Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So you want to leave California: where would you go?
Fort Collins, Colorado 8 15.69%
Boise, Idaho 9 17.65%
Bend, Oregon 8 15.69%
Greeley, Colorado 2 3.92%
Bowling Green, Kentucky 3 5.88%
Fargo, North Dakota 1 1.96%
Portland, Maine 11 21.57%
Albany, Oregon 6 11.76%
Des Moines, Iowa 3 5.88%
Sioux Falls, South Dakota 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:10 PM

631 posts, read 749,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanychantel View Post
Fantastic! We as in your parents/siblings--are you younger, just out of high school--is that what you mean by your whole family? Or we as in your spouse?

Edit - never mind, just read your profile - you're college-age, then. Is your whole family born/raised in CA? My family is, but half of them moved to Colorado 10 years ago (blech - I'm not a fan). I'm moving to the East coast in April - I can't wait
Just mom and grandma. Yeah part of the family moved to Boulder in Colorado and everyone else went to Washington and the mid-west. I haven't been doing nothing though, I ran an online business and did a part time job to pay for junior college. I paid for my car and part of this house with it.

Un-ironically I sold mostly to the New England and New York area anyways. I've been out of high school for 6 years and needed time to pick a major; after a love affair for Calculus and just doing cost calculations on a daily basis I picked Accounting and Finance. I knew the schools in the west were overpacked already so I went through a list of less popular locations. Californians are extremely rare in Maine, so it was easy to get complete financing and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
IF I ever decided to leave California I think I would go to the PNW, maybe the Portland area. I'd also look at Colorado or Salt Lake City. However, I do not feel like leaving California anytime soon.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Un-ironically I sold mostly to the New England and New York area anyways. I've been out of high school for 6 years and needed time to pick a major; after a love affair for Calculus and just doing cost calculations on a daily basis I picked Accounting and Finance. I knew the schools in the west were overpacked already so I went through a list of less popular locations. Californians are extremely rare in Maine, so it was easy to get complete financing and then some.
Ahhhhhh okay I didn't know Californians were particularly rare in Maine - hadn't really thought about it, but it makes sense, haha. My ex was from Maine, so I've been there a couple times, and just fell in love with it. I know winter would be extremely rough on me if I ever lived there, though :X Buttttt, it's part of the whole package of living on the East coast!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 PM

192 posts, read 204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Spokane is heaven on earth (for me),
You may be the first person I've ever heard say that. I've got a friend who grew up there and regularly refers to Spokane as "Spokompton". I guess referring to all the crime and drugs. Just checked the crime statistics and they are well over TWICE the national average. The highest I've ever read on city-data.

I even remember driving through Spokane and thinking it was one of the ugliest cities I've ever visited. It's far from pretty and green like the rest of Washington. And those winters are absolutely brutal, they don't bother you at all???

Last edited by coolbeans2000; 07-21-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 12:42 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans2000 View Post
You may be the first person I've ever heard say that. I've got a friend who grew up there and regularly refers to Spokane as "Spokompton". I guess referring to all the crime and drugs. Just checked the crime statistics and they are well over TWICE the national average. The highest I've ever read on city-data.

I even remember driving through Spokane and thinking it was one of the ugliest cities I've ever visited. It's far from pretty and green like the rest of Washington. And those winters are absolutely brutal, they don't bother you at all???
Well, I never got to experience a Spokane winter, but I am a survivor of several Denver winters.

If I ever get to live in Spokane again, if I can't put up with the winters (doubtful, I love everything about winter), then obviously my opinion could change. Won't know until I find out.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I'm going to go against the usual and say Des Moines. I was in that area for a year and a half and its a very nice smaller city. Yeah, its cold in the winter, but the people are pretty nice, the downtown is quite amazing for a city of 200K and the economy is very solid (second biggest insurance center outside of Hartford CT). Home prices are reasonable, schools in Polk County are good, unemployment is low and its safe. Bad part? You're a days drive or more from real mountains or the ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines,_Iowa
Des Moines Iowa - City Skyline Pictures, Cityscape Prints, Canvas, Metal, Panoramics, Murals, Digital Stock

Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, I never got to experience a Spokane winter, but I am a survivor of several Denver winters.

If I ever get to live in Spokane again, if I can't put up with the winters (doubtful, I love everything about winter), then obviously my opinion could change. Won't know until I find out.
Compared with Ridgecrest / The High Desert, Spokane is pretty and green (or at least, has enough brownish green prairie to sort of pass ... a far cry from real desert).

Old 07-22-2015, 03:35 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
I too have lived around the Nation and have seen some lovely spots and some deplorable ones.

Have never understood why you have to leave California to be happy UNLESS, you move to be near family, or move to satisfy a loved one, or just get the itch to see other spots.

As some have said, stay out of LA or the Bay Area and you can find decently affordable towns in California.

The weather is so much better that 75% of the Nation. Yes, we have fruits and nuts here but after all we are 38 million folks. That is larger than most countries. I seem to recall Sweden is only about 10 million?
Norway is 5. 2 million and Finland has 5.4 million folks.

Sometimes i do wish California could be split in say 3 pieces to facilitate the lack of real government but that is wishful thinking.

Bottom line is you can live and enjoy California if you have a mind to.

Just a few disjointed thoughts.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Compared with Ridgecrest / The High Desert, Spokane is pretty and green (or at least, has enough brownish green prairie to sort of pass ... a far cry from real desert).
That's for sure. Denver makes Spokane look as green as Seattle.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
I've only been to 3 or 4 of the listed places so I can't vote meaningfully. Maine? Dakotas? Kentucky? Just places on the map to me. How did you happen to pick these?

I will say that I was surprisingly impressed by Des Moines during a one-day stopover there a few years ago. However, it was in May, probably one of only a few months of good weather.

Out of the states listed, I guess either Colorado or Oregon, although not necessarily to those cities. When I leave California it will be for retirement, probably to Washington state, somewhere in the Puget Sound region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California