Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What change? That's Gov Brown ordering the audits on the DMV, not Cox. We don't need people like Cox who inserts his foot in his mouth.

California Republican gubernatorial candidate John Cox was recorded comparing long wait times at the Department of Motor Vehicles to the Holocaust.

"You know, I met a Holocaust survivor in Long Beach. He survived concentration camps, and he said this was worse," Cox said in the recording released by Capital Public Radio. "He's 90 years old, and he had to wait four hours down in Long Beach. Can you imagine that?"

https://abc7.com/politics/ca-governo...aust-/3986435/
Brown did it because Cox put pressure on the issue .

So he repeated something a Holocaust survivor said , and yes I’ve heard that story already .

At least he’s talking to the people , unlike Newsom .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

At least he’s talking to the people , unlike Newsom .

He doesn't have to. He doesn't, really, have to do much of anything.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Newscum has this thing locked up. He is absolutely certainly, 100%, beyond any scintilla of doubt, assured of winning.

He WILL be the next Governor. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 PM

914 posts, read 643,783 times
I've been a democrat and have even referred to myself, ignorantly, as a "progressive lib" for at least most of my voting life. Today for the first time ever I'm actually voting for Cox. Gavin's attitude when he did not show up for two local debates hosted by immigrants and other ethnicities made me think he didn't really care or maybe he's overly confident. Regardless, this year for the fist time I shall vote republican. I don't like the way Jerry Brown signs new taxes into law without asking us first. I am afraid Gavin will continue Brown's lead.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

Strangely enough it seems the only republicans with a backbone these days are coming out of AZ (McCain, Flake and McSally.) Being conservative (or liberal) should not mean you stop having independent thoughts and just bow down to the rhetoric of an egomaniac president.
Agreed 100%. I'm a very moderate democrat, and I like Flake for the most part, and liked McCain for the most part, too. And as I said, I actually voted to oust Gray Davis and I voted for Schwartzenegger.

So, it's not inconceivable that a Republican could be voted into power, but that Republican needs to understand the state population.

For example, I have no problem with immigrants, but I did have a problem with the idea of giving illegal aliens legal state driver's licenses back when we voted Gray Davis out, and Schwartzenneger in. Schwartzenneger was the only candidate willing to go on record that he thought this was a bad idea. And this was right after the 9-11 attack on the World Trade towers, etc. People were really afraid of terrorists coming into CA, because they could easily obtain a legal state ID, and then simply use that to move to other states, etc. It was a really big and scary thing.

I was afraid of this at the time, as a moderate Democrat, and voted for Schwartzenneger mostly because he wasn't afraid to say that it was nuts to give illegal aliens valid state identifications.

So, even though I'm very pro legal immigration, and I'm also pro treating refugees well, and those asking for asylum, etc. - it doesn't mean I want just anyone who is illegal to be able to get a legal state identification, etc.

And the only thing that I or others could figure out as far as why Gray Davis though this was a great idea, is that the huge insurance industry would benefit, and they probably were contributors to his campaign. Because in CA, all drivers MUST be covered by a minimum of liability insurance. So, if you give a bunch of illegal aliens driver's licenses, and their licenses are only valid as long as they can prove they carry liability insurance per a minimum mandated by state law - then all of a sudden, you have a whole lot more money going to insurance companies.

it was the only thing that really made sense, regardless of how they tried to spin it.

But, my bottom line point is that if a Republican has a reasonable agenda in CA, it's not impossible for them to get elected. But, Cox's attempt to get voted into office by saying he'll do anything Trump wants him to do - won't work here.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:39 AM

26,742 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I did have a problem with the idea of giving illegal aliens legal state driver's licenses back when we voted Gray Davis out...

And the only thing that I or others could figure out as far as why Gray Davis though this was a great idea, is that the huge insurance industry would benefit, and they probably were contributors to his campaign.
He thought it was a good idea because illegal immigrants could more easily get to work. And yes, he did want the Latino vote.

Gray Davis And The Undocumented / California's favorite scapegoats driving the recall: https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...-s-2558202.php

Old 09-25-2018, 07:04 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Quote:
He thought it was a good idea because illegal immigrants could more easily get to work. And yes, he did want the Latino vote.

Gray Davis And The Undocumented / California's favorite scapegoats driving the recall: https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...-s-2558202.php
Well that's backwards as ****, we shouldn't make it easier for illegals to do anything but return to their home country.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
we shouldn't make it easier for illegals to do anything but return to their home country.
Ain't gonna happen.

Careful What You Wish For: Here’s What California Would Look Like Without Illegal Immigrants:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/carefu...gal-immigrants

Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Quote:
Well that's backwards as ****, we shouldn't make it easier for illegals to do anything but return to their home country.
Quote:
Ain't gonna happen.]
Cracking down on illegal activity "ain't gonna happen"? What a sad thing to say. It's already happening, as it is illegal and law enforcement exists, sorry to break it to you.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Cracking down on illegal activity "ain't gonna happen"? What a sad thing to say.
Nothing "sad" about stating a fact. Open your eyes.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illegal...workers-taxes/

Old 09-25-2018, 12:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Until 1993 illegal immigrants could get a driver's license anywhere in the US, California was the first state to require proof of citizenship and all other states followed. In 2015 California became the 10th state to issue licenses to illegals. The law was supported by CHP and several law enforcement groups.

Quote:
Proponents of the new law included law enforcement groups such as the California Police Chiefs Association. Whether people are in California legally or not, the group argued, they still need to drive to work and school. Requiring undocumented immigrants already on the road to pass a driving test and obtain insurance would bolster public safety. “It has nothing to do with if they’re in the country legally or illegally,” said Julie Powell, a spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol. “Our main concern is that the people of California are safe, and one way to assist in accomplishing that mission is to make sure California drivers are tested, trained and insured.” https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy
Quote:
A Stanford study concluded that the rate of hit-and-run accidents decreased significantly after AB 60 was
implemented, with the largest drops in hit-and-runs in counties with higher numbers of undocumented immigrants https://www.library.ca.gov/Content/p...eport_2018.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California