Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

This is downright terrifying and frightening. Living in the Bay Area culture bubble, I forget how damned ignorant some in this country really are.
I always thought living in a bubble makes a person ignorant. hence the word bubble.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:52 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
I'll take Trump any day over Hillery.
x2

Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Trumps brand or right wing political rhetoric is more similar to European right wing rhetoric.

In Europe the major right wing issue is largely immigration/Mulims/demographic change.

European right wing politics have no interest in military might, gun culture, fundamentalist/evangelical christianity, etc.

I wouldn't be too surprised if its indeed true that Trump might lead in the polls amongst those who ARE conservative in typically blue states. In typically blue states, those who are conservative/right wing are probably more concerned with what they see as the negative effects of "too many foreigners" coming here too quickly and having a negative impact on public resources, employment, etc.

Those other issues that are bigger issues in rural culture states (religion, 2nd amendment) may be less of an issue in suburban exurban areas or large metro areas because of the culture, but suburban, exurban people, have seen the demographic change themselves more than people living in West Virginia, North Dakota, etc.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:03 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
I'll take Trump any day over Hillery.
I see a lot of hate from the right winger base. Which isn't to say legislators wouldn't work with her in actuality. I personally don't understand where all this venom actually stems from. I know they say things like Benghazi. The ridiculous thing about all this is the fact that we had an administration (Bush) actively committing war crimes that was never investigated, and probably got us right where we are with ISIS. I think it may go back as far as the Lewinsky trials for the opinion shapers, and political power brokers. They really thought they were going to nail Bill and it just didn't happen. Either way I will vote for her in the general if it comes down to it. Ultimately the reason why I support Hillary over Bernie is because I can actually picture her as president. I honestly can't imagine Bernie Sanders representing our country at the G8 Summit or responding to an international crisis situation or standing up to Putin. Hillary is more intelligent, more experienced, more pragmatic, and more presidential. Bernie kind of just brings up the same issue over and over again, when really all it means is that he wants to raise taxes on the wealthy (as does Hillary) and increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour (Hillary wants it at 11-12 which economists agree is much more reasonable). Also she could actually beat a republican in the general.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Trumps brand or right wing political rhetoric is more similar to European right wing rhetoric.

In Europe the major right wing issue is largely immigration/Mulims/demographic change.

European right wing politics have no interest in military might, gun culture, fundamentalist/evangelical christianity, etc.

I wouldn't be too surprised if its indeed true that Trump might lead in the polls amongst those who ARE conservative in typically blue states. In typically blue states, those who are conservative/right wing are probably more concerned with what they see as the negative effects of "too many foreigners" coming here too quickly and having a negative impact on public resources, employment, etc.

Those other issues that are bigger issues in rural culture states (religion, 2nd amendment) may be less of an issue in suburban exurban areas or large metro areas because of the culture, but suburban, exurban people, have seen the demographic change themselves more than people living in West Virginia, North Dakota, etc.
Red or Blue I view it as symptomatic of the general divide and conquer situation we have, where the PTB want the various have nots / angry factions all fighting each other instead of demanding reform.

To the extent that clowns like Trump, Paul, Buchannan et al stoke this up they are arguably more on the side of the PTB than against the PTB.

Just saying.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I see a lot of hate from the right winger base. Which isn't to say legislators wouldn't work with her in actuality. I personally don't understand where all this venom actually stems from. I know they say things like Benghazi. The ridiculous thing about all this is the fact that we had an administration (Bush) actively committing war crimes that was never investigated, and probably got us right where we are with ISIS. I think it may go back as far as the Lewinsky trials for the opinion shapers, and political power brokers. They really thought they were going to nail Bill and it just didn't happen. Either way I will vote for her in the general if it comes down to it. Ultimately the reason why I support Hillary over Bernie is because I can actually picture her as president. I honestly can't imagine Bernie Sanders representing our country at the G8 Summit or responding to an international crisis situation or standing up to Putin. Hillary is more intelligent, more experienced, more pragmatic, and more presidential. Bernie kind of just brings up the same issue over and over again, when really all it means is that he wants to raise taxes on the wealthy (as does Hillary) and increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour (Hillary wants it at 11-12 which economists agree is much more reasonable). Also she could actually beat a republican in the general.
You do know that raising the minimum wage also raises many Union wages as they are tied to the minimum. Bet Unions are very favorably inclined to it and .... we all get to pay for it in higher prices which, negates the value of the raise and hurts everyone who does not get a wage increase , like the normal guy. Most minimum wage jobs are entry level and were never designed nor intended to be a job that supports a family. Used to be school kids at first and living at home.

By the way the most virulent hate seems to come from Liberals. Note I am not a liberal or conservative and belong to no party, but I am observant.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Remember that Hillary voted in favor of the Iraq war.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:51 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Remember that Hillary voted in favor of the Iraq war.
No one voted for the Iraq war.
The vote was to authorize military action if we faced an imminent threat. Bush said it would be used only as a last resort, and it wouldn't last more than 6 weeks at the most.
Bush lied and immediately attacked Iraq after the vote. No one knew he was going to occupy the country, or mess things up as badly as he did. He claimed he didn't believe in nation building.
She didn't authorize the torture that took place during his administration either.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
No one voted for the Iraq war.
The vote was to authorize military action if we faced an imminent threat. Bush said it would be used only as a last resort, and it wouldn't last more than 6 weeks at the most.
Bush lied and immediately attacked Iraq after the vote. No one knew he was going to occupy the country, or mess things up as badly as he did. He claimed he didn't believe in nation building.
She didn't authorize the torture that took place during his administration either.
Don't kid yourself, she authorized the military action in Iraq that I would have voted against. She knew an invasion would occur. My house was egged because of my staunch opposition to that war. I lived in SD County and protested against that stupid war since I saw no nexus between Saddam Hussein and Saudi-sponsored terrorism (never mind the desperate attempts of arguing WMDs and uranium from Niger).

Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
I always thought living in a bubble makes a person ignorant. hence the word bubble.
Not sure that's how I'd interpret that...

I'm plenty open-minded (and am not necesarilly in agreement with everything most people around here believe in), but forget that there are plenty of people out there that are less-welcoming to others not like them (for reasons not based on any data/legitimate basis/reality - that's pretty much the definition of ignorance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California