Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
5- AFAIK, there's nobody living on base. That's why the town got set up. If there are anybody on base, you'd need some very special circumstances. To be safe, don't count on being able to live on base. AFAIK again, living in town should be nicer.
There are most definitely people living on base. There are two sets of barracks, two more temporary/nicer apartment type buildings, and a housing tract just east of Richmond Elementary.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
There are most definitely people living on base. There are two sets of barracks, two more temporary/nicer apartment type buildings, and a housing tract just east of Richmond Elementary.
I stand corrected then. I'm sure the OP would like to know how to get on there then. I'm also curious myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 01:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I stand corrected then. I'm sure the OP would like to know how to get on there then. I'm also curious myself.
No clue how it works, but China Lake (NAWS) | Installations | Lincoln Military Housing.

Having gone there numerous times, my takeaway was that the barracks were for enlisted bachelors and the on base single-family housing was for higher-ranked folks/their families (they seemed quite temporary). There are various other extended/short stay type situations on base as well.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From_the_hell_hole View Post
My family moved to RC about 8 years ago thinking we would only be there for a couple of years. My husband works on base but I must say, that what everyone is saying here is true. The law enforcement here is terrible. Unless you are one of the wealthier families in town, you might as well not even call if you need help, because they wont even come to your home. Of course, when they see me driving (a Latina woman) on base or off base, I will get pulled over with the most ridiculous excuses such as "you didn't signal to turn" or my favorite "speed limit is 35 you were going 37", and then all of a sudden 4 more police vehicles will pull up behind the original car that pulld me over, they have nothing better to do here than to harass people to make revenue for this "crap hole" and I'm not sure where the money goes because a lot of areas still have no sidewalks and the majority of the streets have a ton of potholes. Just do your research before you move here, even if it is to work on base.

You forgot to mention that there is garbage on the ground everywhere in this town. Fields of garbage dumped all over the place and the city doesn't care to clean it up. This is the filthiest town I have ever seen in my 51 years of life

Old 12-28-2016, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4TECguy View Post
Our wonderful police force here in Ridgecrest! Not only did they choose someone who has FOUR felony drug convictions to "buy" drugs (in order to arrest the sellers), but then they found a needle in her car, and proceed to destroy the evidence (TWICE), and then cover it up by lying for 8 months.

Major operation in jeopardy after disclosure of Ridgecrest ... - Bakersfield.com

I had a law enforcement officer arrest ME just because I was in charge of a drug recovery program. He refused to believe that I was teaching the class. He wanted me to lie and tell him that I was buying drugs from people I was teaching recovery to. He wanted me to lie and say that I was a drug user. He actually got angry and arrested me when I informed him that he was incorrect and I did NOT use drugs. He finally began to believe me when I told him my maiden name. He even apologized to me after it was too late. But, he still filed it. Yes, when I went to court, the charges were dropped. Even though he had lost the blood test, I had gotten a hair follicle test on my own to prove he was a liar. Because of this officer's ego, I had to pay $350 for my friend's car he impounded, lawyer fees, the court appearance fee and the $100 for my hair follicle test. Once my innocence was proven, Judge Glennon ordered me to pay all kinds of fees for the court process.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
These posts all seem to come from people who can't seem to be happy. They also sound like they're not willing to put their nose to the grind stone and get a food job. Ridgecrest may not be a booming city but the negative vibe comes from all the negative people. It seems a majority of the negative people have left posts on here. I know for a fact that there are plenty of good jobs in all areas on base, at the plant a short drive from town, and at the hospital. There are drugs and crime in every single city of the country and if you are willing to be a complete idiot and take them then that's on you, not the town. Get your heads out of your ass and help the city change instead of sitting at your keyboard and being useless

Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
OK, I am currently in Ridgecrest for week or two.. This is my second stay here.

I have lived and visited a LOT of California......Ridgecrest is up there with my favorites. Trashy, HUH, say hello to a lot of the USA. This place at least has breathing-space, pretty decent air-quality and the roads, which are more than adequate for a city of its size, are well maintained and not crowded to the point of insanity, good shopping also.

You wanna seen scuzzy, plenty to go around...........go to parts of the east-side of Bakersfield or the west-side of Fresno. Every city has that, Bakersfield and Fresno also have a lot of very nice areas.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 5,539 times
Any newer opinions about Ridgecrest? Is an engineer crazy to move there from Florida? I primarily want to do more dirtbiking, camping, fishing etc....just outdoor stuff in general. Ridgecrest seems like its in the middle of a lot of activities, yet just far away enough to have your family influenced by large city ethos.

One major concern I have is real estate. If you buy in this town are you stuck forever lmao.

Old 09-11-2023, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 5,539 times
Default Anyone currently living in Ridgecrest that enjoys it?

Looking to move out there with a small family. Looking forward to camping, offroading, (fishing?), and the night sky.

Currently live in Florida on the coast, but it is way too crowded now.

Are you stuck with a house if you buy it there? It seems like there is just no one around to buy.

Also, what communities are within an hour drive of ridgecrest? Google doesn't give great results and I am trying to see if I can buy a place in kernville and commute to ridgecrest for work.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:43 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Why on earth would someone in Florida be interested in Ridgecrest, were you offered a job there? It's a isolated small town out in the desert, hot, cold and windy. Plus in Florida you have good government instead of the worst government in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California