Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
OK. Lets say you are homeless in flyover country. You know winter is coming and it's going to be freezing for weeks at a time. Would you not try to sell drugs, sell blood, collect cans, bum money from family and friends or even work under the table on a farm or something to get that $150 or so to get to California?

Route 66 may just be a relic but the urge to head west is still there. Especially with no roof over your head.
In every poll the vast majority did not do that. They went homeless IN CA as residents who had work, etc., originally. The blame is not on those from out of State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
OK. Lets say you are homeless in flyover country. You know winter is coming and it's going to be freezing for weeks at a time. Would you not try to sell drugs, sell blood, collect cans, bum money from family and friends or even work under the table on a farm or something to get that $150 or so to get to California?

Route 66 may just be a relic but the urge to head west is still there. Especially with no roof over your head.
Uh, except this is not what happens for the majority of homeless in California. The amount of homeless that migrate to California is less than 20% of the homeless population.

The majority of homeless in CA were previously residents, this is backed by LAHSA who as far as I know is one of the few organizations that actually tracks this data. They are created here in CA by job loss, drug addiction, or other factors.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
There are several links on this thread about different aspects of the homeless. Please point me to the one about the origins of California's homeless.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
There are several links on this thread about different aspects of the homeless. Please point me to the one about the origins of California's homeless.
Try a search yourself, it isn't hard.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../cali-f14.html

The faces of the homeless are changing. They’re not the stereotypical down-and-outs and winos any more. Now there are many mothers with children and whole families who come here, people who are used to working and are devastated to ask for help at a shelter. It’s humiliating for them to be here.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/17e...b975a4e0d4.pdf

He makes the case that increased income inequality working through the housing market is the root cause of the increase in homelessness that we have observed.

It is not people moving in, it is people here priced out and losing jobs.

Causes – Downtown Streets Team

Do a little search and you will find it all.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Try a search yourself, it isn't hard.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../cali-f14.html

The faces of the homeless are changing. They’re not the stereotypical down-and-outs and winos any more. Now there are many mothers with children and whole families who come here, people who are used to working and are devastated to ask for help at a shelter. It’s humiliating for them to be here.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/17e...b975a4e0d4.pdf

He makes the case that increased income inequality working through the housing market is the root cause of the increase in homelessness that we have observed.

It is not people moving in, it is people here priced out and losing jobs.

Causes – Downtown Streets Team

Do a little search and you will find it all.
Ok. You are saying people are being priced out. That I agree on. Its a result of capitalism for the most part. It's called supply and demand. When the supply of housing is outstripped by demand, the price goes up. If job availability goes down, real estate crashes. We had our last crash during the Bush-Schwarzenegger era and it was a big one.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Ok. You are saying people are being priced out. That I agree on. Its a result of capitalism for the most part. It's called supply and demand. When the supply of housing is outstripped by demand, the price goes up. If job availability goes down, real estate crashes. We had our last crash during the Bush-Schwarzenegger era and it was a big one.
Home pricing in CA is part of it, but so is job loss, etc. These are not people moving into CA for homeless benefits or weather, these are residents becoming homeless.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 AM

521 posts, read 733,830 times
I think CA has the best weather and for us it's worth the cost. It's best for allergies and arthritis. Not too dry but not humid either. I've always felt the best physically in coastal CA and you just can't put a price on that.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
I think CA has the best weather and for us it's worth the cost. It's best for allergies and arthritis. Not too dry but not humid either. I've always felt the best physically in coastal CA and you just can't put a price on that.
To an extent this is true. However the air quality is an issue almost everywhere, with few exceptions and aggravated by the mas of freeway traffic.

I am looking very carefully at areas with minimal to low air issues and they are rare in SoCal.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
I can see your point. I had a friend whose health wasn't great and living in SoCal within a 1/2 mile of the beach was best for their respiratory system. However the cost of living there became too great so they moved. So I guess there was a price.
Most people think of mostly just the SoCal beach areas and Nor Cal Bay Area.
I wondered if my allergies would be worse moving to Georgia. There's way more trees here and in the spring your car gets layers of pollen on it. Luckily for me my allergies actually bother me less. I would imagine most people would have it worse though.
I don't have arthritis but maybe when I get older I will then location may be a bigger factor for me.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
To an extent this is true. However the air quality is an issue almost everywhere, with few exceptions and aggravated by the mas of freeway traffic.

I am looking very carefully at areas with minimal to low air issues and they are rare in SoCal.
I'm sure your happy that your guy Trump wants to ease restrictions on air pollution.

I never did see any proof that California's homeless problem is home grown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California