Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
I home school my kids and I let them do whatever they want. My philosophy is: they should decide what school is to them. For example when they are watching the "Simple Life" and other reality shows, it teaches them about reality.

They see commercials and that teaches them about advertising. Yah know, I teach them lots of stuff, like how to microwave a perfect bean burrito. Those things will be important in the future.
That was pretty funny stuff and unfortunatley not that far off from what kids now learn in public school along with all the political correctness injected into the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessings11 View Post
What happens if the public school child doesn't pass the test? Do they send him home? No.... they wait until he's at least 1-3 years behind his peers, has been subjected to teasing, his self esteem is destroyed and his hatred for learning is only second to his hatred for school. Then they write him an IEP so that they can get extra money for his education. Money that doesn't translate to extra help for that particular child nor his learning problem.

California public schools haven't made the grade in years. They fall below the "norm" in this nation. So maybe we should send all the kids home.
Since you brought up the IEP issue I'll add to that. My daughter had had an IEP in CA since entering school. Here GPA 2 months into her junior year in HS in CA was 3.25. She passed the CA exit exam with flying colors.

We now live in TX and she is struggling with the TX TAKS exam. She has an ARD in TX which is the equivalent of an IEP, she is doing okay academically. The counselors are working with her regularly to get her up to speed in TX but she is having a some problems. Hopefully she will get through it and be able to graduate on time. My point is that she is doing the same level work in TX that she was in CA but not getting the same results. Her high school in CA has an 9 out of 10 ranking and her high school in TX has a 8 out of 10 ranking.

Does this say something about education in CA? Absolutely!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Since you brought up the IEP issue I'll add to that. My daughter had had an IEP in CA since entering school. Here GPA 2 months into her junior year in HS in CA was 3.25. She passed the CA exit exam with flying colors.

We now live in TX and she is struggling with the TX TAKS exam. She has an ARD in TX which is the equivalent of an IEP, she is doing okay academically. The counselors are working with her regularly to get her up to speed in TX but she is having a some problems. Hopefully she will get through it and be able to graduate on time. My point is that she is doing the same level work in TX that she was in CA but not getting the same results. Her high school in CA has an 9 out of 10 ranking and her high school in TX has a 8 out of 10 ranking.

My experience was the same, but in reverse. I spent 3+ years in an excellent Texas high school. Then we moved to California during my senior year. My GPA shot up from a 3.2 to 3.7 and I stopped taking books home. In Texas I was working hard for the 3.2. In California it so much easier that I thought it was funny.

I have rarely met a high school senior in California that HAD to take a full load of classes to graduate. In Texas there was really no way to graduate early because you had to have 4 years of English and other classes.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
My experience was the same, but in reverse. I spent 3+ years in an excellent Texas high school. Then we moved to California during my senior year. My GPA shot up from a 3.2 to 3.7 and I stopped taking books home. In Texas I was working hard for the 3.2. In California it so much easier that I thought it was funny.

I have rarely met a high school senior in California that HAD to take a full load of classes to graduate. In Texas there was really no way to graduate early because you had to have 4 years of English and other classes.
I know what you are saying about the reverse, I have friends that said the same. I as a parent like the fact that TX is harder in your senior year. In CA my older kids pretty much just filled time in their senior year. Both could have graduated first semester if they wanted to. They took summer school classes and only needed a few credits their senior year.

It has just became harder to graduate in TX. They now require 4 years of math and science starting 2007-2008. Good for them!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
Can anyone tell me, outside of this law, is there anything to determine how much/well home schooled children are taught? Are there standards that they must meet?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Can anyone tell me, outside of this law, is there anything to determine how much/well home schooled children are taught? Are there standards that they must meet?
Here is a link to a site that gives summaries of the laws regarding home schools in each of the states. I was unable to find any standards for CA, but what I did find is that some states i.e. Alaska have addressed the issue by requiring testing for home-schools. I wonder why CA does not approach their problem in a similar fashion. Could it be because it is all about the $$$ and not education?

HSLDA | Home School Laws

Old 03-15-2008, 12:59 AM

30 posts, read 97,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
I home school my kids and I let them do whatever they want. My philosophy is: they should decide what school is to them. For example when they are watching the "Simple Life" and other reality shows, it teaches them about reality.

They see commercials and that teaches them about advertising. Yah know, I teach them lots of stuff, like how to microwave a perfect bean burrito. Those things will be important in the future.
Yah, and I sent my kids to public schools.

My middle-school son had a sexual affair with his young, "hot" married teacher. My daughter was molested by her p.e. teacher. My other daughter was shot and killed by a school shooter. My other son brought home piles and piles of busywork he had to do everyday, and he was so bored, he dropped out his junior year. My other daughter took up drugs because all her school friends were "doing it." My other son felt neglected because the teacher had five very unruly students who took all her time and energy. And lastly, my youngest daughter began to have panic attacks brought on by lock-down drills, gangbangers harrassing her in the hallways, and the teacher who embarrassed her in front of the class.

(None of this is actually true for me... but I'm sure it is for some parents.)

Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Default so i will say it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I didn't think it was necessary to rehash the entire previous, lengthy discussion but, since you apparently missed several parts of it ...

Obviously the courts are trying to enforce the credentialing requirement where, for all practical purposes, parents haven't been meeting basic education requirements in order to home school their kids.

Is that clear enough for you now? Or do I need to explain it further?

sorry to say it is very clear , You don't get it , it's about money that they are loosing for each child that is not in a PUBLIC SCHOOL!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM

493 posts, read 636,960 times
Quote:

Where in California did you come from?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
That was pretty funny stuff and unfortunatley not that far off from what kids now learn in public school along with all the political correctness injected into the day.

Oh, stop. It's one thing to homeschool your children and not be attacked for doing so. It's another thing to put down ALL public schooling and label it as bad. There are millions of children that are doing just fine with good parents, good teachers, and good kids. I'm so sick of the militant faction of homeshoolers that have no respect for anyone else, but demand the utmost of respect from everyone else. Believe me, this subject has been debated to death. No one is questioning your "right" to homeschool. And by the way, this CA ruling is not even standing up, so I don't even know what your beef is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California