Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is an after school program-I wonder what the Redding Record-Searchlight thought was so compelling about this story that they decided to run it? Cause to me its a non-story.
For the residents of Shasta County the story is probably encouraging for many readers. It's nice to see local schools make some accommodation for the community's deepest values. Also, I would expect that many local parents would be excited about the character education aspect of the program, even if they are not particularly devout.

Newspaper readers in small cities and rural areas love these kinds of stories. You usually see the name of someone you know, maybe even a picture if you're lucky. It gives the "stars" of the story a boost in the community. It gives everyone else something to crow about at the dinner table.

Finally, it's important politically, because lots of people are under the false impression that schools can't do things like this. Stories like this help set the record straight in the public mind.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 03-10-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
As I understand it, non-religious organizations can do the same. I would imagine they have their squabbles too. What's the rationale for targeting faith-based groups for exclusion among all the others? Seems very arbitrary to me. SCOTUS agrees:

"A court case led to a 2001 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that religious clubs operated by outside organizations have the same access rights to create after-school programs as similar secular clubs, said Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for the Liberty Institute. 'The controlling case on this is Good News Club v. Milford Central School,' he said. '(The Clubs are) the ones who made the law.' The court ruled that the school couldn't give any religious club any more — or less — support than it would give a club sponsored by a secular program run by a nonschool agency, he said."

More importantly, Shasta County is conservative and home to a large evangelical population. These programs are consistent with the values of the community.
This should probably be in the religion forum.

Everyone knows you can have religious clubs in schools because almost all of them do. Even some churchs set up shop on Sundays in empty school buildings and as far as I know it's never been an issue.

I have no problem with clubs. I have a problem using kids to push agendas on other kids (the worst group to be pushing anything on anyone). That's the biggest complaint about this particular group that I've seen online, dating back to 2000. If it's not a problem then no big deal, just another club nobody cares about except the members. When it migrates OUTSIDE the club it's a problem, and people have and will complain. This group has been in and out of schools for a long time now.

My son went to a youth group meeting with a girl he liked once, at a church not a school. We are very "ehh" on religion in our family and he didn't have much experience at all but he was upset that when it came to discussing real life issues the leaders were instructing kids how to convert their classmates away from their own faiths. People from other countries and whatnot. I don't like that and it doest belong in schools and is the sort of thing that gets people into trouble. Kids don't realize it, adults do though and some want to use the kids anyway. Nobody should evangelize during school even if you claim it's part of your belief system. It's come up before and never ends well.

Last edited by Ceece; 03-10-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

More importantly, Shasta County is conservative and home to a large evangelical population. These programs are consistent with the values of the community.
O'course the devout Evangelicals I know do not consider Catholics Christians. They figure all the Catholics are going to hell just like the Mormons, because the Catholics don't accept Jesus as their personal lord and savior.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,994 times
I agree with Ceece, but I wonder if a young gay or gay straight alliance support group for young people could be formed without opposition. I wonder how much praise that would receive. Or a pagan/Wiccan support group.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I agree with Ceece, but I wonder if a young gay or gay straight alliance support group for young people could be formed without opposition. I wonder how much praise that would receive. Or a pagan/Wiccan support group.
It could be formed legally, but if it operated an after school program, there wouldn't be many takers in Shasta County. And it may have a tough time finding teachers or administrators willing to cooperate.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 AM

They run sheep up there don't they? A "specialized" 4H group might be a great idea. Since the schools have so little money they might call the group, Brokeschool Mountain.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:14 PM

364 posts, read 611,380 times
Lots of vitriol towards religion on the California forum. Thankfully you won't find this intolerance and mean spirit on the forums of most other states. Good future topic might be :What makes the California leftists hate religion so much?"

I've no data to back it up, but I've got a gut feeling that those states most tolerant of religion are the same ones climbing out of the economic slump the fastest.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
God's unconditional love? I take it there are no readings from the Old Testament.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Lots of vitriol towards religion on the California forum. Thankfully you won't find this intolerance and mean spirit on the forums of most other states. Good future topic might be :What makes the California leftists hate religion so much?"

I've no data to back it up, but I've got a gut feeling that those states most tolerant of religion are the same ones climbing out of the economic slump the fastest.
There is a proper place for discussing religion, and it ain't here. That is the message. People are free to believe what they want to believe but like beastiality it is best discussed among those partial to it, rather than inflicting it on people who have no interest.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This should probably be in the religion forum.

Everyone knows you can have religious clubs in schools because almost all of them do. Even some churchs set up shop on Sundays in empty school buildings and as far as I know it's never been an issue.

I have no problem with clubs. I have a problem using kids to push agendas on other kids (the worst group to be pushing anything on anyone). That's the biggest complaint about this particular group that I've seen online, dating back to 2000. If it's not a problem then no big deal, just another club nobody cares about except the members. When it migrates OUTSIDE the club it's a problem, and people have and will complain. This group has been in and out of schools for a long time now.

My son went to a youth group meeting with a girl he liked once, at a church not a school. We are very "ehh" on religion in our family and he didn't have much experience at all but he was upset that when it came to discussing real life issues the leaders were instructing kids how to convert their classmates away from their own faiths. People from other countries and whatnot. I don't like that and it doest belong in schools and is the sort of thing that gets people into trouble. Kids don't realize it, adults do though and some want to use the kids anyway. Nobody should evangelize during school even if you claim it's part of your belief system. It's come up before and never ends well.
I am not sure I understand your issue - you say that you support an after-school religious club - yet you don't think the members of that club should be allowed to tell other students about it during school hours? It seems that you are holding this particular club to a higher standard then other clubs because it is a Christian organisation. You aren't being consistent.

Prohibiting evangelism is prohibiting speech which the First Amendment protects. I can certainly see a situation where a student shares their faith - is rebuffed by another student and continues. No - means no -and such a case can be dealt with under the rules that prohibit disruptive behavior. Now that applies to actual evangelism. It seems the students of this club are advertising their club and inviting students to attend. This is not evangelism - it is providing information. If you think doing that is wrong, yet you have no problem with a secular club doing the same - you are clearly biased against the religious club - which doesn't square with your assertion that you support the clubs existance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California