-season. The writer's first paragraph acknowledged that the Bruins are "in one of their lulls now," only really relevant to their "hardcore fans." That's quite nasty for a beat writer, not a columnist, to admit.

Tonight on 93.7 fm sports station's late night with the new Alex Reimer host, he said the Celtics may be approaching or at the Red Sox level of popularity (due to not much buzz for the Sox despite two straight years in 1st place due to length of season and their style of play). All because of their immense and splashy off season. He mentioned the Sox stagnant, though good, tv ratings and boring product with few real personalities vs. Kyrie commanding the national stage on ESPN's "First Take" yesterday, a feat no Sox player could accomplish.

I'd be very surprised if the Bruins aren't wiped away by the Celtics in TV ratings this year.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
My impression as a Boston sports fan who was born in the early 80s is that the Celtics have consistently been more popular since then, with perhaps only a few lulls here and there. I'd also say the crossover is mostly with Bruins fans who also are fans of the Celtics than vice versa. I feel like there are a lot more people who are fans of the Celtics but don't really follow the Bruins than the opposite.

I'd rank Boston/New England sports fandom as being dominated by the Patriots and the Red Sox. Then the Celtics are pretty popular and should stay popular because the franchise is in a good position to succeed now and in the near future. The Bruins are dead last. It's not that they haven't had success in recent years or that Boston is not a hockey town, but the NHL just isn't as popular as it once was and the NFL and NBA are really popular and MLB is more popular as well.
Based off what?
If you aske people who their favorite team is the Bruins come out ahead of the Celtics. If you look at TV/radio ratings Bruins win, ticket prices, Bruins

I understand some individual players get more hype but that's because a Starter in Basketball basically plays 90% of the game. Even the 1st line in Hockey usually plays under 30% of the time. So Kyrie is probably 5x more important to the Celtics as Marchand is to the Bruins that's why they get talked about.

Last edited by btownboss4; 09-20-2017 at 04:23 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post

There is a myth out there that Boston loves hockey. Because the Bruins are old or because of the bean pot.

People who think this have never been to Canada. You are correct - We are talking about a battle for last place in this thread. I really think the Celtics are way more popular though.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There is a myth out there that Boston loves hockey. Because the Bruins are old or because of the bean pot.

People who think this have never been to Canada. You are correct - We are talking about a battle for last place in this thread. I really think the Celtics are way more popular though.
Boston has an equal Hockey Culture to Vancouver. Not Montreal or Winnipeg.

However in an American Context Boston is part of the top 3. My Drivers Text interrupted s game of street Hockey, at nearly every north shore and Merrimack Valley HS Hockey is more followed than Basketball and at every local Collegr Hockey is the most popular sport (save BC Football)

There is literally no evidence that the Celtics are even equal let alone way more popular.

Last edited by btownboss4; 09-20-2017 at 05:23 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Boston has an equal Hockey Culture to Vancouver. Not Montreal or Winnipeg.

However in an American Context Boston is part of the top 3. My Drivers Text interrupted s game of street Hockey, at nearly every north shore and Merrimack Valley HS Hockey is more followed than Basketball and at every local Collegr Hockey is the most popular sport (save BC Football)

There is literally no evidence that the Celtics are even equal let alone way more popular.
The Bruins are more popular, but I don't think there is any town where more people go to High School Hockey than High School Basketball. I grew up in a metro west town with an old school 1960's hockey rink, more people went too the HS basketball games.

And again the Bruins are more popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston