Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The fact that an outbreak occurred in San Diego doesn’t make San Diego or California unique ... as you say, these outbreaks are quite rare. If they weren’t rare, and/or if California was uniquely at risk, they would happen with frequency in San Francisco, L.A. and repeatedly in San Diego. They don’t.
Please explain how a "quite rare" event that happens in San Diego due to homeless people running rampant and using the bathroom all over the streets does not make San Diego or California unique. It happened in San Diego. It did not happen in Texas.

In my view, the outbreak is strictly a California problem caused by failed policies enacted by politicians that allowed the conditions to get to the point where something like this could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I have worked with veterans at risk with homelessness, substance abuse problems, PTSD, suicide counseling, and VA health care enrollment for over 25 years. You are barking in my yard, so to speak. I know this topic in very great detail. Happy to educate.
Please do.

What has the state of California done? From my view it hasn't got any better compared to 8 years ago.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
So because it's a problem elsewhere it's ok?

It's a problem in California. A major problem. It got so bad at my office in San Diego that we couldn't even go outside and walk around because they took up the entire sidewalk. And they were there for the entire 4.5 years I was there. The Anaheim riverbed looked like a 3rd world country when I used to go to Angeles games. They cleared thousands of pounds of human waste and 14,000 plus needles.

A hepatitis A outbreak happened in San Diego that was one of the nation's largest in decades. I don't think large scale hep A outbreaks are a common occurrence. BTW, if you don't know, Hep A is caused from human's coming in contact with fecal matter and living like a farm animal.

And no, mass Hep A outbreaks and 14K needles spread all over the place does not happen everywhere like you claim.
Well, I hate to destroy your theory but there have been Hep A in several states this year, the worst were in Kentucky and Michigan

https://www.hepmag.com/iframe/hepatitis-a-outbreak-map

Old 11-06-2018, 05:04 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Please explain how a "quite rare" event that happens in San Diego due to homeless people running rampant and using the bathroom all over the streets does not make San Diego or California unique. It happened in San Diego. It did not happen in Texas.

In my view, the outbreak is strictly a California problem caused by failed policies enacted by politicians that allowed the conditions to get to the point where something like this could happen.
Ok ... San Diego. 567 cases.
Then there are 899 cases in southern Michigan ... in an outbreak ongoing since 2016
91 cases in Utah ...
51 in NYC.

Quote:
The epidemiology of hepatitis A virus (HAV) disease has changed. Since July 2016, there have been 5 large outbreaks of infection involving more than 1600 cases,1 with affected states requiring assistance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Two of these outbreaks were foodborne, and 3 involved person-to-person transmission.1

Before 2016, the number of outbreaks had been very low, and were predominantly associated with contaminated food, infected food handlers, and other food service-related exposures. Total annual cases of HAV infection had been declining steadily in all age groups since 1995 when HAV vaccine became available, from an estimated 271,000 cases resulting in 100 deaths2 to an estimated 2800 cases (with 1390 reported) resulting in 67 deaths in 2015 (FIGURE).3

Rates of hepatitis A infection have declined steadily in all age groups image
Extent of the outbreaks

The largest hepatitis A outbreak involving person-to-person transmission in the United States in the past 20 years is occurring now in California. Predominantly affected are the homeless and users of illicit drugs, whose risk of infection is compounded by exposure to fecally-contaminated environments. As of December 1, the largest number of cases were recorded in San Diego (567), Santa Cruz (76), and Los Angeles (11).4 Adding 18 cases from other locations, the total has reached 672, resulting in 430 hospitalizations (64%) and 21 deaths (3%).4 In San Diego, 20% of those infected also had chronic hepatitis C and 5% had chronic hepatitis B.1

In southeastern Michigan, 555 cases have been reported, with 457 hospitalizations (82%) and 20 deaths (4%).5 In Utah, 91 cases and 53 hospitalizations (58%) have been documented.6 In these regions, the predominant risk factors have been homelessness and illicit drug use. And many of those infected have had chronic hepatitis C (27.5%), hepatitis B (13.2%), or both (9.9%).6 In 2 of the 3 states just described, the outbreaks have involved HAV genotype 1B.1

In New York City, an outbreak starting in January 2017 resulted in 51 cases. The epidemiology of this outbreak has been different from the others, involving men who have sex with men (MSM) and the HAV genotype 1A that matches a strain circulating among MSM in Europe.7
https://www.mdedge.com/jfponline/art...itis-outbreaks
Quote:
Michigan Hepatitis A Outbreak
Woman receiving vaccinationPublic health officials and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) are continuing to see an elevated number of hepatitis A cases in the state.

Since the beginning of the outbreak in August 2016, public health response has included increased healthcare awareness efforts, public notification and education, and outreach with vaccination clinics for high-risk populations.No common sources of food, beverages, or drugs have been identified as a potential source of infection. Transmission appears to be through direct person-to-person spread and illicit drug use. Those with history of injection and non-injection drug use, homelessness or transient housing, and incarceration are thought to be at greater risk in this outbreak setting. Notably, this outbreak has had a high hospitalization rate.

Michigan Hepatitis A Outbreak Cases and Deaths as of October 31, 2018*
*Table will be updated weekly by 4:00pm each Friday

Cases - 899

Hospitalizations - 722 (80.3%)

Deaths - 28 (3.1%)

Please note: Table does not include all reported hepatitis A cases in the outbreak region; only those cases that are identified as outbreak-related. More descriptive data on the current outbreak can be found within the Comprehensive Summary. Data are provisional and subject to change.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,588...7907--,00.html
I can supply more examples of large and small outbreaks in various cities around the nation and world, other than California. I know my topic, sir.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Please do.

What has the state of California done? From my view it hasn't got any better compared to 8 years ago.
Pyramid, if city, county, and state epidimeologists at various health depatments weren’t johnny -on-the-spot doing remediation ... the outbreaks would be exponential by now.

As I keep saying, the problems are terrible, huge, and getting worse ... everywhere.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Pyramid, if city, county, and state epidimeologists at various health depatments weren’t johnny -on-the-spot doing remediation ... the outbreaks would be exponential by now.

As I keep saying, the problems are terrible, huge, and getting worse ... everywhere.
Not surprised. More of the same.

Problems everywhere but no addressing what California has done.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well, I hate to destroy your theory but there have been Hep A in several states this year, the worst were in Kentucky and Michigan

https://www.hepmag.com/iframe/hepatitis-a-outbreak-map
Quote:
Ok ... San Diego. 567 cases.
Then there are 899 cases in southern Michigan ... in an outbreak ongoing since 2016
91 cases in Utah ...
51 in NYC.

I can supply more examples of large and small outbreaks in various cities around the nation and world, other than California. I know my topic, sir.
Hep A in several states is not the same as an outbreak of Hep A in San Diego that health officials called an “unprecedented” health crisis where 20 homeless people died.

Yes, Hep A occurs everywhere. But, 20 homeless dying is not a regular occurrence and saying it's normal is ridiculous.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:35 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
So because it's a problem elsewhere it's ok?

It's a problem in California. A major problem.
So how will Cox fix it?

Cox is assailing Newsom over homelessness and the escalating cost of living in the nation's largest state.

"Politicians have punted these issues away from their Chardonnay parties for too long. In the real world we have to find real solutions," Cox said in a statement provided to The Sacramento Bee.

But when asked for details on his ideas to solve the problem, Cox declined to discuss his ideas or respond to questions provided to his campaign. In a brief conversation with reporters Monday, the San Diego businessman said this: "We've got to solve the problem. We've got to build houses, but we've got to build houses inexpensively." Cox was speaking after a press conference pushing for repeal of California's gas tax increase. "Cut regulation, red tape."

But we don't see his plans.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

Old 11-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Hep A in several states is not the same as an outbreak of Hep A in San Diego that health officials called an “unprecedented” health crisis where 20 homeless people died.

Yes, Hep A occurs everywhere. But, 20 homeless dying is not a regular occurrence and saying it's normal is ridiculous.
Scroll back and actually read the quoted sources ... go to the links ... here is a clip, again ... note deaths in bold ... note this outbreak is still ongoing ... 899 cases (over 300 more than San Diego’s) in Michigan.
Quote:
Michigan Hepatitis A Outbreak Cases and Deaths as of October 31, 2018*
*Table will be updated weekly by 4:00pm each Friday

Cases - 899

Hospitalizations - 722 (80.3%)

Deaths - 28 (3.1%)

Please note: Table does not include all reported hepatitis A cases in the outbreak region; only those cases that are identified as outbreak-related. More descriptive data on the current outbreak can be found within the Comprehensive Summary. Data are provisional and subject to change.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,588...7907--,00.html

Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Not surprised. More of the same.

Problems everywhere but no addressing what California has done.
You can’t look stuff up yourself? Or just because you don’t actually want answers?
Quote:
Hepatitis A Outbreak in San Diego County is Officially Over
The County has announced that the hepatitis A outbreak which resulted in 592 cases and 20 deaths has officially ended.
The conclusion is based on the fact that it has been 100 days since the onset of illness of the last outbreak-associated case, which is two incubation cycles for hepatitis A. Two incubation cycles with no new outbreak-related cases is generally considered sufficient time to declare the outbreak over.
San Diego County officials identified the outbreak in March 2017, and were able to later trace some cases back to November 2016. The County declared a local health emergency on September 1, 2017, which ended on January 23, 2018.
Vaccination events started in March 2017 and remain ongoing in order to prevent another outbreak. Through October 3, 2018, more than 203,850 hepatitis A vaccines have been given in response to the outbreak through healthcare providers and County vaccination events. Although one shot is enough to contain the outbreak, the County continues to work with partner organizations to identify and offer vaccinations for all recommended groups.
The response to the outbreak featured a number of new or untried strategies, such as sending ‘foot-teams’ of nurses with homeless outreach workers and law enforcement to give vaccinations to at-risk individuals where they were residing. The County worked with cities and provided sanitation protocols to clean areas frequently used by homeless, and deployed handwashing stations in public areas.
Although the outbreak is over, County health officials anticipate travel-related hepatitis A cases to be reported. Typically, 2-3 cases are reported each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California