Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM

82 posts, read 131,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Do you bring this level of intellectual activity to your career?
Oh snap....

Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Its not rocket science people. States with low population, etc. are going to be "better run" because they are simpler to manage. States with very large populations are going to have issues and challenges that small population states don't have.

A town with five people in it, is going to be smooth running, because there are only five people to deal with. A big city is going to have a lot more problems because its big!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Not true for Rhode Island, #43 in population.
America

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Does this surprise anyone?
What surprises me is how CA is nowhere near worst in any of their criteria except for unemployment yet it ranks 50th?

> Debt per capita: $4,008 (18th highest)
> Budget deficit: 20.7% (17th largest)
> Unemployment: 11.7% (2nd highest)
> Median household income: $57,287 (10th highest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 16.6% (18th highest)

Sounds like a BS ranking to me based on stereotyping and what the author thinks, not was statistics say.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What surprises me is how CA is nowhere near worst in any of their criteria except for unemployment yet it ranks 50th?

Sounds like a BS ranking to me based on stereotyping and what the author thinks, not was statistics say.
As much as I hate to say it - I believe you're right. I do think CA is poorly run in certain aspects, but unlikely the worst.

A ranking list like this is silly - as another poster mentioned - the challenges of a state like CA cannot compare to smaller states with fractions of the populations, land mass, etc. It would be like comparing Boeing to my small business on a list of best and worst run companies.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:

Oh alright, so because we're not the absolute worst makes it OK to go about doing things the way we've been doing them?

Unemployment rate is a BIG deal, as it arguably drives all of the other metrics, including the budget deficit.

The CA state government is completely eff-ed up. And it's not because we're "too big" or "too populous"... It's because the inmates are running the asylum right now and nobody seems to gives a rats ass because their personal live's aren't affected by it. Just because YOU can't see the damage doesn't mean it does not exist. I love this state, I grew up in this state, but there is NO reason we can't balance our budget and attract more businesses here. No reason...

In fact, I'd love for you to tell me why our budget can not be balanced.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Well here's my take on it. I'm not going to mention the other posts whether I agree or disagree, yet.

CA is run by a lot of crazy nuts. Its not the only state in this situation. It barely if at all seems to have an impact on my life. Over the last year, I've moved to a place with a better job market than what i had available before. This region has had the highest job growth in the state. I sacrificed a lot, completely changed my field and the type of work i was used to. I now have a job i love and I'm starting to balance myself financially after having been through hell. All this improvement for me while continuing to live in the worse run state. My life's improving while living in a state that's apparently crashing and burning. This is what can happen when we worry about our own lives rather than lecturing others about how where they live is so horrible. Just some food for thought here people.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times

I fixed it!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

131 posts, read 167,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Its not rocket science people. States with low population, etc. are going to be "better run" because they are simpler to manage. States with very large populations are going to have issues and challenges that small population states don't have.

A town with five people in it, is going to be smooth running, because there are only five people to deal with. A big city is going to have a lot more problems because its big!
Well, there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not true for Rhode Island, #43 in population.
America
Nothing is true for Rhode Island. It's not a real place.

Quote:

Well, there you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
As much as I hate to say it - I believe you're right. I do think CA is poorly run in certain aspects, but unlikely the worst.

A ranking list like this is silly - as another poster mentioned - the challenges of a state like CA cannot compare to smaller states with fractions of the populations, land mass, etc. It would be like comparing Boeing to my small business on a list of best and worst run companies.
Well, there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
** inmates are running the asylum right now and nobody seems to gives a rats ass because their personal live's aren't affected by it. **
Well, there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well here's my take on it. I'm not going to mention the other posts whether I agree or disagree, yet.

CA is run by a lot of crazy nuts. Its not the only state in this situation. It barely if at all seems to have an impact on my life. Over the last year, I've moved to a place with a better job market than what i had available before. This region has had the highest job growth in the state. I sacrificed a lot, completely changed my field and the type of work i was used to. I now have a job i love and I'm starting to balance myself financially after having been through hell. All this improvement for me while continuing to live in the worse run state. My life's improving while living in a state that's apparently crashing and burning. This is what can happen when we worry about our own lives rather than lecturing others about how where they live is so horrible. Just some food for thought here people.
And, for my final comment on this very fine post:

"Well, there you go", again.

As I am fond of saying: Har-de-har-har-har.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Time for my quarterly renewal of this point: Reverse the situation and make it so the GOP had been the dominant party in Sacto for the past almost 43 years rather than the Dems. Can you imagine the hue and cry from their side?

And this one: California is certifiably nuts when they keep returning the same party to power year after year, no matter how ****ed up things get. Not that having the GOP in power would improve things, but when your shoes hurt your feet, don't most people at least try on a more comfortable pair for the hike facing them? Isn't the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over despite the negative consequences?"

As a registered independent, I can point stuff like that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California