Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times

Advertisements

UC Davis chancellor calls for task force to review pepper spraying of protesters - Yolo County News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/19/4066778/uc-davis-chancellor-calls-for.html#storylink=omni_popular - broken link)

Raw Footage Of UC Davis Peaceful Protesters Pepper Sprayed - YouTube

So let me get this straight, a peaceful protest of the tuition fee hike by sitting on the sidewalk to block the path actually warrants being pepper sprayed in the face by the police? The students blocking the sidewalk posed NO threat to the police.

It's very alarming that Chancellor Katehi defended the actions of the campus police, then caved into launching a full investigation by an outside reviewer. What a shame. The chancellor is supposed to protect the students, not attack them.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
That guy doing the pepper spraying should go to prison and the other officers who watched him and did nothing should be fired and barred from ever working in law enforcement again.

With all the talk with the Penn State disaster about having a responsibility to stop a crime when you witness it, how can all those police officers stand there and watch that? They have no right to use a weapon like that when they are under no threat.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Those spoiled rotten brats got exactly what they wanted.

Oh boo hoo, shame on you.... LOL

Would you like some tacos and carnitas with that pepper sauce.

When they surrounded police they were lucky they didn't get frigging night sticks cracked up the side of their brain baskets.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

When they surrounded police they were lucky they didn't get frigging night sticks cracked up the side of their brain baskets.
Our Constitution guarantees the citizens the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. I find it curious that those who claim to hold the constitution dear, deny whatever part of it they, at a particular moment disagree with.

The UC Davis Police Department used Pepper Spray on seated nonviolent students. These are not anarchists, commies, "hippie's. These are our children. Just to be admitted to UC Davis means they are among our brightest children. Now, I don't care about your politics, and I don't care about the occupy movement. But, our police should never ever use pepper spray on our children.
Shame on them.

Watching the whole video, you see students, by the force of moral authority, peacefully and nonviolently forced the police off the quad. Folks, peaceful protest, and peaceful dissent is what marks our country as the shining light for the rest of the world to emulate. The right to peacefully petition the government for redress of grievances is enshrined in our Constitution. The police were in the wrong, and they finally realized it.

Here they were referred to as spoiled brats, yet, these "brats" held their formation of peaceful sitting with locked arms in spite of a violent assault. That is not typical of "spoiled brats" but something any trained military formation would be expected to do. The bystanders had the ability to be violent as they far out numbered the police, they didn't. Any student who shouted out a derogatory phrase to the police was shut down by the nonviolent students. The students upheld the finest traditions of American peaceful protest. We should all be proud that we have raised citizens like them.

Bulldog, my son is a senior at Davis, he is not a radical, he is a mountain climber, now, this day at this time he did not get pepper sprayed, but what about tomorrow? What about Fresno State, and someone you know?

You don't pepper spray our children, period.

Last edited by .highnlite; 11-20-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Our Constitution guarantees the citizens the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. I find it curious that those who claim to hold the constitution dear, deny whatever part of it they, at a particular moment disagree with.

The UC Davis Police Department used Pepper Spray on seated nonviolent students. These are not anarchists, commies, "hippie's. These are our children. Just to be admitted to UC Davis means they are among our brightest children. Now, I don't care about your politics, and I don't care about the occupy movement. But, our police should never ever use pepper spray on our children.
Shame on them.

Watching the whole video, you see students, by the force of moral authority, peacefully and nonviolently forced the police off the quad. Folks, peaceful protest, and peaceful dissent is what marks our country as the shining light for the rest of the world to emulate. The right to peacefully petition the government for redress of grievances is enshrined in our Constitution. The police were in the wrong, and they finally realized it.

Here they were referred to as spoiled brats, yet, these "brats" held their formation of peaceful sitting with locked arms in spite of a violent assault. That is not typical of "spoiled brats" but something any trained military formation would be expected to do. The bystanders had the ability to be violent as they far out numbered the police, they didn't. Any student who shouted out a derogatory phrase to the police was shut down by the nonviolent students. The students upheld the finest traditions of American peaceful protest. We should all be proud that we have raised citizens like them.

Bulldog, my son is a senior at Davis, he is not a radical, he is a mountain climber, now, this day at this time he did not get pepper sprayed, but what about tomorrow? What about Fresno State, and someone you know?

For one brief, shining moment, I have to agree with you. That outrages the former cop in me and the present father and citizen.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-20-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:

Almost as appalling as the actions of that officer. Shame on you.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Oh, you're back ... in uniform ... tasteless blue, again, with shiny badge from your breakfast cereal box?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Shame on them.

Thank you.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
For one brief, shining moment, I have to agree with you. That outrages the former cop in me and the present father and citizen.
Every so often, one has to mark his calendar to remind of rare moments in history ...

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
LOL.... Pepper spray is now considered a violent assault? Now I've heard everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California