Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

And now the CSUs are getting rid of at the intermediate algebra prerequisite requirement for general ed math courses.

Under the new policy, which goes into effect next fall, students will be able to complete Cal State’s general math/quantitative reasoning requirement without intermediate algebra by enrolling in courses such as personal finance, game theory, statistics and computer science.

Are you a Cal State student? Here are some math requirement changes that might help you graduate sooner - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:19 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And now the CSUs are getting rid of at the intermediate algebra prerequisite requirement for general ed math courses.

Under the new policy, which goes into effect next fall, students will be able to complete Cal State’s general math/quantitative reasoning requirement without intermediate algebra by enrolling in courses such as personal finance, game theory, statistics and computer science.

Are you a Cal State student? Here are some math requirement changes that might help you graduate sooner - LA Times
A lot of colleges don't have any serious math or quantitative reasoning requirements. So, the fact that the Cal States even have one sets them head and shoulders above many.

By the way, the new Cal State system quant requirement is not all that different from Harvard's quantitative requirement; Harvard undergrads can also satisfy it by taking statistics, computer science, or another course deemed "quantitative" or applied math (i.e., game theory).

This is purely ancedotal, of course, but I've taken an intro statistics course at a Cal State. It was one of the hardest courses I've ever taken, and the only time I ever had to hire a tutor to get through a class. But then, I'm not a math wiz; I went to one of those colleges that didn't have any quantitative reasoning requirements.

In all seriousness, I do agree with you that the Cal State system seems to be loosening the curriculum somewhat in order to push more students through. But, frankly, that's what a lot of students (and parents) are increasingly demanding: to get a degree as quickly (and cheaply) as possible.

The question for colleges is, do you give your "customers" what they want or insist that they get an actual rigorous education? That question is being wrangled with at many colleges and universities these days, not just the Cal States.

That's what happens when higher education stops being about becoming a thinking educated person and becomes mainly about career prep.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-26-2017 at 01:44 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 PM

"It’s unclear whether high school grades in California are as meaningful as those in other states. Among the 14% of Cal States students who have had to take remedial courses in both English and math, the average high school GPA was 3.2, or a B-plus. That’s supposed to mean a very good grasp of course material, but perhaps it’s a better indicator of grade inflation..."

How to boost Cal State graduation rates without cheapening the degree - LA Times

Old 09-18-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"It’s unclear whether high school grades in California are as meaningful as those in other states. Among the 14% of Cal States students who have had to take remedial courses in both English and math, the average high school GPA was 3.2, or a B-plus. That’s supposed to mean a very good grasp of course material, but perhaps it’s a better indicator of grade inflation..."

How to boost Cal State graduation rates without cheapening the degree - LA Times
Interesting article, CA4Now. Thanks for posting it.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

I went to one of those colleges that didn't have any quantitative reasoning requirements.
It's really sad that colleges exist that do not have these type of requirements. Quantitative reasoning is the basis of Micro/Macro economics.

Maybe this explains how Bernie Sanders became so popular with the youth.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It's really sad that colleges exist that do not have these type of requirements. Quantitative reasoning is the basis of Micro/Macro economics.
If you're referring to the Cal States, they actually DO have a quantitative reasoning requirement for graduation as part of their general education requirement. That requirement isn't changing.

The only change is that some students will now be able to satisfy the quantitative reasoning requirement without taking Algebra first.

By the way, that's similar to how Harvard's and Stanford's (among other schools) quantitative reasoning requirements are also set up.

By the way, the University of California system also has a quantitative requirement for graduation.

So, I guess you'll have to find another reason to bash all those young Bernie supporters in California.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-19-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I do agree with you that the Cal State system seems to be loosening the curriculum somewhat in order to push more students through. But, frankly, that's what a lot of students (and parents) are increasingly demanding: to get a degree as quickly (and cheaply) as possible.

The question for colleges is, do you give your "customers" what they want or insist that they get an actual rigorous education? That question is being wrangled with at many colleges and universities these days, not just the Cal States.

That's what happens when higher education stops being about becoming a thinking educated person and becomes mainly about career prep.
This is so true.

"Cal State faculty spoke out Tuesday about what they called “hasty” recent decisions to drop remedial classes and loosen math requirements by next fall.

In a resolution by the university system’s Academic Senate, faculty members said they hadn’t been given enough time to weigh in on what could be “rushed and poorly designed implementation” and should be given at least another year to prepare."

Cal State faculty take a stand against 'hasty' plans to loosen course requirements - LA Times

Old 09-20-2017, 01:00 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
although I passed my algebras with flying colors, its also good to ask do we really need these in our day to day lives or in our work? some professions need it but most don't have applications at all. id rather master excel or access than learning algebra If I were a college student and if given a choice

does a lawyer need it? a doctor? accountant? a chemist?

of course those working at NASA should be good at it

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 09-20-2017 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
id rather master excel or access than learning algebra...does a lawyer need it? a doctor? accountant? a chemist?
Learning algebra strengthens a person's reasoning skills. People use math every day; they just may not realize it.
10 Ways Simultaneous Equations Can Be Used in Everyday Life | Sciencing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California