Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I'm sure your happy that your guy Trump wants to ease restrictions on air pollution.

I never did see any proof that California's homeless problem is home grown.
Trumpis NOT my guy.

As to the homeless problem just google it. It is primarily residents who go homeless as homeless in other States have no money to travel to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
However the cost of living there became too great so they moved. So I guess there was a price.
Builders now estimate that 25% of the price of a new home is due to the mishmash spaghetti bowl of non-value-add regulatory compliance, including regulations that are mutually exclusive and self-contradictory. This is up dramatically since 2011. If we can get the burden of non-value-add regulations reduced or eliminated, that will have an impact on the cost of living.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I never did see any proof that California's homeless problem is home grown.
Here's your evidence, go drive around an area occupied by homeless people and look at how they live, the clothes they wear, where they sleep etc.

Then ask yourself this: "Does this person really look like they went to a travel bureau counted out the cash and booked their trip to California?"

For heaven's sake most of them don't even have an ID card and if they acquired enough money to take a bus, they probably would be more inclined to rent a motel room in Omaha or wherever they are for a night or two and eat a hot meal than they would to embark on some grand adventure to live on the sidewalk in Los Angeles or San Francisco

Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM

569 posts, read 671,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post

Save a fortune in heating and AC costs compared to other states, and the food prices are low. .
I grew up in CA and love it. I don't want to leave and don't have to luckily. My cousin lives in Cleveland and her mortgage is over $1000/mo less than my rent. BUT, her mortgage plus utilities are more than my rent plus utilities. And she has to live in CLE which she hates. Once she retires she is coming back to CA. I went grocery shopping with her in CLE and didn't notice that food was any cheaper there.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,852 times
I've lived in California for 64 yrs. I am still here because my husband can't retire just yet. He will be 56 next month. We may move elsewhere depending on how we are feeling at the time.

Taxes are outrageous but it seems our Lefty friends like to pay taxes and vote a lot of this junk in. They love all the social programs even the ones where people are committing fraud. Go figure.

We do have it all here - beautiful scenery up along the coast - beautiful mountains , lakes, streams, deserts...yep we are blessed. The beautiful oceans...Redwoods but dog on those taxes!!

Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post

You'll get snarky "just move" comments, which are tired. God forbid anyone argue with logic though. "The weather". Just lol.
No, it is not just weather.

California is not all expensive. There are plenty of regions that have great weather but cost a fraction of the bay area.

People move there for the jobs mostly.

Additionally, deciding where to live purely based on "the best bang on the buck", that's a pretty sad and boring life. Fortunately many people have different criteria. Nevada and Arizona? sorry, I would rather live frigid and expensive Toronto than anywhere in those states. So you get a cheap and big house, and then what? painting your porch every day

Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Like most people the weather is second to none. Unless they are having fires, rains,floods, droughts, mudslides, or earthquakes. Hope I didn't leave a disaster out....

Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Builders now estimate that 25% of the price of a new home is due to the mishmash spaghetti bowl of non-value-add regulatory compliance, including regulations that are mutually exclusive and self-contradictory. This is up dramatically since 2011. If we can get the burden of non-value-add regulations reduced or eliminated, that will have an impact on the cost of living.
That is a lot of add on. But I suspect if it was eliminated the builders wouldn't drop their prices, they would sell at whatever the market bears.
If they sold their homes for $1,000,000 they wouldn't drop down to $750,000 to reflect the savings. They would still sell at $1,000,000 and keep the extra $250,000 for their additional profit if the market was still willing to pay $1,000,000.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That is a lot of add on. But I suspect if it was eliminated the builders wouldn't drop their prices, they would sell at whatever the market bears.
If they sold their homes for $1,000,000 they wouldn't drop down to $750,000 to reflect the savings. They would still sell at $1,000,000 and keep the extra $250,000 for their additional profit if the market was still willing to pay $1,000,000.
Actually they would probably drop their $1,000,000.00 homes to $900,000.00, etc., and still make more money than before and find them easier to sell.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I grew up in CA and love it. I don't want to leave and don't have to luckily. My cousin lives in Cleveland and her mortgage is over $1000/mo less than my rent. BUT, her mortgage plus utilities are more than my rent plus utilities. And she has to live in CLE which she hates. Once she retires she is coming back to CA. I went grocery shopping with her in CLE and didn't notice that food was any cheaper there.
I thought the only people who voluntarily live in Cleveland are in the Federal Witness Protection Program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California