Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Crime is crime ...
I don't think animal rights activists would be happy if animals get locked up in cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 07:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Get in line if you don't mind spending over 1 million on a tiny 3 bedroom house built halfway during the 20th century or paying 3k on a tiny studio the size of a 2-car garage.
only if you insist on living in the Bay Area and settling on earning a mere $300k per year. But yeah, life can be hard.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 PM

8,681 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

I honestly would have thought higher, but 14 is pretty bad. I can see these numbers getting worse in the next decade.
I would have thought it would be higher as well. What's interesting is the most dangerous states including Alaska, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennesse, Arizona and so on (and per FBI crime stats, I read California was 15).

Old 01-15-2020, 07:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
Interesting report, but those statistics are questionable. Imho, in certain areas, crimes go unreported because there is so much of it, the police will do nothing about the more minor crimes because they can only handle the the worst crime. When I lived in Lubbock Tx, the police did nothing about bad/rubber checks.

Future statistics will be more inaccurate since Ca. decriminalized theft under $1000.

The city of Chicago has also been accused of fudging their statistics by labeling murders as accidental deaths of some kind.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Interesting report, but those statistics are questionable. Imho, in certain areas, crimes go unreported because there is so much of it, the police will do nothing about the more minor crimes because they can only handle the the worst crime. When I lived in Lubbock Tx, the police did nothing about bad/rubber checks.

Future statistics will be more inaccurate since Ca. decriminalized theft under $1000.

The city of Chicago has also been accused of fudging their statistics by labeling murders as accidental deaths of some kind.
Interesting comments augie:

1. Why would “unreported crimes” be any greater in one state than another? There are “certain areas” with “so much crime” in all states / cities. So why would California statistics be any more skewed than Louisiana’s?

2. Theft isn’t a violent crime ... so how does that worsen California’s standing as a “dangerous state”?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
I dont think Ca. crime would be more under reported than La. But it might be underreported more than a low crime state like Iowa. My point is that the crime in general is worse than the statistics would show in comparison to most other states.

Yes, the theft is not a violent crime. But the new law that decriminalizes thefts under 1000 dollars encourages crimonals and will probably attract more criminals to the state. Criminals tend to commit all kinds of crimes and so violent crimes will increase also.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
https://247wallst.com/special-report...-in-america-5/

I honestly would have thought higher, but 14 is pretty bad. I can see these numbers getting worse in the next decade.
s most people here know, I am not a huge lover of all Ca has to offer, but I also take these studies and charts with a grain of salt: Whenever you are talking states with a lot of urban living you are going to find crime and the illegal situation probably isn't helping the matter much. To be honest, if I were to leave where I live now and could live anywhere, of course CA would not be on my list, but not because of high crime. There are a lot of other issues I might worry about.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:35 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
s most people here know, I am not a huge lover of all Ca has to offer, but I also take these studies and charts with a grain of salt: Whenever you are talking states with a lot of urban living you are going to find crime and the illegal situation probably isn't helping the matter much. To be honest, if I were to leave where I live now and could live anywhere, of course CA would not be on my list, but not because of high crime. There are a lot of other issues I might worry about.
Sure, I don't even consider "crime" to be the #1 issue with the state.

But it's funny given all the money the state spends on mitigating the factors that lead to these crimes isn't doing much (except making taxpayers broke).

Old 01-15-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I dont think Ca. crime would be more under reported than La. But it might be underreported more than a low crime state like Iowa. My point is that the crime in general is worse than the statistics would show in comparison to most other states.

Yes, the theft is not a violent crime. But the new law that decriminalizes thefts under 1000 dollars encourages crimonals and will probably attract more criminals to the state. Criminals tend to commit all kinds of crimes and so violent crimes will increase also.
Unsupportable speculation with no purpose.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I repeat: unsupportable speculation without purpose. If you disagree then post supporting data.

Explain how you know any of the bold above to be true.

Oh, and have a wonderful day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California