Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 PM

95 posts, read 466,894 times

Advertisements

See i didn't know the temp was high in Bakersfield. I have a friend who lives in the Rosedale area and the claims that it isn't that hot there. But here in Arizona the temp is like 118, and i can't take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Pugluv1...If your looking to escape the heat,then Bakersfield isn't the place for you.

It sounds like your looking for someplace near the Coast,but this also means it will be pricey.

If I were you,I would stay put in AZ and travel throughout the Coastal Areas of CA so you'll be able to decide what area you'll like to relocate to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
When comparing Bakersfield to a Summer in Phoenix,Bakersfield isn't as hot,but today the high temp for Bakersfield did reach 109.

Our temps are not as hot as Phoenix primarily because of our Location and Elevation...Their is also no Monsoon Season in Bakersfield,so rainfall is less than in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLuv1 View Post
See i didn't know the temp was high in Bakersfield. I have a friend who lives in the Rosedale area and the claims that it isn't that hot there. But here in Arizona the temp is like 118, and i can't take it.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,853 times
Seriously pugluv, if you don't like hot weather like Phoenix, don't move to Bakersfield. It may not have as many months as Phoenix in the heat department but it is hot for a good four months. It does have some nicer months for sure but then in the winter it can get pretty cold and foggy. We were having our house built in November and there was a freeze that burst the pipes in the house and had water damage delaying our move in date. Have you read up on the tule fog yet? It's so thick you can't see the house across the street. It's so bad at times there are school delays for the kids.

Anyway, to me, there are so many beautiful place in CA that you could choose. I think there are some areas cheaper than others but you have to do the research. Someone else mentioned taking a trip there, I would advise you also to do that before picking up and moving to Bakersfield because your friend lives there. How about the San Luis Obispo area? Santa Maria area? I've heard the San Diego area has more affordable areas if you go inland a little bit.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Just dont let someone who used to live here make up your mind for you, come visit and look for yourself.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,853 times
Of course not roaddog, she should go to Bakersfield along with all the other places. She is the one who keeps saying she can't take hot weather. Bakersfield has many nice areas but it's not worth it to someone who cannot take extreme weather.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM

Bakersfield compaired to Phoenix is not extreme weather, I've been in Phoenix.
We get a week of really cold weather and the rest is fairly nice and the fog in Kern is moderate compaired to years ago, we only get dence fog for a week or two at the most, I ride a motorcycle to work year round and only drive a car maybe 30 days out of the year due to rain, fog and extreme heat.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Roaddog i agree with you i have to see for myself. I did say i don't like it real hot...but i don't think anything compares to Phoenix either than going to HELL. I do have have a friend that lives there and she said it's not as hot as Phoenix either. Just last week we we're up to 119...now that's hot to me.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Something you all may want to consider is the mountain areas near Bakersfield. I live about 45 minutes south of Bakersfield, and the temperatures are usually 10 to 15 degrees cooler during the summer, and the winter, too, for that matter, so we have four seasons. Tehachapi is about 40 minutes to the east, and has similar weather. There is also the Lake Isabella area, but it's not much cooler. Some of the other mountain communities within about an hour of Bakersfield are Woody, Walker Basin, Hart Flat, Keene, and Alta Sierra. The climates vary for each of these areas, so you'd have to check that out before picking a place to live. There are a lot of folks that live in these areas and commute to Bakersfield regularly, and there's not nearly as much traffic as heading south into the L.A. region. There are other areas near me (i.e. Lebec) that are even closer to Bakersfield than I am, and that are still in the hills where it's a lot cooler than in the valley. You can have more comfortable weather and still be pretty close to Bakersfield if that's where you have your heart set on moving.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 PM

This is one lady had to say about PHoenix, and she took the words right out of my mouth.

the air is horrible, it gets to be 117 or more during the summer - even the nights are miserable - can get quite cold during the winter and they have big dust storms - terrible for anyone with allergies - I think it is just one big ugly, hot place. The crime is very high, housing prices in decent areas are expensive - the town is spread out and you end up driving all over the place and the traffic is bad. Can you tell I don't like Phoenix?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM

I just got back from four days in Arizona on the colorado river, there is no way that compairs to Bakersfields heat, over 100 by 8AM, I'm glad to be home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California