Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times

Advertisements

I already have my eye on a few houses in the La Jolla Shores neighborhood and the Windansea area of La Jolla. If I win the lotto and some how the owners of those houses decide to sell then I'm in.... I think this weekend I'm gonna go to the beach and drool over them again.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,621,468 times
Great responses

It seems I am in sync with others:

Lake Tahoe [probably many weeks in winter but also summer - one of California's jewels

Palm Springs [when not in Tahoe there is nothing more balmy than the Coachella Valley - sunny warm winter days - and yet only 1 hr flight from the Sierra.

San Francisco [always have a house in "The City" - California's home town for everyone in the world

Lake Shasta [remember childhood summers of fishing & swimming in the warm clean lake w/ brown bears going thru garbage & endless days of warm, well hot days & balmy nights

Santa Barbara [California’s Rivera - great place anytime of the year but especially during summer at the "Old Spanish Days Fiesta"

Carmel or Monterey [surprisingly mild during winter & cool enchantment year-round

La Jolla [elegant relaxing - great snorkeling

Yosemite [mainly during autum to spring - summers unforunately are a bit crowded

Laguna Beach [perfect yr round - great memories of morning swims in warm Pacific waters

Santa Cruz [bohemia central - best old roller coastal in California

There are, of-course many more since California has incredible beauty through out the state

Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 AM

21 posts, read 69,183 times
Thumbs up Begin with a list of your 'housing' needs

California has many great spots to live in. But to make a choice I think you need to first list what your needs are. Grocery stores you want to shop at, medical facilities nearby, recreational needs, entertainment needs, etc.

Once you narrow that down you can begin to surf the internet checking out various locations until you find the place that fits your needs.

I like to shop at the Grocery Outlet because the prices are low as opposed to Ralphs which is much higher. I like to be near my doctors, dentist, etc. I like to be near the beach and art galleries. I like to be near the colleges. Etc, etc.

Northern california has beautiful mountains with small mountain towns. San Francisco has great restaurants and sight seeing spots. Buses and rail system is great. Trouble if your driving though. northern california can be artsy. has many behind-the-scenes artistic people - directors, producers, writers, etc.

Southern california has great beaches and tons of healthy outdoor activities. Has excellent doctors. Lots of gorgeous art galleries. Lots of theaters - both live performance theaters and movie theaters. A creative atmosphere abounds in southern california. many movie stars in l.a. and in orange county.

Both have good colleges to choose from. Etc, etc.

Begin with a list of your needs.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 AM

56 posts, read 222,596 times
Santa Monica. I love mid-century modern architecture and the cool vibe.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,297,471 times
Carmel or Pebble Beach.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM

18 posts, read 96,240 times
Marin County

Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM

18 posts, read 96,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtomontana View Post
By the fact that you have SD in parenthesis, I assume you mean Southern Cali. Honestly living in SoCal my whole life (26yrs), I would not chose it. Central and Northern Cal are fare more beautiful country the the irrigated desert that we cal SoCal.
I completely agree. People often don't realize that it's a desert here !

Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 AM

24,515 posts, read 33,352,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama View Post
I completely agree. People often don't realize that it's a desert here !
It's only a desert in the desert. Malibu, Palos Verdes, Thousand Oaks, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Santa Barbara, etc are not deserts.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,297,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama View Post
Marin County
Yeah ... that would work for me too.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM

54 posts, read 210,529 times
Big Sur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California