Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:47 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, the state's fiscal budget situation improved after the Republicans lost the ability to gridlock the state legislature. Plus Brown's a bit of a cheapskate and reserved a rainy day fund.

And maybe, just maybe, if the Republicans would stop shooing themselves in the foot and complain about immigrants all the time, and instead, actually listen to the voters, they might just improve their political fortunes. The first thing you should do when you're in a hole is to stop digging. That's actually what the Democrats in Texas are finally doing, and it's starting to pay dividends. I don't see why the CA GOP can't do the same.

Look, you've been doing your Chicken Little dance for years and ranting about moving out. So what's stopping you?
Why are you attacking me? I have no control of anything. I just gave my opinion... does that threaten you?

I'm moving as soon as I can but I just might keep posting here to enlighten you all

Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why are you attacking me? I have no control of anything. I just gave my opinion... does that threaten you?

I'm moving as soon as I can but I just might keep posting here to enlighten you all
Oh, I don't feel threatened by you at all. I'm just observing your posts over the years with the apocalyptic words. Yeah, you do keep us all entertained.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
There hasn't been a Republican senator from California since the 1990s. Also, in every presidential election since 1992, the Democrat won. However, there was a Republican governor through 2010.
The problem with the GOP in California is that it acts like its in Texas, Alabama or Mississippi, and not California. They run on being against abortion, against gay rights, against climate change, against immigration. Like I said, this might work in Texas or Alabama, but not here. Up until the day he was defeated, Dana Rohrabacher still thought a business had the right to discriminate against LGBT people.

Quote:
Does it have to do with immigration patterns? But then Florida and Texas are still more Republican. They have similar immigration patterns.
Texas is a Southern state, so is Florida. People always seem to forget the latter. And, like CountDavid said, there is a contingent of Cuban Republicans who wrongly associate the Democratic Party with being soft on communism.

Quote:
More interesting question: in fast food and retail places I see almost all Latino people working, even in the totally Asian areas. Not many African American folks, like I used to see. There's a McDonald's in Rosemead where the clientele is almost all Asian. Staff is more Latino and there seems to be no conflicts.
The black population of Southern California is undergoing an exodus. Most are moving to Nevada, Texas or further east to Georgia and the Carolinas. The few blacks left in California are located in places like Rialto, Moreno Valley, Victorville, San Bernardino, Bakersfield and Lancaster, where they make up no more than 15%-18% of the populations in those communities.

A lot of blacks I know are currently moving to Las Vegas, NV.

As for the Latinos and Asians and lack of conflict, I have noticed the same. There is an unspoken synchronicity between Latino culture and Asian culture in Southern California.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Yeah, because homeless people and illegal immigrants pay so much in taxes.

Walk around San Francisco for a day, then tell me how wonderful things are.
I do just that at least once a month, it looks fine to me My son-in-law and his family live there, if I get the time to obscure their faces I will post some photos of them teaching their boy how to ride a bike right on a public sidewalk, riding the carousel in GG Park and going for walks.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:16 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
I'll say it again, the reason the Republican party is shrinking is because so many of them are moving out of state. I know a bunch of Republicans that did, I don't know any that became democrats.

They reasons are always the same, taxes, laws, license plate fees, the cost of gas, the amount of homeless people, the amount of illegal immigrants.

All things the democrats have controlled for years.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I do just that at least once a month, it looks fine to me My son-in-law and his family live there, if I get the time to obscure their faces I will post some photos of them teaching their boy how to ride a bike right on a public sidewalk, riding the carousel in GG Park and going for walks.
Gee, that settles it, San Francisco is wonderful.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I think you have those numbers backwards. High earners are leaving the state, and being replaced by low earners.

I know four Republican families that moved out of the state because of our laws, taxes, school over crowding...
Aren’t most of the people leaving California actually middle-income earners, too rich for welfare benefits but too poor to afford the higher cost of living? And in reality, does being worth a million dollars in California really mean you are rich?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:30 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
I think some California Republicans were more interested in the Cold War than the culture war. When Reagan was governor, he signed a bill giving California among the most permissive abortion laws in the country before Roe v. Wade.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:39 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think some California Republicans were more interested in the Cold War than the culture war. When Reagan was governor, he signed a bill giving California among the most permissive abortion laws in the country before Roe v. Wade.
He also said he regretted it, later.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Aren’t most of the people leaving California actually middle-income earners, too rich for welfare benefits but too poor to afford the higher cost of living? And in reality, does being worth a million dollars in California really mean you are rich?
Beats the hell outta me. My friends and family that left were in the 75k to 150k range, I would guess.

And yes, if you own a home in California, most likely you have a million dollars in assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California