Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times

Advertisements

why did i even bring it up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 AM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Buffalonian, I like your loyalty to Buffalo, but there's no reason to say that Rochester sucks, it seems a little juvenile and spiteful. And usually when someone says "there's nothing to do here", it tells more of the person saying so than of the area, it's something you normally hear from teens just about anywhere. Rochester certainly doesn't lack in things to do. I agree with you that Buffalo has more potential and it's exciting to see things developing on the waterfront finally, and Rochester does seem to have a little snobbiness that you don't see in Buffalo. I like Buffalo a little better, but I love both cities and I will always root for all of western NY.
Gotta agree - saying somewhere "sucks" and that "my city is better than your city" doesnt really add much to the conversation. Buffalonian, you are not getting yelled at for your opinion but your style. I know you've got good info in you so lets promote discussion, not name-calling. We don't need to emulate the shallow and insipid "arguments" that we get bombarded with on cable "news" do we? (Sorry - I need to dis Fox, etc. wheneever I can LOL)

Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM

121 posts, read 382,765 times
well not like this is new to anyone, but after today, I'd say Charlotte is almost exactly like Buffalo because half of Buffalo and half of Rochester are there. I watched the bills game today with about 200 bills fan at a tavern in Charlotte, NC and everyone I talked to were from buffalo and rochester. It was great for me, who is stuck living here in NC, but sad because I am pretty sure why most had decided to uproot---JOBS. grrrrrrr. bring us back NY....while we still want to come!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
well not like this is new to anyone, but after today, I'd say Charlotte is almost exactly like Buffalo because half of Buffalo and half of Rochester are there. I watched the bills game today with about 200 bills fan at a tavern in Charlotte, NC and everyone I talked to were from buffalo and rochester. It was great for me, who is stuck living here in NC, but sad because I am pretty sure why most had decided to uproot---JOBS. grrrrrrr. bring us back NY....while we still want to come!
BTW, do they have a lot of independent businesses there a la' the Elmwood Strip?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
I think it would be insulting to say that Charlotte was like Buffalo. Aside from Buffalo residents moving there, they are nothing alike. Buffalo has unique historic architecture, unique restaurants, ethnic enclaves, 4 seasons, etc. Charlotte is like a giant boring suburb.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
^ Have to agree...this is even more true for "the triangle". Nice place, but pretty sterile and unexciting. This being said after living there for nearly 12 years before FINALLY moving back to beautiful upstate ny.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
^ Have to agree...this is even more true for "the triangle". Nice place, but pretty sterile and unexciting. This being said after living there for nearly 12 years before FINALLY moving back to beautiful upstate ny.
I'm glad for you in your ability to move back to Beautiful Upstate New York. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM

121 posts, read 382,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I think it would be insulting to say that Charlotte was like Buffalo. Aside from Buffalo residents moving there, they are nothing alike. Buffalo has unique historic architecture, unique restaurants, ethnic enclaves, 4 seasons, etc. Charlotte is like a giant boring suburb.
True, they are nothing alike. One has a growing economy base and one a shrinking & aging population.

And believe me, I am always on the side of pro-Buffalo but if you do spend a lot of time in the downtown area of charlotte, it a lot more vibrant and less ghetto than B-lo anyday filled with all of the 20, 30, and early 40-somethings that have all left. Not that it is any better, but its work. Here even the homeless people are out working selling papers........

Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
Of course everyone you talked to was from Buffalo or Rochester. Have you ever met a Bills fan from somewhere else?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 198,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
Of course everyone you talked to was from Buffalo or Rochester. Have you ever met a Bills fan from somewhere else?
i'm from elsewhere - you have now met a bills fan from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area