Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2023, 10:15 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1) I never heard or read Steph say anything about being called or hearing the N-word in Boston, actually after a Google search I can't find out one article like that...and I'm pages in...

but that's indicative of the sort of piling on in myth that gets added to a lot of Boston things people hear one thing and they just assume and add some other stuff intl it because they feel like it fits.
Before you get on your soapbox with the "this is indicative of" it was Draymond Green who said him and Steph were called the N- Word by Boston fans during the finals. Here's the article from The guardian and here's the quote.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...salt-lake-city

And quote:

Quote:
The NBA’s all-time leading scorer, LeBron James, described Celtics fans as “racist as ****” on his series, The Shop, last year. He recalled being cussed at and having beer bottles thrown at him. And he’s not the only NBA champion to detail Celtic fans’ racism. Golden State Warrior Draymond Green said he and Stephen Curry were called the N-word by Celtics fans during last year’s NBA finals.

Quote:
2) I didn't and still don't believe Draymond Green for a split second he was the only one from the Warriors saying that and he mentioned it months after it supposedly happened...no one in the garden from the Celtics or anyone was able to corroborate anything he said. A lot of people go to these games. Stay on in particular I don't really believe him as this does seem like something he would do to get an advantage of derail the Celtics to some degree. In 2017, he said he'd been called the N word a few places but didn't want to get into where.

3) LeBron never said what are he heard. But I've never heard him say he was called a slur or anything, he's been playing in Boston for 19 years. I think he was just standing in solidarity with his bros on the Warriors with whats “cool” and didn't like the “Lebron is a B*tch” T shirts. I went to a game when he was at the garden in 8th grade with a kid from my basketball team, I was about 14 rows up. I definitely didn't hear anything overtly racial- just boos and jeers. There was a lot of” F LeBron” and “Lebrons a princess!” if that's what he mean by racist then I won't debate it. Cuz it happened.
Imma be honest man, you sound like an apologist with these statements. I would never claim Black Men especially those of their status would lie about some fans using racial slurs against Black athletes. It happens at games. Why would they lie? Because it's some conspiracy to single out Boston?

Also Lebron was on his show "The Shop" and his co-host asked him what's one of the places you hate playing in which he quickly responded with "Boston". Here's the link and it starts around 15:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpWRA5fao0

So this had nothing to do with him standing in solidarity.

Quote:
A lot of people in Boston, especially Black Boston journalists, are not going to write about every rumored incident that haplens because it's not in the control of anyone but those individuals who may or may not be racist. There's really a lot more to write about regarding the team and or the city. There are racist fans in the city and metro, and in every city. But how much air time do you want to give them- when does that backfire? It's been written about before. What's new?
But why write an entire article explaining in detail why it's not exactly what Bron think it is? And it's not like Bron said Boston the city was racist. It was in reference to the sport. And it's not like Bron made any statements directed at Black Bostonians.

Quote:
In regards to Dallas- surely you can understand being cheap and having a strong economy are the major draws. That's why *everyone* moves to Dallas. and that doesn't mean it's unpopular. If it's experiencing a lot of back growth to me that equals popularity.
Yeah I can understand those for being major draws. But there's a difference when people desire to move to a city based on admiration and moving to a place for a economic opportunity and cost of living. Especially when you have transplants saying one of the main reasons they chose Dallas over Houston was because Dallas had more economic opportunities. But that Houston had more of the culture they desire and admire.

Quote:
It's already a thing on two of your cities are having major black population growth but Austin and San Antonio are no slouch es relative to the overall black population. I really wasn't talking about Killeen or Waco but I know they're not necessarily unpopular they are places that military folks choose to be stationed- no?
Austin and San Antonio are no slouches but I just wouldn't call them popular. I brought up Killeen since that's the only other Texas metro that has seen some significant growth. And I would say that most military folks tend to stay in Killeen because it's convenient. Waco's Black population growth is pretty stagnant.

Quote:
Really- by your highly specific criteria then no state is popular with any black people, right?- because not every metro in any state sees huge growth?
Black Americans generally focus more on cities and not states. I mean haven't you noticed that Black Americans in general tend to focus on a small group of cities for us to see prosperity in, in comparison to White Americans. White Americans feel like they have an endless amount of cities to live in this country compared to Black Americans. Which is why Black populations are generally concentrated in cities and not spread throughout the state like White Americans. The South might be the only region in America where you see Black people in every corner of the state. And that's where you'll probably see the most pride in states when compared to cities.

Even Roy Wood Jr. made a joke about this on his latest stand up. Saying we as Black artist don't make patriotic songs about America. We talk about cities. That's why I always hear comments from Black people like, "I don't live in Georgia, I live in Atlanta" "I don't live in Florida I live in Miami" "I don't live in Louisiana, I live in New Orleans".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mThkzqbcpU8

starts around 2:30.

Quote:
Many Black Bostonians are defensive if they feel people disrespect the city, I've seen it live. I've also been the one on defense. Some are not- idk. I haven't really taken a poll. But you don't have to have people “out to get you” to be unfairly pigeonholed or routinely disrepected and misunderstood. Some times that just what it is.. We know why people view Boston the way they do- that really needs no explaining. But UE is right in that a lot of white men from Boston or New England are held up and accepted by urban culture or by black people in a way they do not do for Black people from Boston. Mark Wahlberg, Clinton Sparks, Millyz, Adam 22 (from New Hampshire) and others that I won't get into. That right there makes me sideye and is a problem for me. We can, do and should continue to call out the inconsistencies as we see them happening when they exist. I don't think anyone believe back America has it out for Black Bostoniand- that's sensationaling his point. But the willingness to argue Bosotnians down and talk extensively and with an unearned confidence about a city they've never been is extremely common. Or if they have been they've been to a very small area if they were even in the city at all.
Since when has Mark Wahlberg been largely accepted by Black Americans? When he popped up on the scene as a rapper he was laughed at. He only gained "respect" because of some popular movies he's played in over the years and even then he's been called out time and time again for his racist past. I don't think Clinton Sparks nor Millyz are household names in Black America. I mean BIA and Coi Leroy are more relevant to Black Americans than Millyz is.

Now what White Bostonian is held up and accepted by Black people more than New Edition and Bobby Brown? Not to mention Donna Summers and Jasmine Guy who are considered icons with Black people. Hell, I remember when New Kidz on the Block were out and how pissed Black people were that they even existed. Even as a kid I saw them as being a copy cat of New Edition and we took that to heart.

And Adam 22? Really? People tune in to his content cause it's ratched content. People like sensationalized dysfunctional content. He's a culture vulture though and I think there's enough Black folks out there who don't respect him and see past the content.

Now maybe if you were to say, why do Black Bostonians have to answer for Boston's racist reputation where famous White Bostonians don't than maybe that's another topic for another discussion. Like Desus and Mero asking Sam Jay about racism in Boston. Would they have done that with any White Boston comedian? Probably not. And UE was wrong in calling me a snob and accusing me of talking down on Boston. That's team too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 07:48 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Ive been in the Boston the last 7 days. One of the things that is hard to miss is the lack of African Americans outside very specific areas of the city. Even in Dallas, if you're in Uptown, the Park Cities, or Lakewood there is still a significant African American presence visiting those areas. In the Boston equivalents (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, etc.), it is completely absent. Dallas is somewhat segregated, but you don't have to drive to specific areas of town to see African Americans in significant numbers. In Boston, you have to be in Dorchester, Roslindale, Roxbury, etc. to even run across them in any sort of significance.

It's not to say all of Boston is segregated. Roslindale and Roxbury feel relatively integrated. But the upscale areas of the city feel extremely segregated.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:12 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In the Boston equivalents (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, etc.), it is completely absent.
The fact that these two old, rich neighborhoods are very white is compounded with the fact that you'll find a lot of white tourists, college students, or white people from the suburbs walking around in them too.

Definitely to see Boston's diversity, you need to go away from Quincy Market or Copley Square and into the neighborhoods or even into the northern cities (Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, etc.).

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 05-28-2023 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-28-2023, 08:16 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Imma be honest man, you sound like an apologist with these statements. I would never claim Black Men especially those of their status would lie about some fans using racial slurs against Black athletes. It happens at games. Why would they lie? Because it's some conspiracy to single out Boston?

Also Lebron was on his show "The Shop" and his co-host asked him what's one of the places you hate playing in which he quickly responded with "Boston". Here's the link and it starts around 15:30

i agree. i feel like an uncle tom whenever i try to defend boston.

he probably had racist incidents happen to him in the garden but in that show he only mentioned taunting and beer throwing. maybe its racially motivated but becuz its boston we can just jump to the conclusion that its obviously racist (similar to the russull westbrook/kyrie irving example i posted above).

lebron had the n-word spraypainted on his garage in l.a. while he was on a road trip like two years ago. nobody even remembers that. every arguement as to why peeple hate boston celtics brings up that bill russell had his home vandelized during the jim crow era.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:18 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Ive been in the Boston the last 7 days. One of the things that is hard to miss is the lack of African Americans outside very specific areas of the city. Even in Dallas, if you're in Uptown, the Park Cities, or Lakewood there is still a significant African American presence visiting those areas. In the Boston equivalents (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, etc.), it is completely absent. Dallas is somewhat segregated, but you don't have to drive to specific areas of town to see African Americans in significant numbers. In Boston, you have to be in Dorchester, Roslindale, Roxbury, etc. to even run across them in any sort of significance.

It's not to say all of Boston is segregated. Roslindale and Roxbury feel relatively integrated. But the upscale areas of the city feel extremely segregated.
Are you making a complete 180 stand after your visit?

Dallas is not segregated at all by American standards smh. Being in the US alone automatically makes it somewhat segregated but it’s not among the more segregated communities. As you pointed out, you see African Americans in Dallas with social circles that extend to other groups in all parts of town.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The fact that these two old, rich neighborhoods are very white is compounded with the fact that you'll find a lot of white tourists, college students, or white people from the suburbs walking around in them too.

Definitely to see Boston's diversity, you need to go away from Quincy Market or Copley Square and into the neighborhoods or even into the northern cities (Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, etc.).
Trust me, Im well aware. Ive been staying in Roslindale with a friend and working downtown. That is my point. In the Dallas equivalents, you see African Americans in significant numbers. I am specifically referring to that one demographic because the whole point of this thread is about them specifically.

As for other types of diversity, you hear Portuguese and Mandarin just about everywhere here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Are you making a complete 180 stand after your visit?

Dallas is not segregated at all by American standards smh. Being in the US alone automatically makes it somewhat segregated but it’s not among the more segregated communities. As you pointed out, you see African Americans in Dallas with social circles that extend to other groups in all parts of town.
Im not even sure what you think you read.

I said Dallas is SOMEWHAT segregated and it is. Most cities are. The whole point of recent trends in this thread, if you read the last page, is that there was a LOT of comparing Dallas and Boston on segregation. My point is that you can see African Americans in decent numbers anywhere in Dallas. That is not the case in Boston.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Im not even sure what you think you read.

I said Dallas is SOMEWHAT segregated and it is. Most cities are. The whole point of recent trends in this thread, if you read the last page, is that there was a LOT of comparing Dallas and Boston on segregation. My point is that you can see African Americans in decent numbers anywhere in Dallas. That is not the case in Boston.
It seemed that your post was referencing Boston to another city that’s considerably segregated. If that wasn’t the case, I take it back.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It seemed that your post was referencing Boston to another city that’s considerably segregated. If that wasn’t the case, I take it back.
It wasn’t. I only referenced Dallas because on the previous page, the comparisons were between Boston and Dallas. My point was that they aren’t comparable especially where African Americans are concerned.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpWRA5fao0
If you scroll up in the thread, you would see that this was discussed here already. In fact, Lebron’s comments reignited the thread after it was dead for a few months.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
This is what we see mostl daily RedLion, so it makes sense we are defensive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csy1QP-u...RlODBiNWFlZA==

"I don't understand being a minority and being a boston sports fan"

See the quoted tweets
https://twitter.com/nouc_mami/status...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

the way y’all b erasing the black/brown population of boston is so crazy cause there’s such a large one lol
https://twitter.com/tygrswrld/status...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

They also act like being against boston teams is gon save us lmfao
https://twitter.com/kobkdior/status/...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

People who say **** like this are so ass backwards they genuinely believe dunking on non-white Bostonians is a based take. Like really think about that for a second

The brazen disrespect to Black and brown Bostonians in these takes is pathetic and tired

It be the mfs who never stepped foot in Boston who hate on us the most and have no clue about the diversity in the city.
https://twitter.com/Semajatrois_/sta...115098113?s=20

Can y’all come up with something else? Lol
https://twitter.com/castrowas95/stat...651241472?s=20

From someone who lives in California and used to live in Boston, this logic dumb as hell. Cus there’s more racism out here. But I digress IYKYK
https://twitter.com/TyVeClic/status/...561552897?s=20

People really don’t get to say “oh I’m not talking about yall” andpeople believe it... To not acknowledge nonwhite or black Boston fans/Bostonians because that is the point.

when you say “Boston is” or “Boston fans” are you are talking about the whole city whether you meant to or not because you don’t qualify it, or exempt anyone from it. You just don't care enough too. You characterize all 17,064 fans in the arena and all 675,000 in the city in one quote you don’t get to then come back and say “but I wasn’t asking about y’all”or have other say it for you online- because yes you really were and if you weren’t you should make it clear. The lack of acknowledgment and care/respect always going to be disrespectful.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-28-2023 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston