Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM

127 posts, read 163,459 times

Advertisements

I'm moving back to Houston this summer after my 4th semester at BU! I had a great experience here, but not only is my wallet not lovin' it--I got into some health related trouble. I also gotta be with the family. I'm just wondering if anyone else is coming. If so..where and why are you going?

Last edited by basketcase33; 04-20-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
There isn't enough money in the world to make me go back South permanently. I'd rather live in a cardboard box next to the Charles than a mansion in Georgia. I'm going to Georgia for 2 1/2 months this summer but only because I can't get an internship somewhere else due to a summer program abroad. If I could help it, I would never go back. :P

Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There isn't enough money in the world to make me go back South permanently. I'd rather live in a cardboard box next to the Charles than a mansion in Georgia. I'm going to Georgia for 2 1/2 months this summer but only because I can't get an internship somewhere else due to a summer program abroad. If I could help it, I would never go back. :P
Well, I'm actually happy to go back, (I'm counting the days) and I'm sure there are other people who couldn't stand to permanently live in the NE. This wasn't a thread to preach about why you don't want to go back to the South..so please don't. Next time read the post and contribute something relevant to the thread. It'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM

415 posts, read 1,665,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Well, I'm actually happy to go back, (I'm counting the days) and I'm sure there are other people who couldn't stand to permanently live in the NE. This wasn't a thread to preach about why you don't want to go back to the South..so please don't. Next time read the post and contribute something relevant to the thread. It'd be much appreciated. Thanks.
I don't think charol was trying to preach, but I think she got a little off topic. Personally, I wouldn't want to move to the South, unless it was Miami (which isn't the South) or Charleston.

There is one thing I never understood about the South. Why isn't there a major city on the water. The big cities in the south, like Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte are land locked and far from the beach. What makes Boston, NY, LA, and SD great is that they are right on the water. Easy access to the beach is huge IMHO.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Most of the major cities in the South were built around the rail lines or the Mississippi.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Houston is a major city on the water, but it's not really Southern in the traditional sense (which I kinda like), truth be told though, the Gulf isn't anything like the Pacific or Atlantic. You've also got NOLA on the water.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,045 times
I don't really consider Houston as a city on the water. Galveston is on the water. That said, Miami is really the only major city in the South that is on the water. I think this proximity to water is what makes all of these cities expensive.

I miss the mild winters of the south but not the humid summer. Overall, I can't say I miss the south that much.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
I don't really consider Houston as a city on the water. Galveston is on the water. That said, Miami is really the only major city in the South that is on the water. I think this proximity to water is what makes all of these cities expensive.

I miss the mild winters of the south but not the humid summer. Overall, I can't say I miss the south that much.
Not really what this post is about, but in any case, Galveston is part of the metro area. (For the metro lovers.) New Orleans is a good example too. Anyways back to the topic! Any Souther-missers out there?

Last edited by basketcase33; 04-22-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM

32 posts, read 147,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
I don't think charol was trying to preach, but I think she got a little off topic. Personally, I wouldn't want to move to the South, unless it was Miami (which isn't the South) or Charleston.

There is one thing I never understood about the South. Why isn't there a major city on the water. The big cities in the south, like Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte are land locked and far from the beach. What makes Boston, NY, LA, and SD great is that they are right on the water. Easy access to the beach is huge IMHO.

There aren't hurricanes or tropical storms in the Northeast. The most they worry about it snow storms and heavy rain. Houses on the water in Miami or Florida will be wiped away from hurricanes. It is a waste of money unless you can afford to build a new house every year.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Not really what this post is about, but in any case, Galveston is part of the metro area. (For the metro lovers.) New Orleans is a good example too. Anyways back to the topic! Any Souther-missers out there?
I think threads go where they want, especially if you try to push them somewhere else. I'd guess most of the southern bound folks are on the southern state forums looking for where to live!

I don't think New Orleans is on the coast quite yet and hopefully not for many years. While I agree Houston is on the coast, or close enough for all practical purposes, and it certainly is south, I'd be hesitant to call it South, as I see the South and Texas as related, but distinct. That is a debate for some other time, I guess.

Anyway, more on topic, there are things I miss about the South, but come summer when it's 80 and humid and everyone up here complains about "the unbearable summers" I usually forget what they are. If they could just get a Waffle House in Boston I think my nostalgia would be quelled for sure, or at least somewhere that understood the concept of "sweet tea".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston