Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Says who? And God has been around much longer than the Earth....

Relativism is great until you get hurt by it. It only goes so far. I know you don't believe in God--that's your choice--but at some point there is right and wrong. Who decides? You? Me? Society?
I'm not arguing whether God is true or not, because that is way off topic. I am saying, however, that the arguement to legalize homosexual marriage can be used to redefine marriage anyway one wants. It's a relativists dream.
Like I said, relativism only goes so far. Then you get hurt by it, but--hey!--it's "right" for that person. So what can you say?
The problem is that people like you want to force their belief in god on everyone. Keep god out of laws and keep your beliefs to your selves. I do not believe in god, I do not believe there ever was a god. I am a human just as you are, I deserve the same rights and privileges that you enjoy, just because you have these unfounded fears that allowing gays to marry will put us on that slippery slope leading to marrying ones dog or toaster is no reason to disallow us marriage to the ones we love. It was argued once that allowing blacks to marry whites, whites to marry asians, etc would lead to people wanting to marry their horse, their car or their sibling. It did not happen, did it? Again, we are humans as you are, not creatures to be treated as less than equal. We do not want a church wedding, so what is the big friggin deal? Keep your church wedding, it is not legal any way until you get a civil marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The problem is that people like you want to force their belief in god on everyone. Keep god out of laws and keep your beliefs to your selves. I do not believe in god, I do not believe there ever was a god. I am a human just as you are, I deserve the same rights and privileges that you enjoy, just because you have these unfounded fears that allowing gays to marry will put us on that slippery slope leading to marrying ones dog or toaster is no reason to disallow us marriage to the ones we love. It was argued once that allowing blacks to marry whites, whites to marry asians, etc would lead to people wanting to marry their horse, their car or their sibling. It did not happen, did it? Again, we are humans as you are, not creatures to be treated as less than equal. We do not want a church wedding, so what is the big friggin deal? Keep your church wedding, it is not legal any way until you get a civil marriage.
I can't rep you enough. Besides it's already legal in a few states and it has worked out fine for these states. it is also legal in Canada where it hasn't led to marrying animals. That's just some religious BS excuse.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Gibbon apes mate for life, they do no have "affaires" they don't part from each other. Seems god gets a better deal with Gibbon "marriage" than with humans.

Marriage is a religious legal concept and did not exist until agriculture allowed for surplus food a priest class and government class sponging off the working people.

Humans, have always joined together to for the multidecade job of raising children. Women kept the man around by offering free access to sex, which is probably why human females don't do estrus like most mammals.

So the joining of man and woman was to raise children

Eventually governments and religions got involved in it.

There is no biological reason for men and women to create a couple if there will be no children, which is common in our society.

There is no biological reason for men and men or women and women not to create a couple.

There is only religious governmental reasons, and those may change from culture to culture, for anyone to think their religious tradition creates any "absolutes" leads to intolerance, hate, death for those who don't share that tradition. It is the reason for the Crusades, it is the reason for the Bin Ladens.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
How do you know I don't believe in god?

Christians are as relativist as anyone else, it is the human condition.

A quick example, some christians believe speaking in tongues is god's work, some christians believe speaking in tongues is the devils work, and then there are the mormons.
Ah, but did I say "Christians"? I have not not been speaking of the "church". If you wish to discuss the "church", we can do that in a different thread in a different forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
"People like you"? You are making an awfully big assumption about someone you don't know. What about people like you? Are you saying you are perfect? Are you saying you are better?
People like me, eh? Ignorance coupled with sweeping generalizations are the basis of bigotry. Be careful what you say.

You are right when you say the arguement is a slippery slope, because it is. I don't know how far down that slope we'd slide, but the bottom of it is pretty scary to me (and should be for anyone with even slight sense of morality--I know, "what's right for you... etc"... relativism).

BTW, who decides what is "right" and "wrong"?

I'm sorry you don't believe there is a God out there. Yes, sorry. What gives life meaning? From dust to dust. In the words of Kansas: "Just a drop of water on an endless sea". One moment we are here, the next we are gone and forgotten. Sad.

Good luck!

Quote:
Gibbon apes mate for life, they do no have "affaires" they don't part from each other. Seems god gets a better deal with Gibbon "marriage" than with humans.

Marriage is a religious legal concept and did not exist until agriculture allowed for surplus food a priest class and government class sponging off the working people.

Humans, have always joined together to for the multidecade job of raising children. Women kept the man around by offering free access to sex, which is probably why human females don't do estrus like most mammals.

So the joining of man and woman was to raise children

Eventually governments and religions got involved in it.

There is no biological reason for men and women to create a couple if there will be no children, which is common in our society.

There is no biological reason for men and men or women and women not to create a couple.

There is only religious governmental reasons, and those may change from culture to culture, for anyone to think their religious tradition creates any "absolutes" leads to intolerance, hate, death for those who don't share that tradition. It is the reason for the Crusades, it is the reason for the Bin Ladens.
I know you believe this and are sure it is true, but just know that others have a different view and that theirs is no less relevant or factual than yours. You can belittle it, but can you prove yours and disprove theirs? No.
So why does your relativism not apply to that? Why does it only apply when you think it is beneficial to you are your views? Why did you not bother to answer the questions I asked in my previous post?
Do you not agree that relativism can and will eventually burn every one of us at some point? What happens when someone's "right for them" intrudes on what is "right for you"?
Who decides what is "right" and "wrong"? Where does "morals" come from?

I know you are all high-and-mighty and "king" of the California board at C-D, so I hope I'm not offending you.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM

277 posts, read 379,861 times
I can't believe there are people on here who believe in God, but not in Global warming. LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 PM

253 posts, read 349,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
I can't believe there are people on here who believe in God, but not in Global warming. LOL

And the flaming goes on...

Deep? Thoughtful? Helpful?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:38 PM

277 posts, read 379,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post
And the flaming goes on...

Deep? Thoughtful? Helpful?
Excuse me? Flaming? Have you not read this thread or is your point to follow me around CD? Is there a reason you're yearning for my attention?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I just can't believe anyone would listen to Al Gore LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 02:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
I know you believe this and are sure it is true, but just know that others have a different view and that theirs is no less relevant or factual than yours.
Of course my ideas are more factual, as they are based on research, not belief.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:
Of course my ideas are more factual, as they are based on research, not belief.

Yes, says you.
My beliefs are based on research, too. But I have come to different conclussions than you. Hey, isn't it "what's right for you" and "what's right for me"?, right?
I guess what's "right for me" isn't as important as "what's right for you". And here we see the problem with relativism. Relativism doesn't mix well with elitism.

Why not answer any of my questions? Who decides what's "right" and "wrong"? That one should not be too hard for you to answer. We can start with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California