Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM

911 posts, read 591,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Why do you claim that it's doing so well? What is the basis for this statement?
Its the nation's leading economy powerhouse?

It's the worlds 6th strongest economy?

It leads the nation in manufacturing outputs?

I don't know ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This is completely untrue. Brown's gas tax increase requires that the funds only be used on roads and nothing else.
Money is completely fungible, so your argument doesn't hold water.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
When was the last time any state did not increase taxes and fees? Frankly a dumb question.

Why does the state have so many problems if it is doing so well? Another dumb question. Where in the world do problems not exist regardless of rich or poor?
You are now dodging the question. And even your point about CA being in the 11 to 14% category indicates most States handle it better. CA is more aggressive than about 40 other States. WHY?

Why does CA increase taxes on so many things so many times virtually every year. All States will increase taxes at time, but CA does it far more often than say .. TN.

The worlds 6th largest economy seems to be having problems in handling money.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Its the nation's leading economy powerhouse?

It's the worlds 6th strongest economy?

It leads the nation in manufacturing outputs?

I don't know ...
I love that 6th largest economy in the world claim that libs like to throw out there. It ignores a lot of factors and realities.
Has the highest poverty rate in the nation.
Failing infrastructure.
We're money rich, yet we have to raise taxes yet again for (failing) infrastructure.
Continued pensions woes.
California continues to trample on the bill of rights when convenient (2nd).

Is California Really the 6th Largest Economy in the World? | RealClearMarkets

Quote:
Using the cost of living adjusted data from the International Monetary Fund and adjusting California's GDP data provides a better snapshot of California's economic standing in the world. Doing so shows that California is actually the 12th largest economy - a drop of 6 spots - and actually puts the state below Mexico.
Quote:
Between 2014 and 2015, Brazil's GDP dropped a stunning 27%, while France fell by a hefty 15% from the previous year. If instead the top 10 had experienced their 2010-2014 average annual GDP percent change, California would have remained in 8th place, coming in behind both France and Brazil.
Quote:
For instance, between 2009 and 2014, the Silicon Valley metro areas - a region that accounts for just 1/5th of the state's population - accounted for 50% of California's private industry real GDP growth. Thus, even if California's surge in the global GDP rankings can be entirely attributed to the state itself, it is actually the function of just one region within the state. This lack of economic diversification, however, is entirely missed if you just focus on the topline number.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:28 PM

911 posts, read 591,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I love that 6th largest economy in the world claim that libs like to throw out there. It ignores a lot of factors and realities.
Has the highest poverty rate in the nation.
Failing infrastructure.
We're money rich, yet we have to raise taxes yet again for (failing) infrastructure.
Continued pensions woes.
California continues to trample on the bill of rights when convenient (2nd).

Is California Really the 6th Largest Economy in the World? | RealClearMarkets
Nothing short of funny here.

The state is not responsible for who tries to live here that can't afford to. People without means and opportuunity have always relocated to solve their situations. If California could somehow - and its not clear how it could - make life affordable for more low and no income residents it would be over run in a minute worse than it is now. People would rather struggle in California than have more economic security and stability elsewhere merely speaks to the desirability of the state, not any failings.

Failing infrastructure? The entire nation has decaying infrastructure in relatively equal amounts. Read the news.

Raising taxes? Where doesn't? Besides Tennesse which doesn't serve its low income population either and has barely even fractional economy and industrial uses to compare.

Pension woes? A favorite meme here. If you study the national picture, California is roughly middle of the pack for funding / unfunded percentages of debt ratio.

2nd amendment trample? You assume your love of guns issue has been settled by the highest courts. And ignored by California. It hasnt.

Your quotes are even funnier. The state has the world's 6th most robust economy. Period. The measure against COL is a separate metric. The argument there is found in the statement above about the poverty level being somewhat of a choice to stay or leave.

Next quote points out what if other economies hadn't fallen? What ifs are stupid. The level is what it is relative to - well - reality.

Third quote continues the hilarity. Every state and nation in the world has pockets of success and areas of less success and areas downright stagnant. So what? The issue being considered is is the aggregate of the whole state. Not pieces.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Money is completely fungible, so your argument doesn't hold water.
That doesn't mean what you seem to think it does. Fungible means one coin or piece paper currency is the exactly the same as and can be replaced by another. That does not mean that budgeted funds can be spent on something other than the purpose that was either intended or legislated.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
My guess is that they sell these measures under the banner that it will benefit the state and residents think that it's the small price to pay to live in the best state in the country. ?
I don't agree that California is the best state to live in the nation. I hate that we are being raped by the state on taxes, vehicle fees, etc.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I don't agree that California is the best state to live in the nation. I hate that we are being raped by the state on taxes, vehicle fees, etc.
Well, if I lived in Yucaipa I would be mad about having to pay one penny in taxes, in fact they would have to pay me to live there

Old 04-04-2017, 05:37 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,302,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
What is best is subjective. A lot of people think Texas is the best state, but I find it relatively hot, boring, and generic. But, it works for some people.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well, if I lived in Yucaipa I would be mad about having to pay one penny in taxes, in fact they would have to pay me to live there
Why is that ? I know its not the greatest city to live in but I have been here for over 18 years. I would like to move out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California