U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
 
Location: North Hollywood
326 posts, read 300,230 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I find it less diverse here, in the true sense of that word, than many places in the Eastern US. While we may have a good representation of East Asian peoples here and of course the many Mexicans and Salvadorians, where we tend to lack is people from the Caribbean, Africa, and the like. And of course there really are not that many blacks, overall. I know people (Especially a certain Oaklander) will now post various stats showing that indeed there are Trinidadians in some pocket of some neighborhood, but from a standpoint of the overall feel, you just don't see certain groups as represented here as they are in the East, and meanwhile, no offense, there are areas here that are like Chinese monocultures.
I kind of agree - I'm of Indian heritage, born and raised in UK. There's not many African, Caribbean or European people here.

It's way less diverse than London. I live in North Hollywood, and when I drive to work I see hundreds of schoolkids - they're nearly all Hispanic! There's a few blacks and zero Asians. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it's better if areas are more mixed.

 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Bryte, CA
1,966 posts, read 2,720,044 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
That is what Mariano Vallejo said.
Where and when did he say this, and of what race? He was white (of Spanish descent) after all.
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Status: "Motel Hell really did happen!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Meth capital of the world.
8,103 posts, read 5,413,536 times
Reputation: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If you have something more to say along those lines, raise your hand and place it over your mouth
Well, I would say outright what I feel.......without censoring myself........but someone would rat me out............suspension to follow.
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Northern California
159 posts, read 200,087 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
I kind of agree - I'm of Indian heritage, born and raised in UK. There's not many African, Caribbean or European people here.

It's way less diverse than London. I live in North Hollywood, and when I drive to work I see hundreds of schoolkids - they're nearly all Hispanic! There's a few blacks and zero Asians. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it's better if areas are more mixed.
Look at North Hollywood Senior High: District and School Enrollment by Ethnicity - Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2010-11

It has 3,191 students, and 2,223 are Hispanic. That's 70%. More than 200 Asian kids so it's around 7%. But yeah, it's not really that diverse but it's better in terms of diversity than the almost totally Hispanic schools right?
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Status: "Motel Hell really did happen!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Meth capital of the world.
8,103 posts, read 5,413,536 times
Reputation: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Yeah, I often think to myself how bizarre it is, the hispanic influence coming over America.

Why just recently they renamed my city of Saint Joseph to San Jose, can you believe it?!


Yeah, I can believe it............Californiastan.........looking more and more like a 3rd word country.............that is one of the reasons I left.
 
Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,192 posts, read 3,165,491 times
Reputation: 1938
Thank you o.p. for giving all of the racist, mexican hating, fear based ignorant farts yet another opportunity to spew their c***!

But yes, i sure do like the diversity.
I spend a lot of time in mostly white Idaho and it's always great to get back to the coast and see difference.
Viva la difference!
 
Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Northern California
159 posts, read 200,087 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Thank you o.p. for giving all of the racist, mexican hating, fear based ignorant farts yet another opportunity to spew their c***!

But yes, i sure do like the diversity.
I spend a lot of time in mostly white Idaho and it's always great to get back to the coast and see difference.
Viva la difference!
I thought Idaho had plenty of Mexican immigrants through. My friend has family that immigrated to Idaho from Mexico. But aside from that that all there is probably.
 
Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,192 posts, read 3,165,491 times
Reputation: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I thought Idaho had plenty of Mexican immigrants through. My friend has family that immigrated to Idaho from Mexico. But aside from that that all there is probably.
Yes, that's true.
There are quite a few Mexicans where i spend time (and throughout much of Idaho .... southern Idaho for the most part i think) and a much smaller number of Peruvians.
But if it weren't for them, it would be very, very white.
 
Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,281,483 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
[/b]

Yeah, I can believe it............Californiastan.........looking more and more like a 3rd word country.............that is one of the reasons I left.
That is what the Mexicans who left California after the American invasion said.
 
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,281,483 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Where and when did he say this, and of what race? He was white (of Spanish descent) after all.
Look up the definition of "irony" Mariano was a Mexican, He was speaking of the Americans who invaded a sovereign nation and occupied half of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top