Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 AM

911 posts, read 591,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Humm, They do tax a LOT of things some other States do not, but yes people are people. I do see taxes raising in CA each year on different things, more than in other States. Like the ones we are talking about now.
like what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Why choose to be complacent? Let's vote these known crooks out.
Acknowledging common behavioral reality in itself does not equal complacency. The challenge lies in responding in calm mature fashion ... as contrasted to whining and foot stomping tantrums.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
like what?
Gas, Cigarettes, Car Registration, Sales taxes (Note varies by County, not a total State issue), Income tax, Hotel room taxes, Internet taxes, phone taxes (Surcharges/fees which are still a tax) and more as noted on these threads. Now do some States do some of those, yes, but rarely does another State do as many or as much as CA.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Gas, Cigarettes, Car Registration, Sales taxes (Note varies by County, not a total State issue), Income tax, Hotel room taxes, Internet taxes, phone taxes (Surcharges/fees which are still a tax) and more as noted on these threads. Now do some States do some of those, yes, but rarely does another State do as many or as much as CA.
Pretty much all states tax all those things ... except for a few that don't have state income tax and make up for it with higher taxes on other things. You are generalizing without data.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 AM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
I have a house in a brush area and starting a few years ago I have to pay a tax of $117 per year for fire prevention. Thats on top of already paying for fire fighting with my regular property tax. Man I hate the government in California.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
I did read a comparison and California does utilize just about every means to implement taxes.

It is also an "Island" in the West as Washington, Nevada and Arizona have no personal income tax and Oregon has no state sales tax.

I truly believe the new proposed fees for roads are simply a mechanism to free up money for general budget use...

People will pay for roads but they may not be as inclined to pay for a bullet train...

Old 04-03-2017, 11:10 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,186,254 times
Quote:
Pretty much all states tax all those things ... except for a few that don't have state income tax and make up for it with higher taxes on other things. You are generalizing without data.
If your so happy with our govt and taxes why do you want Ca to secede from the USA??

Old 04-03-2017, 11:12 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times
Quote:
Acknowledging common behavioral reality in itself does not equal complacency. The challenge lies in responding in calm mature fashion ... as contrasted to whining and foot stomping tantrums.
Exactly, so now that we agree, let's vote these crooks out.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 AM

280 posts, read 250,528 times
I'll preface this with i think CA is terrible when it comes to taxes and overall policy. I've contemplated moving several times but can't pull the trigger for family reasons.

In regards to the tax:
Do people realize that the effective gas tax has gone down as cars have become more fuel efficient? Even worse with electric vehicles where they pay no gas tax which is intended to pay for the roads that they drive on. Again, I am very much against taxes but a gas tax to pay for roads is not the worst one.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
I'll preface this with i think CA is terrible when it comes to taxes and overall policy. I've contemplated moving several times but can't pull the trigger for family reasons.

In regards to the tax:
Do people realize that the effective gas tax has gone down as cars have become more fuel efficient? Even worse with electric vehicles where they pay no gas tax which is intended to pay for the roads that they drive on. Again, I am very much against taxes but a gas tax to pay for roads is not the worst one.
This is true. However CA has been taking the tax money for such, that goes in the General fund and spending it on other things. If they stopped that, no increase would be needed. World's 6th largest economy, most populous State and they can't handle their money right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California