Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever thought about moving out-of-state?
Yes! 46 82.14%
Nope 8 14.29%
Never gave it thought 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,780 times

Advertisements

Also, regarding firearms in CA--carrying a gun (unlawful carry--if you do have it in your vehicle, such as around passenger's seat, in a bag, etc, this will be unlawful carry without CCW, Penal Code 12031)--can be upgraded to a FELONY as this is a "wobbler" offense--IF one is not a registered gun owner in California. In other words, if you have "illegal gun", and carry it, it can be charged as a felony; it will be up to the district attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
Already planning on moving to Oklahoma, although it's more a case of moving back home after living in California for the past eight years. I want to be closer to family, and am hoping to find a better employment situation.

Of course, if the job situation isn't any better, I'll probably move elsewhere in that general region. A lot of my family are getting up there in years [and some already are] and I'm tired of being more than a day's drive away.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Apparently no limit to how much certain folks whine, huh ...
and worry about boogeyman misadventures, too ...
may I suggest a truly safe place:
Saint Helena - The Island In The South Atlantic Ocean

Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
One thing that I have trouble accepting in CA is social division/segregation, among the wealthier and poorer groups. Like the saying goes: "To live in CA, you have to be either the rich or the one serving them"--it is true that the middle class is less and less present in places like Bay area... and in other places One can see it every day. I'm tired to feel like a 2nd class person when I drive to place and feel judgment being passed on me and all these people looking down on me, because I drive an old car and remain non-materialistic...while I'm more educated than them and have 6 years of engineering school from one of the top US universities. I see all these people flaunting their new cars and stupid brand-name clothes in CA looking down at me like if I'm some homeless junkie when I come into their neighborhood to shop in places like Whole Foods, this really makes me laugh. "Their" cops, who're on their payroll, stop me in places like Marin county with a question "what are you doing here?", when I come to see National Recreation area like Golden Gate, for the purpose of guarding riff raff like myself. Then, when I go to more low key neighborhoods you get so much of a meth problem and drug problem in general, aggressive panhandlers, etc. It just felt so different in PNW. The kids I knew from OR, who like to backpack and don't own a car, would probably get thrown out of many CA areas quick in they came to see it... cause the cops would think that homeless moved in. Portland was certainly a breath of fresh air compared to that.
And meanwhile, 15 miles from downtown Philly, the middle class is still thriving. Lots of my fellow Californians will discredit any mention of places like TX, NV, etc being middle class places due to being "backward." Well then, I point here to a blue state, and furthermore one of the bluest parts of that state, with a long standing situation of union run everything. And yet, somehow, there, the middle class thrives and small businesses are not fleeing. My only conclusion is, California is beyond liberal ... so far beyond, as to be illiberal. Liberal fascism is the name of this disease.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
It's an abstract statement--I can not BUY a gun, while I'm a resident of the state of CA, because even out of state gun dealers/shows require CA residents to comply to CA gun laws before they buy. I do not have connections in underground gun trade.

No, it's not like J walking at all. You show very little practical knowledge of these matters. There're different classes of misdemeanors that have different severity in terms of impact on individual's life.
For anyone who's reading this thread in the future and is thinking of getting "illegal gun" in CA--you will NEVER be employed in any medical field, if you do and get caught. You will never work for any company that has anything to do with child care, etc. If you want to teach in the future and you do get hired at school, you'll face extra scrutiny and you'll be the first to be laid off (employers are very afraid of lawsuits nowadays). There're other consequences to having misdemeanor on your record. And with modern computerization of records, you will have to explain it to any employer or landlord for the rest of your life. You will also be a target for search at any traffic stop.
Dang, just drive over to Las Vegas, buy yourself a gun, don't tell anyone, or, go gunless and be unable to defend yourself.

You seem to have a curious case of victimization. Remember, no matter whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
We were planning on moving a few years back when housing prices were high. We even had a home built in Arizona. Good thing that didn't work out. Prices have declined everywhere. Our home that we bought last year we acquired it for about half what the last guy paid. Homes in Surprise Arizona have taken a beating in the past few years.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
And meanwhile, 15 miles from downtown Philly, the middle class is still thriving. Lots of my fellow Californians will discredit any mention of places like TX, NV, etc being middle class places due to being "backward." Well then, I point here to a blue state, and furthermore one of the bluest parts of that state, with a long standing situation of union run everything. And yet, somehow, there, the middle class thrives and small businesses are not fleeing. My only conclusion is, California is beyond liberal ... so far beyond, as to be illiberal. Liberal fascism is the name of this disease.
I guess when you gain something you always lose something... If one wants to be in a more middle-class friendly place ("regular human"-friendly) , they may face the loss of some sophistication, gloss and liberal ideals that come with certain wealth-filled CA areas...

Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Dang, just drive over to Las Vegas, buy yourself a gun, don't tell anyone, or, go gunless and be unable to defend yourself.

You seem to have a curious case of victimization. Remember, no matter whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Good luck man, I hope you wouldn't advise stuff like that to your daughters. I CAN'T buy a gun in Nevada--because I'm a resident of California--and according to recent laws, even in Nevada, any seller at a gun show would HAVE TO ensure I'm eligible to buy a gun in my home state of CA; there's a special check they have to run, though CA law enforcement. Just go and look at existing regulations at Nevada gun shows.

Victimization? No, it's you who seems to have a case of victimization (and some kind of problem with me, because I refuse to own and carry illegally--the government of California, elected by the people of this state had enacted these laws, whether I like these or not (I don't)--and it's not me who's going to be breaking them and paying for it later). I simply believe that it's better to go to another state and be a legal gun owner and be able to defend myself if I need to a breathe a little more freely. Like I mentioned, carrying illegal gun can be charged as a felony in CA. Let me repeat: if someone buys a gun and is not a registered owner, caught carrying the gun on them or in their vehicle, DA can charge as a felony.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We were planning on moving a few years back when housing prices were high. We even had a home built in Arizona. Good thing that didn't work out. Prices have declined everywhere. Our home that we bought last year we acquired it for about half what the last guy paid. Homes in Surprise Arizona have taken a beating in the past few years.
Time to change that account name.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
This is perversely funny.

Quote:
Good luck man, I hope you wouldn't advise stuff like that to your daughters. I CAN'T buy a gun in Nevada--because I'm a resident of California--and according to recent laws, even in Nevada, any seller at a gun show would HAVE TO ensure I'm eligible to buy a gun in my home state of CA; there's a special check they have to run, though CA law enforcement. Just go and look at existing regulations at Nevada gun shows.

So don't buy the gun from a dealer, like, really?

Victimization? No, it's you who seems to have a case of victimization (and some kind of problem with me, because I refuse to own and carry illegally--

I don't care if you carry, it is your whining about your limitations that is annoying.

the government of California, elected by the people of this state had enacted these laws, whether I like these or not (I don't)--and it's not me who's going to be breaking them and paying for it later). I simply believe that it's better to go to another state and be a legal gun owner and be able to defend myself if I need to a breathe a little more freely. Like I mentioned, carrying illegal gun can be charged as a felony in CA. Let me repeat: if someone buys a gun and is not a registered owner, caught carrying the gun on them or in their vehicle, DA can charge as a felony.

Millions of Californians carry pistolos, some have registered them, but I will betcha most have not
I find it quaint and humorous that people have laws that they follow regularly, and laws that they break regularly, and they have all sorts of reasons and or excuses for doing either.

This brings me to a very important point, there are 62 paved roads that leave this fine state, if a person finds living here intolerable, they really should hop on one of them and head out, that they don't, but instead hang around whining is odd, perfectly human, but odd.

Leads me to believe that most people like to complain, and if they relocated they would find something in their new home to complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California