Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would cause you to leave California?
If it became unaffordable for me... 59 48.36%
If politics got too liberal/conservative/moderate... 17 13.93%
If it gets too crowded... 26 21.31%
If I had to move for work.... 26 21.31%
Nothing. I can't leave California, family/sunshine/hollywood/natural beauty/etc keeps me here and I can't find it anywhere else. 40 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Hi! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? There are 23 states with beaches. My First choice would be Texas most likely. Besides the beach there are mountains, deserts, rivers, lakes, multiple pro sports teams, amusement parks, water parks, malls, restaurants....everything there is to do here, and for a lot less money. Just as I said
Your statement holds as little water as your single natural lake. That's right, one lake in all of Texas. The rest are reservoirs, fed by muddy and polluted rivers--polluted not only by cities and industry, but agricultural waste and pesticide runoff. There are no pristine alpine lakes like Tahoe. It is fed by snow melt and springs filtered through the Sierra Nevada. Texas reservoirs make a poor comparison. They are murky collecting pools of everything upstream that was dumped into them. Cities in Texas as recently as a few years ago were still dumping raw sewage into bayous and streams. Perhaps some still do.

On the topic of the beaches, come on. Texas' best, South Padre, is an okay beach. It would rank as one of the absolute worst in all of California if transported here. There are many in Texas, specifically Galveston, that are polluted, brown-water disgraces.

Your mountains are desert mountains and 9-12 hours away from where most people in the state live. Hardly an asset.

I'll grant you malls, amusement parks, and water parks. I guess. You are right to point out that its a cheaper experience, though. In every sense of the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM

555 posts, read 803,296 times
mbell:

I hate to break this news to you but Austin and Dallas aren't exactly bastions of Conservatism. I've seen the voter demographics on this; and Dallas is more strongly Democrat than LA. If you want Conservative towns in Texas, you have to go to place Lubbock and Abeleine which are nowhere near the beaches.

Also, if you think that California has a problem not controlling illegal immigration, just wait until you see Texas. And as far being a welfare state, the mayor of San Antonio was just appointed by Obama to head the Department of Housing and Urban Development. If you want to know what qualified him for that position, just do a Google search for 'San Antonio Haven of Hope' and tell me if the California nanny-state ever did anything like that.

Corpus Christi has about the only decent beaches in the state, and they are small and full of rocks.

I agree with you that Cali's gun laws are too restrictive, but there are signs that those could change in the near future.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
mbell:

I hate to break this news to you but Austin and Dallas aren't exactly bastions of Conservatism. I've seen the voter demographics on this; and Dallas is more strongly Democrat than LA. If you want Conservative towns in Texas, you have to go to place Lubbock and Abeleine which are nowhere near the beaches.

Also, if you think that California has a problem not controlling illegal immigration, just wait until you see Texas. And as far being a welfare state, the mayor of San Antonio was just appointed by Obama to head the Department of Housing and Urban Development. If you want to know what qualified him for that position, just do a Google search for 'San Antonio Haven of Hope' and tell me if the California nanny-state ever did anything like that.

Corpus Christi has about the only decent beaches in the state, and they are small and full of rocks.

I agree with you that Cali's gun laws are too restrictive, but there are signs that those could change in the near future.
Thanks. Yes, I am aware that Dallas and Austin are mostly Democrat but they are a far cry from the crazy liberals here in CA. They are just left of center rather than extremely left. I can live with that. As I said, I don't need to live near a beach. Ive lived close enough to one here to know how infrequently I actually go. I looked up Haven for hope and what am I missing? Its a 37 acre complex built to help and rehabilitate homeless people and get them off the streets. Would much rather that then seeing them on the streets everywhere. That is not what a "nanny state" is. A nanny state is one like CA where lawmakers feel the need to try and control everything you do. We have over 2,000 new laws being put in place EVERY year, that is beyond ridiculous.

Californians Fleeing 'Nanny State' for Texas - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I am aware that Dallas and Austin are mostly Democrat but they are a far cry from the crazy liberals here in CA. They are just left of center rather than extremely left. I can live with that. As I said, I don't need to live near a beach. Ive lived close enough to one here to know how infrequently I actually go. I looked up Haven for hope and what am I missing? Its a 37 acre complex built to help and rehabilitate homeless people and get them off the streets. Would much rather that then seeing them on the streets everywhere. That is not what a "nanny state" is. A nanny state is one like CA where lawmakers feel the need to try and control everything you do. We have over 2,000 new laws being put in place EVERY year, that is beyond ridiculous.

Californians Fleeing 'Nanny State' for Texas - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com
If I hated CA as much as you, I'd leave in New York minute. What is holding you up? The high paying job? The fact that your options would land you in an inferior, but less expensive lifestyle?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:48 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If I hated CA as much as you, I'd leave in New York minute. What is holding you up? The high paying job? The fact that your options would land you in an inferior, but less expensive lifestyle?
Read post #3 in the thread you just created

Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 PM

172 posts, read 274,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachWife View Post
I read different threads around this forum and so many people complain about California. They complain about the high housing cost, high cost of living, too many illegals, too liberal, too conservative, too moderate, too crowded!!!

For those of you who stay, despite complaining about how bad it is becoming, what would be your breaking point to pick up and just leave to greener pastures?
I'm kinda looking to get out now but, I don't leave because I don't want to be too far from family. I have generations of family here. It's too crowded too many foreigners, too much crime, and I just don't fit in many places anymore. I'd give myself 10 years max before I move.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJudge View Post
I'm kinda looking to get out now but, I don't leave because I don't want to be too far from family. I have generations of family here. It's too crowded [b]too many foreigners[b], too much crime, and I just don't fit in many places anymore. I'd give myself 10 years max before I move.
Move to Duluth, Minnesota. I hear that snow can cure one of xenophobia.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 AM

172 posts, read 274,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Move to Duluth, Minnesota. I hear that snow can cure one of xenophobia.
Why can't everybody else move? I was born here. Someplace like Nevada, Colorado, Oregon are more up my alley.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:58 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachWife View Post
I read different threads around this forum and so many people complain about California. They complain about the high housing cost, high cost of living, too many illegals, too liberal, too conservative, too moderate, too crowded!!!

For those of you who stay, despite complaining about how bad it is becoming, what would be your breaking point to pick up and just leave to greener pastures?
I lived here from 1991-2005, most of those years in a rent-controlled apartment in West Hlywd. I was cushioned from many of the high costs of living here. I wanted to move back home to San Antonio and did so. I really liked the lower costs and being so close to family, but missed the So Cal lifestyle and friends that I had here. Now that I'm 50, i think more about having a permanent home to live in. This is nearly impossible to come by on a single income in So Cal. I am realizing that while it is fun to be here, that I probably missed the boat when it comes to being able to afford a home in So Cal. I'm thinking about going back to Texas. That and the outrageous traffic. Today, for example, I wanted to attend a 12:00 lunch in anaheim from woodland hills. I left like about 10:20. When I got the gist of what Friday morning traffic was on the 101. I turned back and realized that I would not be able to attend. It's way too crowded here. I miss what So Cal was like even in the 1990s.

Last edited by wehotex; 07-12-2014 at 02:07 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Hi! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? There are 23 states with beaches. My First choice would be Texas most likely. Besides the beach there are mountains, deserts, rivers, lakes, multiple pro sports teams, amusement parks, water parks, malls, restaurants....everything there is to do here, and for a lot less money. Just as I said
You're right -- except for all that, you'd have to live in Dallas (no beach). If you want beach, you'd have to live in Houston or Corpus Christi. Texas has long, hot, humid summers, and Houston and CC are the worst. Dallas (#7) and Houston (#8) also are among the top cities in The US with the worst air pollution, according to The American Lung Association.

My oldest son and his family moved to Texas. Couldn't wait to move to Texas! Texas was much more in alignment with their politics and their religious beliefs (actually, her religious beliefs). Four years later they couldn't wait to get out of Texas! And they moved back to Southern CA!

I will tell you -- I thoroughly researched Dallas, Houston and CC as possible places to live. And Dallas sounds like a good place to live, except for the weather and polluted air. The people who actually live there can't stand the weather (so very hot and humid) and bad air pollution**. But, yes, if it weren't for the weather and air pollution, I could see myself living in Dallas. There is a lot to do there (Houston and CC not so much). Seems like a very interesting city. [So when you are leaving for Dallas? ]

**Dallas has been designated "the most air conditioned city in The US". Houston and CC are worse. Can you afford the monthly AC bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California