Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes you "heard". Why would the average life span of teachers be less than the general population? Teaching is not physically demanding...
You are grossly oversimplifying things. Teaching is very stressful and that can and does effect a person physically.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
The sooner the youth wakes up to this reality the better, time to get the most destructive generation out of office.
If you can get them off their lazy asses to vote, go for it.

Have you considered having us put to sleep? That'll get us out of the way for the hard charging twenty-somethings gnashing at their bits out there.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You are grossly oversimplifying things. Teaching is very stressful and that can and does effect a person physically.
Not only that but, as stated, it was only recently that changes were enacted to permit teachers to start getting Medicare benefits but for most, since they didn't pay into the system for 40 quarters, they come with a healthy pricetag that few can afford. Those retired years ago are out of luck.

And I rest my case regarding conflates, conflicts and things of that ilk and will make no further attempt to cast pearls before the swine. They hear not and comprehend less.

Now then, being a comparitive old fart, and for the sake of making room for the younger and more ignorant generation I think I'll go get my gun, walk out to the peach orchard and blow my brains out.

Of course, that will only work if I can find my gun, ambulate to the closest peach orchard and once I've arrived, remember what I'm there for.

TaTa

Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
I'll push your wheelchair out there for you. Can I have the gun after you're finished with it?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No, I'm not. There is no prima facie reason believe that teachers would have shorter lives, in fact the opposite is likely to be true. They are educated, paid decently, receive health benefits and don't perform physically demanding work.

In terms of being "very stressful"...yeah approximately 3-months vacation time just screams of a high stress career. If someone gets stressed in the class room they shouldn't be teaching.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not only that but, as stated, it was only recently that changes were enacted to permit teachers to start getting Medicare benefits but for most, since they didn't pay into the system for 40 quarters.
Yawn. California teachers have been able to pay into medicare since the 80's. Now they all do...

Furthermore, teachers have been able to get medicare for a long time. This isn't recent, though the details have changed over time.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM

323 posts, read 508,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Apple trees grow apples, peach tree grow peaches, your remarks are standard Mark IV Rightwingie remarks. Your confusing parties with ideology is standard Mark IV rightwingie. Now, tis true I don't "know" your ideology, but I generally find apples on apple trees, not peach trees.
It must suck to live in a world with only two kinds of trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
- private employees no longer have the benefits provided 30 or 40 years ago, so why should public employees

- public employees have had these benefits all along in trade for lower pay rates, and the issue wouldn't exist today if bankers and hedge fund managers didn't tank the economy
The question should focus on what can the government afford to pay.

Because it is true that public sector workers often take lower pay for better benefits. Speaking from the federal employee level, the benefits are good, but not great - but the federal government split its retirement system more than 20 years ago and those that joined after 1987 have comparatively fewer benefits, especially guaranteed benefits (since most of the retirement benefits will come from a 401k and not a pension).

Has California reduced their benefits for new employees? I believe government at all levels need to transition to a 401k type retirement for all, where there's no future obligation of payouts. This puts the risk of the performance of the stock market on the employee.

The problem the U.S. faces in general is pension obligations in the trillions of dollar. We cannot meet that burden without significant cuts to services - so how do we progress when most of our money is paying for services rendered a decade ago?

That said, it was the deal that was made when the employees were hired, so they are owed something. Pension cut for income tax free living? It will take a while for those under the old system to die off, but the benefits structure has to be revamped completely for the next generation of public worker.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
No, I'm not. There is no prima facie reason believe that teachers would have shorter lives, in fact the opposite is likely to be true. They are educated, paid decently, receive health benefits and don't perform physically demanding work.

In terms of being "very stressful"...yeah approximately 3-months vacation time just screams of a high stress career. If someone gets stressed in the class room they shouldn't be teaching.
You don't know much about teaching do you?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Not sure who gets three months off, seems that most teacher either take recert classes or get summer jobs, except for the ones with condos on the French Riviera or Tahiti I guess, but, without a summer break for teachers, there were be a lot more maimed children, I think.

Gentoo, did you tell me MCRD was closed? My nephew reports to boot camp at MCRD soon, could they have moved boot camp to Pendleton but kept the old name?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
Retired teachers get health benefits until they are 65 at which point they can get medicare. Retired firefighters typically get health benefits for life
So you can tell me why neither of us have health benefits after putting in respectively, 23 and 30 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California