Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few large southern cities on the water: Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads, Jacksonville, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa/St. Pete and Houston is on a bay, not far from the Gulf. Other than Boston and New York, most of the larger northeastern cities are on inland waterways, like Philadelphia, Providence, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeyaglad View Post
There aren't hurricanes or tropical storms in the Northeast. The most they worry about it snow storms and heavy rain. Houses on the water in Miami or Florida will be wiped away from hurricanes. It is a waste of money unless you can afford to build a new house every year.
actually, I think at least one major hurricane (or a very bad tropical storm) has hit MA in the past, did a bit of damage. I think (don't quote me on this; I'll have to look this up again) that there was even a hurricane that made it as far north as Canada and did some damage there

it's rare, but it does happen, just like NE does get earthquakes at times. major difference is that it's unlikely Boston/most of NE would ever be destroyed by a hurricane like NOLA and other parts of the South was (yeah it's cold in NE and it snows a lot, but snow doesn't kill and doesn't do as much damage as other natural disasters.)

Old 04-23-2008, 12:58 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
I don't think charol was trying to preach, but I think she got a little off topic. Personally, I wouldn't want to move to the South, unless it was Miami (which isn't the South) or Charleston.

There is one thing I never understood about the South. Why isn't there a major city on the water. The big cities in the south, like Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte are land locked and far from the beach. What makes Boston, NY, LA, and SD great is that they are right on the water. Easy access to the beach is huge IMHO.
Many of the main southern cities were on the water back in the 1700's and 1800's. Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, and Wilmington, NC were all major ports and main cities. Also, cities being located away from the water allows more land to be developed and can be more cost efficient for companies and people moving there.

Even though Boston is on the water, I don't consider the waterfront to be that great. I always thought cities with rivers going through them looked better. Of course anytime water is near a city you need bridges and that usually doesn't help traffic.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
actually, I think at least one major hurricane (or a very bad tropical storm) has hit MA in the past, did a bit of damage. I think (don't quote me on this; I'll have to look this up again) that there was even a hurricane that made it as far north as Canada and did some damage there

it's rare, but it does happen, just like NE does get earthquakes at times. major difference is that it's unlikely Boston/most of NE would ever be destroyed by a hurricane like NOLA and other parts of the South was (yeah it's cold in NE and it snows a lot, but snow doesn't kill and doesn't do as much damage as other natural disasters.)
There was a tremendous Hurricane that hit the northeast in 1938. When I lived in PVD my 70 year old neighbor told me that the dead floated out of their mausoleums. The water was 16ft deep in Downcity.

New England Hurricane of 1938 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Many of the main southern cities were on the water back in the 1700's and 1800's. Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, and Wilmington, NC were all major ports and main cities. Also, cities being located away from the water allows more land to be developed and can be more cost efficient for companies and people moving there.

Even though Boston is on the water, I don't consider the waterfront to be that great. I always thought cities with rivers going through them looked better. Of course anytime water is near a city you need bridges and that usually doesn't help traffic.
I think the waterfront is fab. Castle Island is beautiful. Granted Miami Beach is better, but Boston sure beats the tar (dust) out of Dallas in this category. Also we have a gorgeous river called the Charles. You should check out these places, they are nice!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
I'm moving back to Houston this summer after my 4th semester at BU! I had a great experience here, but not only is my wallet not lovin' it--I got into some health related trouble. I also gotta be with the family. I'm just wondering if anyone else is coming. If so..where and why are you going?
I'm moving to Dallas this summer and not happy about it at all. I sure won't miss the NE winter, but I will miss the downtown. Dallas ain't got none. I'll also miss the architecture and the history. Dallas ain't got none of that either. I also will miss convenience to a major city (NY). Texas ain't got no major cities. I will look forward to the friendly women and the great shopping though. But I don't look forward to the endless driving. What a waste of life being couped up in a car is!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I'm moving to Dallas this summer and not happy about it at all. I sure won't miss the NE winter, but I will miss the downtown. Dallas ain't got none. I'll also miss the architecture and the history. Dallas ain't got none of that either. I also will miss convenience to a major city (NY). Texas ain't got no major cities. I will look forward to the friendly women and the great shopping though. But I don't look forward to the endless driving. What a waste of life being couped up in a car is!
I've been to Boston plenty of times, but I don't think the waterfront is that well used compared to other cities.

Dallas isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The state fair is a blast in the fall. Fort Worth is nearby and is a great area. I read somewhere that Dallas has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the U.S. The skyline in Dallas is very nice looking at night in my opinion, one of the nicest in the U.S. You can still go to Austin and San Antonio. Are the Texas cities the same as Boston, no...but thats what makes it Texas and you just have to appreciate what is there.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Quote:
I've been to Boston plenty of times, but I don't think the waterfront is that well used compared to other cities.
Maybe you forgot the Esplanade which is quite well-used and well-loved and can rival any waterfront in the nation. Have you heard about the nationally televised Boston Pop's 4th of July celebration? The Charles is an amazing resource considering how many universities are along its banks not to mention events such as the dragon boat races and the head of the charles regatta, the world's largest 2 day rowing event. If that is not well used I don't know what is.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Well, I'm actually happy to go back, (I'm counting the days) and I'm sure there are other people who couldn't stand to permanently live in the NE. This wasn't a thread to preach about why you don't want to go back to the South..so please don't. Next time read the post and contribute something relevant to the thread. It'd be much appreciated. Thanks.
The fact that you included "couldn't stand to permanently live in the NE" in your post, most likely means you were looking for a fellow NE basher to jaw with.
BTW, I know people who have been to Houston and they said that it was the "world's biggest strip mall". Sorry, i'm just telling you what I heard.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:

Dallas isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The state fair is a blast in the fall. Fort Worth is nearby and is a great area. I read somewhere that Dallas has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the U.S. The skyline in Dallas is very nice looking at night in my opinion, one of the nicest in the U.S. You can still go to Austin and San Antonio. Are the Texas cities the same as Boston, no...but thats what makes it Texas and you just have to appreciate what is there.
With the exception of commercial trade, most cities historically turned their backs on their water bodies and Boston was no exception. The Charles River was the city's septic system up until the 1890's. most cities have also, over the past 50 to 100 years, learned to embrace their water bodies and again Boston is no exception. In fact Boston has great riverfront usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston