Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeCee82 View Post
Hubby and I are both African American and currently live in the IE. We hate it. Crime everywhere, definitely running out of decent neighborhoods. We would love to move to a beach city here in So Cal, but I'm worried about it being culturally diverse. Well maybe not so much diverse, but just accepting of other cultures should I say.

I was visiting a relative in a city here in So Cal (she's caucasian). And she took me to several stores to do some shopping. I maybe saw one other black person for hours, and for the most part the residents were very standoffish. I'd hate to have to be a part of a community like that day in and day out.

We're looking for a friendly beach city that doesn't necessarily have to have a huge minority population, but rather one that is accepting of other races and cultures. Somewhere safe to raise our kiddos. Somewhere with a wide variety of adult-only as well as family activities.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

Unless you are a recent immigrant to the US, isn't your culture similar to other long term citizens?

I would think a more recent immigrant would have less of a connection with your beliefs and mores. That said California is the most accepting of anyone. And, as for people being "standoffish", folks are folks. Sometimes to takes awhile to cozy up to anyone. I myself came from Texas to California by the way of Illinois, Missouri and Indiana. I enjoy most people as long as they are cordial and have some manners.

Personally, i believe you will do fine. Start some conversations, be friendly and have some humor about it all. That said, any beach communities from Santa Monica to San Clemente are very nice. The big thing is if you can afford them. Some can be pricey. My personal fav is Laguna Beach. You may enjoy Venice and some of the San Diego beach town communities are wonderful.

Welcome! And this forum can clue you into the various cities for demographics, weather , etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 03:40 PM

702 posts, read 953,669 times
Quote:
just accepting of other cultures should I say.

but rather one that is accepting of other races and cultures
Hi CeeCee,

I can see your problem by the way you've worded your post - you don't see yourself as truly American for some odd reason. Blacks have been in this country for far longer than most other nationalities, even a lot of Europeans. You are not from a 'different culture', you're American for goodness sake!

The harsh truth is this: if you feel out of place in upscale Southern California locales, nine times out of ten people are treating you the way they are either because of your weight, the way you dress, or the way you speak - it's not because of your skin color. There's no need to choose your location with so much emphasis placed on race (in the LA and SF areas at least).

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-25-2013, 03:51 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,686 times
I would suggest Laguna Beach. It is still laid back for OC, I have known a number of black familys over the years that live there with kids in the high school. The only problem is traffic in the summer months on laguna canyon road. On the bright side if you look at Club Laguna apartments on El Toro you can get around that by living right next to the toll road.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
A lot of standoffishness you feel in those places might be not race-specific but rather a general attitude in the wealthy enclaves by the sea...you have to look, dress and act certain way...drive certain cars, etc, to feel like you fit in there, whatever race you belong to...there's a lot of arrogance in these, generally expensive places...Out of places on the ocean, Oceanside in San Diego county is the kind where different kinds of people may breathe more freely.
Oceanside has some very good prices in homes.. Is it a pretty decent place to settle? I mean do you have personal experience there?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Oceanside has some very good prices in homes.. Is it a pretty decent place to settle? I mean do you have personal experience there?
I have personal experience there (O'side) and it's a dump. Would not live there. If you don't believe me, just drive down there and take a look yourself.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,861 times
The beach cities tend to be very white just like most wealthy areas. The good news is they're very liberal and open minded so I doubt you'd find much in the way of racism or discrimination (speaking as someone who lives in a beach city) though there won't be very many other African-Americans around; those which are here tend to be highly educated professionals. The exception are areas with large numbers of service people as that career choice tends to be a larger cross section of society. In fact, there won't be very many poor people of any sort around as they tend to be very segregated based upon income/social status. The beach cities tend to be highly desirable areas so the prices get bid up and the population tends to be wealthier and better off economically.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 14,599 times
Ketch, your post is way off base, not to mention offensive. I'm just going to leave it at that.

To address some of the others, I'm So Cal born and raised. Up until junior high I lived in a predominately White neighborhood, went to predominately White schools where I was 1 of literally a handful of Black students. By and large it was ok, but many times it was awkward and uncomfortable (first day of school was always the worst), and I've been called some choice words on a couple occasions. Don't get me wrong, there were great people. However it's kind of difficult not to feel like the odd man out when you actually ARE the odd man out.

Anywho, I'm going to look into Oceanside and Laguna Beach first. Maybe make it into a mini-vacation in the next few weeks here to scope out the scenery. Thanks all for the suggestions!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,599 times
Alexxiz, if you don't mind me asking what nationality are you?

Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Default African Americans and beach cities.

Quote:
Hubby and I are both African American and currently live in the IE. We hate it. Crime everywhere, definitely running out of decent neighborhoods. We would love to move to a beach city here in So Cal, but I'm worried about it being culturally diverse. Well maybe not so much diverse, but just accepting of other cultures should I say.

I was visiting a relative in a city here in So Cal (she's caucasian). And she took me to several stores to do some shopping. I maybe saw one other black person for hours, and for the most part the residents were very standoffish. I'd hate to have to be a part of a community like that day in and day out.

We're looking for a friendly beach city that doesn't necessarily have to have a huge minority population, but rather one that is accepting of other races and cultures. Somewhere safe to raise our kiddos. Somewhere with a wide variety of adult-only as well as family activities.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I'm a AA which lived in Long Beach 1977-78 , but otherwise lived in NorCal Govt Island/Alameda , S.F , YBI ,
Oakland , Vallejo CA.

Why don't you find another renter and split the cost , and just live in any SoCal Beach TOWN...

Try the condo's of Downtown LB near ocean ( or )" Naples on the canals" or other suburban area's
near LBC......

Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 PM

166 posts, read 281,740 times
South Bay LA is very racist. Dont go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California