Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 41,108 times

Advertisements

how about the sierras.................placer valley.............grass valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 11:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
The Sierra foothills are nice, Grass Valley is not as progressive as Nevada City, lots of old hippies and old hippie homesteads in the surrrounding area,

All of the foothills south to Placerville, Angels Camp etc are good. My beef is the crowding.. I don't care for masses of people and areas of high growth.

Personally, I can't recomend anything south of Bakersfield, but that is me.. I like wide open spaces.

My family has farmed in the San Luis Obispo Santa Maria area for 100 years.. I know it well, but again, the masses of people and lack of public land bother me.

I live near Lake Tahoe, which is paradise,,, but again, in our town there are plans for 8,000 new homes and right now, six golf courses. We will be bailing out as soon as the girls finish high school.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 41,108 times
I lived in a town called Buelton for a short time...........sortof down the road from Santa Maria..........it was very nice........but the price of housing was climbing faster than I could keep up with. Its very nice thruout the Santa Ynez area..........alot of wealthy people with ranches. So owning would be out of the question for me. I work for a company thats building a facility in Rocklin.............I guess thats by a place called Auburn.............what do you think? Is this also a place thats attracting the masses? Is this area around the sierras as nice as the Santa Ynez valley?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 AM

Rocklin is nearly very nice, the foothills are attractive, close to skiing and hiking in the Sierra. You can run to Sacramento for shopping. There is a big good mall in Roseville. Hot summers rainy winters, check real estate prices,,,

Old 10-02-2006, 07:34 AM

436 posts, read 681,940 times
"We will be bailing out as soon as the girls finish high school."

If you don't mind me asking greatbasinguide, what places are you two considering when you bail from the SLO area?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Bail out

Actually,, we live in Truckee, the 9 month winters are getting to us, I have been in Truckee for thirty years.. So,,, where will we go? (snowed last night)

Depending on family affairs we would return to one of the family farms near SLO ,,, the house I grew up in.. Good weather, nice house, the lack of public land and the volume of people are the drawbacks.

If we do not return to SLO area, we would go to Central Nevada. We have land out there, I like the emptiness, the fine wilderness areas and the lack of people.

Either way we are likely to winter in Mexico and spend Summers in the states.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:05 PM

15 posts, read 198,660 times
I recommend you San DIego, San Diego is the perfect place to live.. It's very nice and the coolest city in America

Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 74,248 times
California like any other place has its virtues and its evils... I have lived in various places in California from San Francisco to the Central Valley. Each having something to offer... There isn't a place free of crime...and wherever one goes, safety is always an issue--even in Amish country. That out of the way, being that you are a writer and perhaps enjoy relative solitude I am going to suggest a place that although nestled in the metropolitan area of the East Bay offers one that feeling of being in a faraway remote place... Drums please.... The Castro Valley Foothills! Surrounded by the Lake Cabot hills. Where the deer and wild-turkey still roam free... good luck. PS--Castro Valley is on the other side of SF across the bay, more southward ( I am not a city person but when I visit and stay there with a friend I feel as if I were in Colorado Springs CO without the cold. By the way it never gets cold. Houses could be pricey up in the hills but as you descend into the valley prices are more reasonable as anything can be reasonable for CA)

Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,126 times
Default SHASTA and Northern CA

Redding ca in the shasta county is very beautiful. We have the trinity alps to the west of us. Mount Shasta an hour north of us great skiing. Small but good. We have San Francisco 3 hours south from us us and SAC is 2 hours. We are 3 hours east from Reno. We have all four seasons. However if the heat bothers you do not move here because in the summertime it is HOT. We have Lake Shasta and Whiskytown National Forest with a great Lake too. No seadoos allowed which makes it not so busy. We hyave waterfalls you can hike to that are just beautiful. Also Burney Falls which I have to say is one of the most beautiful I have seen and I just got back from Maui. Which was beautiful but I was like where is the water in these waterfalls. The housing is calming down. Appearently word got out about us when the housing industry went crazy. We are thre hours from the nearest ocean. Humbildt county, Trinidad area is awesome. Redwood forests and Patricks point state park.
Email me with any q's you have. Good Luck.
Jeanette

Old 10-22-2006, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,697 times
Cool FL or CA

If you have to work (commute, traffic, gas prices, etc) or worry about taxes, stick to FL--IMHO (been there dun that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California