Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Needs graphics
Ya got that right, woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You will have better fruits and vegetables out here...
Oh, no question about the fruits in California, nor those in a vegetative state.

Quote:
Remember, Curmie was a Sacramento Bureaucrat, I am not sure he would fit in with the actual Ozarkers,
Fit in quite well. Thank you for your concern. After having lived in Alabama, North Carolina twice, Virginia twice, Georgia, Kentucky and even Texas twice, the Ozarkers have accepted me quite nicely and consider me one of them. It's all about attitude.

Makes a hill man proud!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Proudmommy did you make a visit out to highonlites place?

I did, but when we saw his wife heading up the street I had to make a quick getaway.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
You will have better fruits and vegetables out here, almost all year round you can grow something in Roseville.
That's what my wife is hoping for - she wants a veggie garden and doesn't have much of a green thumb. Figure if she can't grow stuff out in that area she can't do it anywhere. LOL

Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
All I could say about the topic of this thread is that Katy Perry and a neutered Snoop Dogg have not made things any better by releasing that horrible song about the state last year.

If anything, I've got plenty of extra desert areas in the southwest and mountain states I could seek out.
Never had much love for coast, so don't need that.
Green forests are okay for a bit, but then you start to feel crowded.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
In spite of some out-migration by native Californians to other states San Francisco is still a big magnet for people from other parts of the country. We get a lot of young people, many of whom are on the "escape from hometown" mode. The moment they get here they seem to feel its de rigueur to act as odd as possible just because they're in San Francisco (while the natives roll they're eyes at the spectacle). Then you have the ones who've been here all of two or three years who think they know eff all about the place and start throwing boorish "ain't I cool 'cause I live here" attitudes around. I've had some of the dress-in-ugly-black-clothes-and-don't shave-crowd assume I'm a tourist because I wear jeans (not skinny ones) and a t shirt (not black) with a ball cap. I've corrected a few with "I'm fourth generation San Franciscan, how long have you lived here?".

I know you can live anywhere in the US you like and San Francisco has always drawn free spirits from all over, but up to the mid 60s it had a solid base of native born people who had some roots in the place. Those people moved to Pleasanton and Walnut Creek years ago. Now its just a urban Disneyland for the transient hipster crowd with a healthy dose of gays and lesbians escaping a repressive hometown.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I'm a native Californian, and I don't mind people escaping here. If I had to endure a winter like this one, I'd probably want to escape, too! I see a lot of young people posting on the L.A. forum, though, with questions like, "I have $5,000; where should I move to in L.A.?" In spite of a spate of responses telling that person not to move, because their $5,000 will be gone in no time, our advice is ignored. Then a few weeks later there is inevitably the post of, "I'm broke and have no place to live; what do I do now?" *sigh*

There's a saying: "Wherever you go, there you are." So yes, a discontented, grumpy person in Ohio or New York will probably be just as discontented and grumpy if they move here. But I certainly would never deny someone the chance to try and make this state their home. If it doesn't work, they can always move back, right?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Then a few weeks later there is inevitably the post of, "I'm broke and have no place to live; what do I do now?" *sigh*
More like "I'm broke and have no place to live and I hate L.A.! What do I do now? L.A. sucks and everyone is so mean!!!"

Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
More like "I'm broke and have no place to live and I hate L.A.! What do I do now? L.A. sucks and everyone is so mean!!!"
Pretty much the same thing I encountered whenever I went on those massive, LA-area night-time bicycle rides when they were popping a few years back.
Too many living off the scraps of a meager, part-timer and having to room-up with 5-6 others in a 2bd/2bth.
Then they **** and moan while trying to climb their own proverbial ladders, slipping on the rungs.

Nice parties to be thrown in the DTLA back-alley, but that got old after knowing that most of these people will be back to their same old dumpy selves after the Vodka wore off.

Anywho, I've already got my mind set on a few places in the rest of Mountainous, SW desert.
As soon as I've got my car in July, then it's most likely a local trucking gig wherever I find myself next.

As I tell anyone preparing for a move, make sure you got a landing-pad for a soft touch-down.
This shooting-from-the-hip nonsense is what makes a first move, the last for many. And that's usually in a bad way.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
To clarify, I was referring to Americans born outside of CA, wanting to move to CA. Not to refugees from third world countries. That would be another topic.

Interesting replies so far, though.

I think the whole premise of your original post is outdated. Most of the people moving to California now are people from other countries, not other states. Sure, people from other states still move here, but not nearly in the numbers they used to.

The population growth rate has also slowed down considerably in the last 2 decades.

What was true up until about 1990 is no longer true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California