Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't know, I've been here 5 years now and still haven't noticed any substantial difference in hockey enthusiasm vs anywhere else in the USA with a franchise that's over 40 years old. Personally, I think Chicago, Pittsburgh and Detroit are at very least also on the same level as Boston. As for hockey culture (not just NHL) in terms of where the best hockey players come from and how engrained it is in the fabric of families and communities, if your answer isn't Minnesota, you are wrong.
Detroit yes, Pittsburgh, maybe, but Chicago, no. Chicago is not a Hockey town, its a Blackhawks town, there is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:09 PM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Detroit yes, Pittsburgh, maybe, but Chicago, no. Chicago is not a Hockey town, its a Blackhawks town, there is a difference.
I guess I don't think Boston is actually a hockey town either. I don't think any American city can genuinely make that claim, not compared to Canadian counterparts at least.

Though I believe I have said this before. No need to rehash old debates.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't think Boston is actually a hockey town either. I don't think any American city can genuinely make that claim, not compared to Canadian counterparts at least.

Though I believe I have said this before. No need to rehash old debates.
Massachusetts is #2 in NHL Hockey Players per capita currently. PA isn't even close, about 1/6th, and Illinois is about 1/2. All time, MA is also #2 overall.

NHL Totals by Birth State - 2017-2018*Stats

Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Massachusetts is #2 in NHL Hockey Players per capita currently. PA isn't even close, about 1/6th, and Illinois is about 1/2. All time, MA is also #2 overall.

NHL Totals by Birth State - 2017-2018*Stats
Ok. That is not the point I'm making though. The post you responded to actually didn't mention players from states at all.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Ok. That is not the point I'm making though. The post you responded to actually didn't mention players from states at all.
In terms of how Hockey is ingrained into the culture of the area more so than any outside Minnesota, its a valid reply.

1/3rd of College Hockey is based in New England, 8 in the MSA, 4 in the city. Boston is as much a Hockey town as anywhere in the United States, and more so than Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philly and NYC.

There are also no level that Basketball is more popular other than recreationally. at the HS, College, and Pro Level Hockey is more popular. Just because you ignore it doesn't mean its isn't true.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM

260 posts, read 299,688 times
Why do these threads exist honestly? You know the narrative that's being pushed. LOOK facts are facts. The NBA is IMMENSELY more popular than NHL. Now you can choose to live in a "Sports Bubble" and cover your eyes and ears and believe NHL has a chance of catching NBA. It doesn't. Everybody posting anecdotal stores doesn't change "Reality". Sorry if that hurts feelings but it's the truth. I don't doubt that Bruins maybe more popular than Celtics in Boston. But what does that even mean? The Celtics are a WORLDWIDE brand and the NBA has worldwide stars. NHL just doesn't.

You can't change the fact that a huge amount of the population in this country doesn't even know NHL exists.
Data suggests that LIGA MX beats NHL in television ratings : http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/01/2...numbers-us-tv/

Torino is much more popular than Juventus in Torino but what does that even mean. Nothing really.

Ratings Reality Check: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dai...tober-17-2017/

The NBA is beating playoff baseball between the dodgers and cubs. If you don't like the NBA just say you don't like the sport but be objective. I get tired of the "I used to watch the NBA" trope. Who cares? The NBA has replaced your fandom with NEW fandom. In other words they really don't need you because

Another Ratings reality Check:http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/tv-r...ls-1202464230/

Last edited by JasonTy; 10-20-2017 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
In terms of how Hockey is ingrained into the culture of the area more so than any outside Minnesota, its a valid reply.

1/3rd of College Hockey is based in New England, 8 in the MSA, 4 in the city. Boston is as much a Hockey town as anywhere in the United States, and more so than Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philly and NYC.

There are also no level that Basketball is more popular other than recreationally. at the HS, College, and Pro Level Hockey is more popular. Just because you ignore it doesn't mean its isn't true.
Nobody cares about college hockey in this city! Students putting on their BU jerseys and getting drunk vefore and after games. Its what tjey do becsuse there isnt a football team. The average student couldnt tell you what icing is. I know the few hockey fans around love to talk it up. The average person on the street does not care at all. Honestly. I love hockey and have been severely disappointed by the lack of hockey culture here. I expected to find it here but it's really just like any other American city.

Continue to deny obvious reality if you want. Nobody can stop you.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
Why do these threads exist honestly? You know the narrative that's being pushed. LOOK facts are facts. The NBA is IMMENSELY more popular than NHL. Now you can choose to live in a "Sports Bubble" and cover your eyes and ears and believe NHL has a chance of catching NBA. It doesn't. Everybody posting anecdotal stores doesn't change "Reality". Sorry if that hurts feelings but it's the truth. I don't doubt that Bruins maybe more popular than Celtics in Boston. But what does that even mean? The Celtics are a WORLDWIDE brand and the NBA has worldwide stars. NHL just doesn't.

You can't change the fact that a huge amount of the population in this country doesn't even know NHL exists.
Data suggests that LIGA MX beats NHL in television ratings : Liga MX continues to generate monster viewing numbers on US TV - World Soccer Talk

Torino is much more popular than Juventus in Torino but what does that even mean. Nothing really.

Ratings Reality Check: Tuesday cable ratings: ‘American Horror Story’ holds steady, MLB Playoffs and NBA lead – TV By The Numbers by zap2it.com

The NBA is beating playoff baseball between the dodgers and cubs. If you don't like the NBA just say you don't like the sport but be objective. I get tired of the "I used to watch the NBA" trope. Who cares? The NBA has replaced your fandom with NEW fandom. In other words they really don't need you because

Another Ratings reality Check:TV Ratings: NBA Finals Is Most Watched Since 1998 – Variety
Because this is about the Boston area, not Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Nobody cares about college hockey in this city! Students putting on their BU jerseys and getting drunk vefore and after games. Its what tjey do becsuse there isnt a football team. The average student couldnt tell you what icing is. I know the few hockey fans around love to talk it up. The average person on the street does not care at all. Honestly. I love hockey and have been severely disappointed by the lack of hockey culture here. I expected to find it here but it's really just like any other American city.

Continue to deny obvious reality if you want. Nobody can stop you.
That because you live in Brighton and work in academia so you are surrounded by people from not Boston.

Some games at the Beanpot, Frozen Fenwayand some HEA championship games exceed the combined student population of these schools. More than any College Bball event can say.

The numbers support my argument.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 AM

260 posts, read 299,688 times
Quote:
Because this is about the Boston area, not Atlanta or Dallas.
Okay, i thought this was just about popularity. I didn't know this thread was about Local TV ratings and Local fans. I thought this was about Celtics vs Bruins as in the state of the "institutions".

If that's the case than the Turin analogy is most appropriate. In Boston with the population of ( 600,000) there exists more fandom of the Bruins just like in Turin with a population of (800,000) there exists more fandom for Torino than Juventus but ONLY using that small sample size. If we were to extrapolate into a national level then it's not even close

Last edited by JasonTy; 10-20-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston