Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times

Advertisements

I've seen it over and over in various threads about Section 8 people bringing neighborhoods down.

When my husband and I first got married, we rented an apt. in Lake View Terrace (a nice name for Pacoima). The apt. complex was originally built as condos and that idea was scraped and made into apts. The complex was really nice and pretty. Park like setting; crystal clean pool, quiet neighbors. Now the neighborhood surrounding it was bad and still is. But when you entered the gates of this apt. complex, it made you forget what was just right outside.

We lived there for 3 years. Towards the end of our stay there, the new owners moved in Section 8 people whenever an apt. became available to rent. Why? Because the goverment was paying them $1400 per apt. rented to a Section 8 applicant. Towards the end of our stay, our little 820 sq.ft. apt. was only getting $850 a month out of us for rent. It made sense to rent to Section 8'ers seeing as how you can charge them $250 a month and then collect the $1400 from the goverment on top of that.

The clientel of renters took a nose dive that would make a fighter pilot envious. Drug dealers, hookers, etc. Our neighbor below us sold crack out of the apt., during the day... and at night she'd leave her 6 yr. old twins home alone and go out, dress up, and work Foothill Blvd. LOL... You can't write stuff like this for movies! It was surreal! LOL.

I've been back twice (about 2 years ago) to visit an elderly friend that still lived there at the time. The downward sprial of that place simply astounished me. You couldn't even get me to drive by that place today. No way!

Am I wrong in blaming it on Section 8 people? I mean, there was a great family that lived there that were Section 8 due to the Northridge Earthquake. They acted nothing like the Section 8 people that moved in later. I've read about the Lancaster/ Palmdale downfall and the influx of Section 8 people into that area. And it boggles my mind. Can it really be the people of Section 8?!?!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
I should also add that I don't know much about Section 8. I know the mention of it makes homeowners cringe.
I don't know how one qualify's for Section 8; not sure if Section 8 is only a California thing...

I know... I should Google it! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/bonk.gif (broken link) I know there are no Section 8's where we live... and with our previous expierience, I hope there never is!http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/2pray.gif (broken link)

Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Default How Section 8 works... based on my experience

Section 8 is one of the HUD programs (Federal Housing and Urban Development) that is administered on a local level to provide low income families a rent subsidy to make it possible for a family to rent an apartment/home meeting basic Housing Quality Standards. Basic Housing Quality Standards are more stringent than renting to non-Section 8 families.

Conventional Housing is generally also available along with Section 8. Conventional Housing is sometimes referred to as the "Projects" because Conventional housing is generally government owned and Section 8 housing is privately owned.

The basic rule is that no qualifying family should pay more than 30% of the family income for rent AND utilities. For some families their share of the rent can be anywhere from a few dollars plus utilities to almost the entire rent amount... dependant solely on the the family income.

This income is generally derived from General Assistance, Social Security, State Disability... although you will also find large single parent families or families with a disabled spouse with the other spouse working regular jobs, such as bus drivers, pre school teachers... etc. At one time, a family of 4 could earn near 50K in some parts of California and still qualify for some rent assistance. I'm not sure about the current income limit.

Section 8 came into being in an attempt by the Federal Government to disperse low income families into mainstream neighborhoods vs. grouping them together in the projects.

Generally, families with a gainfully employed adult are grateful for the assistance and sometimes even reach the point where they no longer qualify due to increased earnings... this would be a success story!

On the other spectrum, you also have families that are multi-generationally dependant on HUD. The most common scenario that I come across is three generations living in one subsidized unit... the grand daughter at an early age follows in her Mother's footsteps and becomes pregnant as a single parent and applies for a housing assistance voucher (Section 8) in her own name at age 18... and this is one way the cycle repeats.

In most areas, the waiting list can easily run 5 to 8 years from initial application to receiving a voucher. Generally, families with a disabled member do not have to wait as long. In times of Natural Disaster, HUD may issue Emergency Vouchers as was the case with Hurricane Katrina.

One of the cornerstones of the program is that the rent charged can not be more than comparable units in the building or neighborhood. Also the units total rent has to fall within the guidelines for that community... In other words... Section 8 will not pay luxury rental rates.

I have seen working, non-section 8 families with several children have 3 kids to a room... whereas Section 8 would classify the family as being under housed because it only allows 2 children per bedroom. Sometimes it makes working families wonder why they go through all the trouble to work when life "Appears" to be so much easier on the government dole.

An important fact is that once a family is in the Section 8 program it normally automatically qualifies for a vast array of other programs... such as reduced utility rates, low cost or no cost children's health insurance, free school lunches, food stamps... etc.

Section 8 can be administered by either a city or county. Once you have a voucher there is no limit on where you can move in the State as long as you can find a unit with rent falling within the guidelines. Moving only requires issue of a "Transfer Certificate"

As I said, you can rent a home in Beverly Hills with a Section 8 certificate providing you can find one with rent that is low enough to fit within the program parameters and a property owner willing to agree to HUD regulations governing Section 8 rentals.

Some of the rules are as simple as each room having at least one window with a window screen or having a fire extinguisher in the unit.

There is a strict "No Tolerance" Drug use rule that will result in the family being "Kicked Off" the program. In reality, this has proven very difficult to enforce because illegal drug use is often difficult to prove and the stakes are quite high with people often fearing retribution for coming forward. In California the situation is even more difficult since the advent of various Medical Marijuana ordinances.

Sorry for the long post... but I've worked with Section 8 rentals since 1982 and it is a constantly evolving program.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-12-2007 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 07-12-2007, 01:41 AM

16 posts, read 89,102 times
HUD, welfare, food stamps, and all sort of gov. help should be for a limited period of time. I know a lady with 2 kids (17 and 9) who has been living under welfare for more than 7 years. She can afford to buy her sons $2k laptops, $5k camera's lens, PSP, PS3, and a lot of other gadgets. WTH????? Sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just venting because I can't stand people who take advantage of the system...not wanting to work...while others are busting their @ss off working and paying taxes to feed this people. Oh! and her sons attend to San Marino schools (I don't know how she did it), though her oldest son couldn't get into college.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:46 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
I've seen it over and over in various threads about Section 8 people bringing neighborhoods down.

When my husband and I first got married, we rented an apt. in Lake View Terrace (a nice name for Pacoima). The apt. complex was originally built as condos and that idea was scraped and made into apts. The complex was really nice and pretty. Park like setting; crystal clean pool, quiet neighbors. Now the neighborhood surrounding it was bad and still is. But when you entered the gates of this apt. complex, it made you forget what was just right outside.

We lived there for 3 years. Towards the end of our stay there, the new owners moved in Section 8 people whenever an apt. became available to rent. Why? Because the goverment was paying them $1400 per apt. rented to a Section 8 applicant. Towards the end of our stay, our little 820 sq.ft. apt. was only getting $850 a month out of us for rent. It made sense to rent to Section 8'ers seeing as how you can charge them $250 a month and then collect the $1400 from the goverment on top of that.

The clientel of renters took a nose dive that would make a fighter pilot envious. Drug dealers, hookers, etc. Our neighbor below us sold crack out of the apt., during the day... and at night she'd leave her 6 yr. old twins home alone and go out, dress up, and work Foothill Blvd. LOL... You can't write stuff like this for movies! It was surreal! LOL.

I've been back twice (about 2 years ago) to visit an elderly friend that still lived there at the time. The downward sprial of that place simply astounished me. You couldn't even get me to drive by that place today. No way!

Am I wrong in blaming it on Section 8 people? I mean, there was a great family that lived there that were Section 8 due to the Northridge Earthquake. They acted nothing like the Section 8 people that moved in later. I've read about the Lancaster/ Palmdale downfall and the influx of Section 8 people into that area. And it boggles my mind. Can it really be the people of Section 8?!?!
I hate to generalize but... A few poor people add a nice diversity to the neighborhood... a whole bunch and things go downhill. It brings in too many people who aren't out working during the day, in school or doing something constructive. And most poor people are good folks but they often have a troublemaker in their family or troublemakers as friends.

I recall that sociologist or anthropologist or whoever looked at this phenom from a scientific point of view. Some came to the conclusion that huge government housing projects where unhelpful because the folks living in these enclaves never saw how the rest of live - working, going to school, putting our trash in the trashcan, etc.... Kids grew up with no role models for normal behavior. They began to advocate for more section 8 type housing - spread the poor through middle class neighborhoods. But it sounds like, from your post, that a few section 8 leads to a whole building of section 8.

Last edited by LALady; 07-12-2007 at 02:55 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00kies View Post
HUD, welfare, food stamps, and all sort of gov. help should be for a limited period of time. I know a lady with 2 kids (17 and 9) who has been living under welfare for more than 7 years. She can afford to buy her sons $2k laptops, $5k camera's lens, PSP, PS3, and a lot of other gadgets. WTH????? Sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just venting because I can't stand people who take advantage of the system...not wanting to work...while others are busting their @ss off working and paying taxes to feed this people. Oh! and her sons attend to San Marino schools (I don't know how she did it), though her oldest son couldn't get into college.
From my experience, once someone is on government assistance they remain on it. Probably the only thing that would bring this woman off government asst is to marry a rich man. The government is the daddy/husband of this family.

Look at it from a practical point of view. This lady probably hasn't worked for 7 years or more. Her job options might be to enter the work force at $7 bucks an hour plunging her and family into extreme poverty with no health care. She's got housing, health care, food stamps, etc... It would take a big jump in wages (proabably to $25 per hour) to match the situation she has. Would YOU walk away from that?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 AM

82 posts, read 358,658 times
Here are some helpful things I have found..... If you are dealing with Section 8 in your area.... This is mainly for those of us in the Los Angeles County area,, but still contact if you are having problems for further assistance of who to call

Welcome to the Section8Cheats.com Home page

And also
Contact County Supervisor Mike Antonovich's office at (661) 726-3600 as soon as possible. You'll want to speak to Christine or Pat and review the case with them for the property if you are having any problems with Section 8 renters.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM

82 posts, read 358,658 times
I also wanted to add that in Lancaster we now have a Strict Code Enforcement for the city, for maintaining properties, if you have overgrown lawns, dead lawns, cars parked on dirt or lawns, any broken windows, etc. contact the Lancaster Code Enforcement, they are offenses, Sect 8 or not and the owner will get a notice, you can be anonymous, the owner has about 30 days to correct the problem or they will be fined. SO CALL ASAP, take what measures you can.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00kies View Post
The program is designed so the family need only spend 30% of their income on shelter... so this leaves 70% of the family income for other things... and then there is also money from extended family and boyfriends for life's little luxuries.

I've never lived in a home with cable TV... but I find it amusing that the first two questions I would be asked when showing a vacant unit to someone on Section 8 are, "Is the home wired for Cable and Phones in every room?"

From my experience, multiple phones lines and cable TV with premium channels are found in 100% of Section 8 units. Today, multiple phone lines have been somewhat replaced by cell phones.

Another interesting factoid is that it is quite common for utility bills to be in the names of children... sometimes toddlers. Seems that PG&E does not like to provide new service to people that have outstanding balances from previous addresses. I don't know how they do it, but I saw one last night in the name of a 3 year old. (The letter carrier put the PG&E bill in the wrong box and I was asked if I knew the name)

All of the recent privacy laws have certainly made it much easier for people to "Get Over on the system"

Just because you see expensive Cameras and Computers don't automatically think they have been paid for. Credit is very easy to get and often retailers run promotions such as "Make no Payments for 12 months" or something similar.

I've seen two Section 8 families buy brand new cars only to see them repossessed 3 or 4 months later.

This is far from being on topic... My biggest gripe was several years ago when I had to tell a Section 8 family that I would not be by to do some landscape work until after April 15th.

The resident was clearly unhappy with my response and pressed me further as to why... I explained that I was still working on my taxes... she did not have a clue as to what I was talking about... when I pressed her... she replied that she wouldn't know anything about taxes because she is poor and has NEVER had to worry about taxes... this is from a healthy 35 year old Grandmother that has NEVER been employed... She was born in California and raised by her single parent Mother in a rent subsidized apartment.

I have a hard time believing this is what was envisioned when Section 8 was created... generations of people making Section 8 a way of life...

I have also witnessed a few success stories of hard working families leaving the program... but sadly, this is a rare exception, rather than the rule...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-12-2007 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Please don't get me started on Section 8 people! My apartment complex used to be quiet and peaceful, with working families. Now it's a mixture of those of us who can't afford to move out due to rent control vs. the Section 8 morons - the ones who yell at 3:00 a.m. as if it's broad daylight, the ones who talk with their buddies with their car stereos blasting, again at 2:00 a.m., and so on. These are also the ones who invite their friends and acquaintances to do their laundry at our laundry facilities! I could go on, but I'll just get more angry. And yes, my landlord does it solely for the money. In fact, the only reason anyone ever gets evicted around here is for not paying their rent.

I have compassion and sympathy for disabled people on Section 8, or poor people who are really trying. Unfortunately, these aren't the types of people who live in my building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California