Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times

Advertisements

CA has the most densely populated urban areas in the country one contium is urban areas are much more democratic even the suburbs here are dense, and I figure that has a lot to do with it. Texas has a much larger rural population, and Florida has a huge retiree population. CA essentially has 6 metros at over 2 million winch account for the vast majority of the state.

Florida, and Texas arent as red as they seem Florida is basically 50-50 Obama won the state twice, and in this past midterm 47% of Texans voted democrat, but they only received 13/36 seats gerrymandering to the fullest. Texas, and CA have very similar latino populations, but Florida's Latino population is very diverse Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Venezuelans, Columbians, and Nicaraguans.

I assume the rhetoric in washington from the GOP does not stand up well even in GOP strongholds in California

Old 11-26-2018, 06:52 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Because working people are fleeing the state while welfare cases pour in.
There is no evidence of that, people earning less than $50,000 are leaving the state and people who earn more than $200,000 are moving in. California would be an awful choice for a welfare family, $600 cash for a family of 3 but nothing to rent for even close to that and 11-15 year waits for section 8 vouchers.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
The demographics of the state changed. It went from hard working people that prided themselves on personal responsibility and achievement, to people that cry it's not fair, and what can I get for free.

The sad reality for them is, there's no such thing as free, somebody has to pay for it.

The scary thing is, they're so resentful of successful people that instead of raising everybody's standard of living, they're ok with everybody's going down, as long as it's all the same, and they don't have to work for it.
I sure don't see that, where are all these people in California looking for 'free stuff'? The answer to why the Republican party has virtually disappeared in California isn't a matter of rich vs poor, the problem is that the Republican party lost its way, especially when they failed to separate themselves from Trump. Californian's are well aware that Trump is the guy who has promised to drill for oil off of our beaches, punish sanctuary cities, dictate our water policy and changed the tax code in ways that can only be construed as a direct hit on California. Here's what San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer, a Republican, has to say about it:

Quote:
San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer jokes about the party’s sorrowful state: “Folks can go to the San Diego Zoo to see the endangered pandas and then visit San Diego City Hall to see one of the last California Republicans.” Turning serious, he suggested that the way forward for the state GOP is an utter transformation into a party focused on practicality and problem-solving, shedding its anti-immigrant rhetoric, recognizing climate change as a serious threat and defining the Republican Party as something other than a rubber stamp for Trump. https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...116-story.html

Old 11-26-2018, 07:14 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Coastal, Metro population centers. Happening everywhere. Large metros are controlling entire states due to their concentration of population, and Progressive views. CA is just a very large example.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:27 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There is no evidence of that, people earning less than $50,000 are leaving the state and people who earn more than $200,000 are moving in. California would be an awful choice for a welfare family, $600 cash for a family of 3 but nothing to rent for even close to that and 11-15 year waits for section 8 vouchers.
I think you have those numbers backwards. High earners are leaving the state, and being replaced by low earners.

I know four Republican families that moved out of the state because of our laws, taxes, school over crowding...

Old 11-26-2018, 07:30 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
If the Republicans would go back to their traditional stance of being the party of fiscal responsibility and smaller government, they'd get more traction in diverse, non-gerrymandered states like CA. Instead, what the Republicans are peddling as their current party platform is a combination of scary assaults on the civil rights of anyone who's not a straight white Christian male, unraveling even the minimum social safety net we have in this country (started with the ACA and are now working on dismantling the Great Society and New Deal programs), removing even modest environmental protections -- including pretending, ostrich-like, that global warming doesn't exist while CA goes up in smoke, and enriching the already fabulously wealthy with more tax advantages while the above-mentioned goal of fiscal responsibility get kicked to the curb. And don't get me started on the crazy and disruptive international maneuvers.

So gosh, what's not to love?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I think you have those numbers backwards. High earners are leaving the state, and being replaced by low earners.

I know four Republican families that moved out of the state because of our laws, taxes, school over crowding...
No, I do not have it backwards.

Quote:
People making $55,000 or less a year were mostly moving out of California between 2007 and 2016, the report found, while people making more than $200,000 a year moved in. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Old 11-26-2018, 07:38 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:

Anecdotal evidence is so cute

The data show that the trend line on California’s household income is moving in lock step with the nation’s. If what you were saying was true it would be diverging.

If you want to play the anecdote game, I have a good friend who makes $500K a year and willingly moved from income tax free Las Vegas to Huntington Beach because he wanted to raise his kids there. Politics definitely factored in to his move as he feels far more protected from Trump’s policies in California.

Median household income
Blue line: California
Gray line: United States

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-26-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Anecdotal evidence is so cute
Exactly.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
Sorry all I know are high wage earning Republicans. But if what you say is true, that's great. Getting rid of the low wage earning rif raf is a great thing.

Maybe all these high earning democrats can host immigrant families in their large new homes? Any of you guys want to step up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California