Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 06:23 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
I've lived here my whole life. We own a ranch which we are emotionally and financially attached to. We've looked into moving out of state and the housing prices were about the same or more.
Where do you live and where did you look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 01:29 PM

130,455 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I love California but I really hate this mentality.

Why? It seems simple to me, either you like a place or you don't, imo it is stupid to stay somewhere you don't enjoy. Life is too short. I love California, but if I didn't I'd move somewhere I could love. When we retired we moved to a cheaper part of the state.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Yet why do people continue to live there, unknownst they're getting ripped off and could get better deals in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, etc...?
There's always 'someplace cheaper'.

But most people don't aspire to spending as little as possible. I guess that's why no person with at least half a clue thinks of 'dining out' as paying $3.98 for a burger and fries at McDonald's...

Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 PM

782 posts, read 760,454 times
Quote:
Yet why do people continue to live there, unknownst they're getting ripped off and could get better deals in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, etc...?

My family was smart enough to escape, even though the state being a disaster decades ago. (This was during the Gray Davis era).
I just moved here over a year ago, I'm doing better here financially than I did in No State Income Tax Florida.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Both my husband and I were born and raised in central California. We considered moving out of California when we were in our early twenties, but the jobs elsewhere didn't pay as well, and the cost of moving was high. When we decided to have kids we felt like we had sealed our fate since all of our family lives in California and we wanted our girls to grow up with their grandparents, uncles, and their cousins. So to be frank the reason why we stayed there for decades was because our family is there.

However finally enough was enough. My husband decided last year to look for a new job anywhere north of California. We checked out Oregon, Washington state, Montana and Idaho were both high on our list due to their conservative nature and freedom of using guns, but in the end Wyoming is where we moved to and I honestly wish we had moved years ago.

You only have one life to live, don't waste it somewhere you hate. If you want to live in California and love it great, we did not and finally we came to our senses and got the heck out of there. We miss the family, and that is all we miss about California.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Californians, especially with families move to those states. It's cheaper to raise families, and have a decent middle class lifestyle along with good schools. I run into California escapees in those states, and that's what they tell me.
Nevada sucks, I was there for 14 years and moved back to California. Reno is boring, snow sucks, nothing is really cheaper but wages are lower, utility bills were 3 X what I pay here, a 2 hour drive from Reno to Sacramento can turn into a 9 hour nightmare if the weather turns bad. Gas is 30 cents a gallon higher than Sacramento because of a local tax. But I don't spend my time starting new threads in the Nevada forum to remind people how dumb they are to live there, they either know it or they don't.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 PM

782 posts, read 760,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nevada sucks, I was there for 14 years and moved back to California. Reno is boring, snow sucks, nothing is really cheaper but wages are lower, utility bills were 3 X what I pay here, a 2 hour drive from Reno to Sacramento can turn into a 9 hour nightmare if the weather turns bad. Gas is 30 cents a gallon higher than Sacramento because of a local tax. But I don't spend my time starting new threads in the Nevada forum to remind people how dumb they are to live there, they either know it or they don't.
That's the belief with many states and regions of said states, it's "cheaper" they say, but do not get into the specifics or run the numbers. It all works well when you live in a van down by the river.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:35 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yeah sure. How about no income tax, lower sale tax, cheaper housing, beautiful mountain scenery, outdoor activities, etc.. You can get to the ski resort less than 1 hour.

You don't drive very far here to get to work and shop. Traffic is also not bad at all.

People from Bay area and Sacramento drive to the Sierra ski resort all the time. You looks at the weather report and plan accordingly. The snow are bad on the California side. Once you get to Nevada, the sky is usually sunny.

People are not dumb. They move to Reno because the place offers a lot!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 PM

126 posts, read 208,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Yeah sure. How about no income tax, lower sale tax, cheaper housing, beautiful mountain scenery, outdoor activities, etc.. You can get to the ski resort less than 1 hour.

You don't drive very far here to get to work and shop. Traffic is also not bad at all.

People from Bay area and Sacramento drive to the Sierra ski resort all the time. You looks at the weather report and plan accordingly. The snow are bad on the California side. Once you get to Nevada, the sky is usually sunny.

People are not dumb. They move to Reno because the place offers a lot!
lol, there's a reason why housing is cheaper... Nevada, nice place to visit and throw you money away, then head back home to CA.

if CA got rid of income tax and the housing market crashed, EVERYONE, and I mean everyone would leave TX, FL, TN etc etc to come live in CA.

There's a reason it's expensive here. To keep the trash out.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilamai View Post
lol, there's a reason why housing is cheaper... Nevada, nice place to visit and throw you money away, then head back home to CA.

if CA got rid of income tax and the housing market crashed, EVERYONE, and I mean everyone would leave TX, FL, TN etc etc to come live in CA.

There's a reason it's expensive here. To keep the trash out.
Certainly not trash, higher income people love no income tax state. That is why Florida is so popular with high income NYers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California