Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 04:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Certainly not trash, higher income people love no income tax state. That is why Florida is so popular with high income NYers.
You are right. The COL in CA is not having the effect of keeping Trash out; if it kept the trash out, CA would have a much lower population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 05:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Yeah sure. How about no income tax, lower sale tax, cheaper housing, beautiful mountain scenery, outdoor activities, etc.. You can get to the ski resort less than 1 hour.
You don't drive very far here to get to work and shop. Traffic is also not bad at all.
People from Bay area and Sacramento drive to the Sierra ski resort all the time. You looks at the weather report and plan accordingly. The snow are bad on the California side. Once you get to Nevada, the sky is usually sunny.
People are not dumb. They move to Reno because the place offers a lot!
If you like Reno then I'm real happy for you. Personally I think it's a miserable place to live.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Certainly not trash, higher income people love no income tax state. That is why Florida is so popular with high income NYers.
unless you are self employed you can hardly bring your "high income job" with you to Reno, so how does no income tax help you if you are earning significantly less money?

Old 02-26-2017, 05:14 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
unless you are self employed you can hardly bring your "high income job" with you to Reno, so how does no income tax help you if you are earning significantly less money?
There are high income jobs here if you have appropriate skills. Depend on industry, some pay better than CA ( high demand but not enough supply of qualified applicants).

Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
You need pockets deeper than the ocean. And you'll be lucky if you have money leftover after the communists in Sacramento take a significant amount.
No you don't, you just learn to be smart with your money and make it work. I hike, go to the beach often, camp, I take advantage of all the free outdoors activities the state has to offer and don't need to spend alot of money to have fun.

I only have one affordable car payment (intend to keep it that way for a long time), carpool with my husband to work, buy at discount stores, bought a home in an affordable area (got creative searching for neighborhoods and stayed at a job where I could move around if necessary).

I don't see myself living somewhere else. By the way, I also travel often and save.

Last edited by rosa surf; 02-26-2017 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM

126 posts, read 208,603 times
Quote:
LOL. Florida. The state people with no job run to. Especially retirees.

Florida Food Stamp: 16.1% of Population on Food Stamps
CA Food Stamp: 9.7%.

For a state where rich people run to, they sure have a lot of people on food stamps.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
No you don't, you just learn to be smart with your money and make it work. I hike, go to the beach often, camp, I take advantage of all the free outdoors activities the state has to offer and don't need to spend alot of money to have fun.

I only have one affordable car payment (intend to keep it that way for a long time), carpool with my husband to work, buy at discount stores, bought a home in an affordable area (got creative searching for neighborhoods and stayed at a job where I could move around if necessary).

I don't see myself living somewhere else. By the way, I also travel often and save.
You are doing it wisely and well.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are doing it wisely and well.
It wasn't easy to become so disciplined, but once I picked up the good habits, I realized I have enough money for everything I need and we are careful with each move we make. Like, instead of going to expensive dinners and happy hours, I host at my home instead. A few bottles of wine and some Trader Joe's snacks, only 20 bucks! Once in a while we splurge, but it's only like once every two months or for a special event. When we eat out it is to affordable places.

It's also nice to have this 'shabby chic' style that has become popular. I decorated on a very minimal budget with wooden boxes, shelves, and vintage items. It worked out well.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 AM

848 posts, read 968,395 times
I'm always amazed at how people often complain about state income tax (here, AZ, anywhere that has it). It's literally a little over 4% in both CA and AZ for me. An extra $200 gross per month isn't going to do a damn thing for me. The 5x more the feds take out however is definitely something I notice. 4% is a bug on the windshield. And not even in direct line of sight.

There has to be something I'm missing. Maybe it's a little different with your own business. I don't know.

Now if we're talking about state sales tax, then that's a whole other story. That I can definitely do without and would notice every single day.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It wasn't easy to become so disciplined, but once I picked up the good habits, I realized I have enough money for everything I need and we are careful with each move we make. Like, instead of going to expensive dinners and happy hours, I host at my home instead. A few bottles of wine and some Trader Joe's snacks, only 20 bucks! Once in a while we splurge, but it's only like once every two months or for a special event. When we eat out it is to affordable places.

It's also nice to have this 'shabby chic' style that has become popular. I decorated on a very minimal budget with wooden boxes, shelves, and vintage items. It worked out well.
I applaud you for your frugality but I wonder if you do it to remain in CA and accept the tradeoff, or do you just think that life would be the same anywhere else so might as well remain in CA?

It's your choice, and this is something that shouldn't be lost on people; people have different tastes and either choose QOL or COL. Rarely do people get both unless they're wealthier. Some people might find the things CA offers to be intangible so things you can't quantify on paper are also factored into their decision to live in CA. Some people can't live like that. They want tangible things you can quantify, they can't live off weather and good vibes alone. They need a bigger home, more land, more assets, and more purchasing power.

The person who likes the latter attacks the former for living in a shack next to the beach and eating ramen with two roommates, the person who likes the former attacks the latter person for living in a sub-par state with crappy weather and buying a McMansion in a cookie cutter master planned community. The first group rationalizes their choice as being far above the material things in service to the intangible, the second group thinks of tangible assets; i.e. what do you have to show for all your hard work? Neither will understand each others choices because they both have different tastes and a different outlook on life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California