Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times

Advertisements

Housing for a lot of people in California.

Shock Video Exposes Tent City Crisis In Failing California » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 02:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A bit biased and contains a few opinions not facts, but CA does have a problem and is not addressing it in any intelligent way.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I moved my family to CA from one of those hellhole states and now I'm a millionaire.

There's no economic activity or innovation in those crapholes. If ur a dumb lazy drone, CA is probably not appealing to you. Go work in some toxic Midwestern plastic fork factory that Trump is bringing back from China for people like you. Enjoy the carcenogens.
I live in a state next door to CA and I wouldn't consider it a hellhole. Back then, CA used to be a good place to live but now it turned to s#t. Which is why my family got me out.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Is it me, or is this thread predicated on the sentiment of "You're wrong for liking what I don't like"?

As long as you have agency to pick what you like, who's to sya what's better? I have friends living in 4,000 sq. feet homes in posh Missouri neighborhoods and friends living on their sailboat here in Los Angeles, and I'd be hard pressed to say who's the happier.

I can see the Pacific from my front porch, ride my bike to work along the beach, sail on weekdays in summer. I can also have doors and windows open for 9 months out of the year - no AC. I like that. A lot.

Someone upthread mentioned living in Las Vegas, and every time I think that could be kinda cool, I visit. 48 hours later I want out. Not for me, but if it floats your pool noodle, more power to you.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
When I was a young gal growing up in the 50s we all wanted to "Go To K_____" Sorry, I cannot even say the words anymore.
Don't leave us hanging, here.

Quote:
The term "third world" seems to be used a lot these days to describe your once beautiful state.
In my experience, that's a comparison mostly used by people who have as much knowledge of the third world as they have of California.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Don't leave us hanging, here.

In my experience, that's a comparison mostly used by people who have as much knowledge of the third world as they have of California.
Or those who grew up in CA in the 50's and 60's and see how much it has changed. While some has been good, a great deal has also been for the bad.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:26 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Is it me, or is this thread predicated on the sentiment of "You're wrong for liking what I don't like"?

As long as you have agency to pick what you like, who's to sya what's better? I have friends living in 4,000 sq. feet homes in posh Missouri neighborhoods and friends living on their sailboat here in Los Angeles, and I'd be hard pressed to say who's the happier.

I can see the Pacific from my front porch, ride my bike to work along the beach, sail on weekdays in summer. I can also have doors and windows open for 9 months out of the year - no AC. I like that. A lot.

Someone upthread mentioned living in Las Vegas, and every time I think that could be kinda cool, I visit. 48 hours later I want out. Not for me, but if it floats your pool noodle, more power to you.
Exactly. Agree 100%.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Or those who grew up in CA in the 50's and 60's and see how much it has changed. While some has been good, a great deal has also been for the bad.
But things were always better back when. Change is a constant and we won't like some of it.

The air (and other less-visible environmental impacts) has much improved, property crime is down, violent crime is about at 1960 levels (peaked in the 1980s). "Third-world" is a pretty serious term to throw around in my mind. The numbers seem to indicate that CA is changing, but not - to me - in a bad way.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
But things were always better back when. Change is a constant and we won't like some of it.

The air (and other less-visible environmental impacts) has much improved, property crime is down, violent crime is about at 1960 levels (peaked in the 1980s). "Third-world" is a pretty serious term to throw around in my mind. The numbers seem to indicate that CA is changing, but not - to me - in a bad way.
Third world comes from the loss of middle class jobs and the divide between low paying and high paying. Then we see gangs taking over parks and driving the residents away by their belligerent behavior and practices. Gangs taking over whole neighborhoods and the police can do just about nothing about it. Then we have homeless encampments growing, more people begging and more on drugs. These are third world conditions.

Yes the air is better, overall crime is down, but some of that is because the crime reporting standards change and in other cases because the illegals do not report crimes against them in many cases, especially if by their own neighbors, who they are afraid of.

I grew up in those years in OC and the State has gone down hill in many areas. Yes in some it has improved, but not for so many who are living in less than even "good" conditions.

Change occurs, but the problem is the bad changes not the good ones. As a child I never saw a homeless person, a beggar or even heard about drug use like we do today. Never heard of anyone's car being burglarized, we left our homes unlocked (Fullerton and Costa Mesa). Pot was the biggest thing you heard about and only minimally. Never knew anyone doing more than getting intoxicated occasionally and now I know a lot of drug users and some that have died. Many of the changes are very bad and mimic what you expect in third world Countries.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:58 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Change occurs, but the problem is the bad changes not the good ones. As a child I never saw a homeless person, a beggar or even heard about drug use like we do today. Never heard of anyone's car being burglarized, we left our homes unlocked (Fullerton and Costa Mesa). Pot was the biggest thing you heard about and only minimally. Never knew anyone doing more than getting intoxicated occasionally and now I know a lot of drug users and some that have died. Many of the changes are very bad and mimic what you expect in third world Countries.
Expat, since you don't currently live in California, I'm curious about the state where you do live. Do people leave their homes unlocked in every home in your state? Absolutely no one uses illegal drugs in your home state? Every one is fully employed there? Zero homeless in your state? No illegal aliens or refugees whatsoever? Perfect schools?

Because all of the "bad changes" you've listed have pretty much happened in every state over the last 20-30 years. The 1950s and 60s are over.

If it is true that your state has absolutely none, nada, zip of these issues, please let us know which state it is so we can figure out how you've managed to get caught in a time warp for the last few decades.

I'm sorry that you were forced to move out of California and leave your childhood home behind. It must have been heart breaking for you. I can't help wonder if that is why you feel the need to spend so much time and energy bashing a place you no longer live in: you're trying to justify why you left. No offense, but perhaps your time might be better spent taking a close look at the state where you currently live. Leave the past behind and move on.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-07-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California