Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times

Advertisements

May I humbly suggest that spiking the redwood burl as an option? Nothing ruins a day of holding on to a chainsaw like striking a nice solid piece of metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
May I humbly suggest that spiking the redwood burl as an option? Nothing ruins a day of holding on to a chainsaw like striking a nice solid piece of metal.
Perfect! That's what the radical tree huggers did back in the day. Easy to do and quite illegal.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Anything for a buck, yes? Because it's all about "ME".
Need to clear those boring old trees for Legohouses, strip malls, and freeways anyway. And fracking. Saint Reagan would approve.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
But doesn't this protecting the redwoods movement amount to placing yet ANOTHER restriction on entrepreneurship in California?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Then, since you hate all humans, please decrease the population by one.
LOL

Being realistic and aware to the destruction that humans cause does not = hating all humans. It is simply an awareness.

If you are not aware of this then you must have your head in the sand.

If you need evidence of all the destruction that humans cause and have caused Google it.

However this thread is about despicable unconscionable humans that are poaching the Redwoods. Please keep to the topic.

Last edited by TVC15; 05-09-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Good question! Many of the beautiful trees that are being destroyed are located at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Get there and hug a tree! Stage a protest! Knock a poacher upside the head! Start a dialogue!

I don't think any of this is going to stop the poaching.

Hugging a tree is not going to stop it.

Staging a protest is not going to stop it.

Knocking a poacher upside the head could lead to my death or imprisionment...no thanks.

I think the best way to handle it is to find out what The California Dept. of Parks & Recreation is planning to do about it. That would be a first step.

Let them or the military get involved. They are much better equipped than most of us to handle this situation.

Have you forgotten about this? The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming | Mother Jones

Poisoned Parks: Illegal Marijuana Growers Leave National Parks Trashed, Animals Dead | NBC Bay Area

Our national parks have been surrendered to the Mexican drug cartels (w/shocking video) - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com

I am not willing to put myself into a potentially deadly situation. The people doing this have no regard for the majestic beauties...what do you think they would do to a person who wants to protect the majestic beauties? I am not willing to find out.

Man killed in pot raid -- warden wounded / Big marijuana haul in Los Gatos hills - SFGate

Northern California's Illegal Marijuana Trade Takes Deadly Toll

There are two serious issues going on in the forests here in Northern California.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Have you forgotten about this? The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming | Mother Jones

Poisoned Parks: Illegal Marijuana Growers Leave National Parks Trashed, Animals Dead | NBC Bay Area

Our national parks have been surrendered to the Mexican drug cartels (w/shocking video) - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com

I am not willing to put myself into a potentially deadly situation. The people doing this have no regard for the majestic beauties...what do you think they would do to a person who wants to protect the majestic beauties? I am not willing to find out.

Man killed in pot raid -- warden wounded / Big marijuana haul in Los Gatos hills - SFGate

Northern California's Illegal Marijuana Trade Takes Deadly Toll

There are two serious issues going on in the forests here in Northern California.
That's the problem: Virtually all available personnel are already overloaded with the illegal pot grows all over the woods, which are reeking serious destruction at an all but exponentially increasing rate.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That's the problem: Virtually all available personnel are already overloaded with the illegal pot grows all over the woods, which are reeking serious destruction at an all but exponentially increasing rate.
I don't understand why they don't enlist the Military for help to get the Mexican Drug Cartels out of the CA forests.

On another note it could possibly some of the pot growers crew doing this to the Redwoods. They are already living in forests so maybe this is their pastime. Making furniture from Redwoods.

And you make a good point. If the Parks and Recreation Police can't get a handle on this problem and people are getting killed over it...then how are you and I going to make a difference? Should I quit my job, get trained in semiautomatic's and put on camouflage and go live in the forest?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:52 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
There wouldn't be a problem with Mexican pot plantations if it were legal to grow pot.

As for burls, the solution is to put the trees under 24/7 patrols using night vision...... and also increasing prison times. Yeah, it would take money, but not as much money as it takes to manufacture one of those obsolete tanks that are immediately sent to be mothballed in the deserts.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
But doesn't this protecting the redwoods movement amount to placing yet ANOTHER restriction on entrepreneurship in California?
Not if done correctly...

One must remember the poacher is only the symptom an underlying problem. Those that are involved in the trade/craft of redwood art, need to be pro active and police themselves. (Those that love the redwoods can help by pushing government to set up a certification program.)

I would think a certification program for redwood art would be a step in the right direction. Now, certification programs are not perfect but they can protect trees and help those entrepreneur's who want to sell their "ethically harvested" redwood art command a premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California