Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 05:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You said you weren't sure why "this U-haul thing" is even being questioned. There's one reason to.
Because of some random survey of 7 people in Manhattan? So you honestly think that the majority of this U-Haul shortage is likely being caused by intrastate moves?

This isn't anything new...

Why it’s 4x as much to rent moving truck from CA to TX than reverse

The rental company also pointed to its latest growth report, which found Texas saw the biggest net gain in U-Haul trucks in 2017, while California was dead last among the 50 states.

U-Haul needs to get those trucks back to where they’re needed, so “prompting customers with very low pricing to bring equipment into those states is one way we can address that challenge.”

Old 08-23-2022, 05:19 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm referring to domestic migration, not overall population growth. CA's population growth has come from births and international immigration for the last several decades.

California Losing Residents Via Domestic Migration

For many years, more people have been leaving California for other states than have been moving here. According to data from the American Community Survey, from 2007 to 2016, about 5 million people moved to California from other states, while about 6 million left California. On net, the state lost 1 million residents to domestic migration—about 2.5 percent of its total population. These population losses are low in historical terms. The graph below shows data from the Internal Revenue Service on the movement of income tax filers in and out of California since 1990. (Data on tax filers does not cover the entire population because some people do not earn enough income to necessitate filing taxes.) As the graph shows, net out-migration from 1990 to 2006 was, on average, more than double what is was in the most recent ten years.
OIC. Okay.

Now then, I always ask why this matters. In what way is it meaningful? Not sure if you have an opinion to share, but I am always interested seeing how often this topic rages as if the domestic migration numbers somehow indicate demise. Not saying you are in that camp of attitude.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
OIC. Okay.

Now then, I always ask why this matters. In what way is it meaningful? Not sure if you have an opinion to share, but I am always interested seeing how often this topic rages as if the domestic migration numbers somehow indicate demise. Not saying you are in that camp of attitude.
I don't think it necessarily indicates demise but clearly shows a lot of people are unhappy with and/or unable to afford to live in CA. I think it matters who is leaving and once you start to see high income earners with a net loss then that may pose a big problem down the road.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:41 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Because of some random survey of 7 people in Manhattan? So you honestly think that the majority of this U-Haul shortage is likely being caused by intrastate moves?

This isn't anything new...

Why it’s 4x as much to rent moving truck from CA to TX than reverse

The rental company also pointed to its latest growth report, which found Texas saw the biggest net gain in U-Haul trucks in 2017, while California was dead last among the 50 states.

U-Haul needs to get those trucks back to where they’re needed, so “prompting customers with very low pricing to bring equipment into those states is one way we can address that challenge.”
Its a large state with multiple 1 Trillion dolllar plus GDP regions completely independent of each other. So, yes, its a real possibility.

Short of U-Haul actually having signed declarations from customers to go along with all these rentals saying "I'm fleeing Commiefornia for the great state of Texas, and I'm never looking back!", I think we can assume it.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Its a large state with multiple 1 Trillion dolllar plus GDP regions completely independent of each other. So, yes, its a real possibility.

Short of U-Haul actually having signed declarations from customers to go along with all these rentals saying "I'm fleeing Commiefornia for the great state of Texas, and I'm never looking back!", I think we can assume it.
Then how is it a problem across the entire state?

Old 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
I don't think it necessarily indicates demise but clearly shows a lot of people are unhappy with and/or unable to afford to live in CA. I think it matters who is leaving and once you start to see high income earners with a net loss then that may pose a big problem down the road.
Affordability is the biggest problem, from everything I have read.

Many conservatives leave due to the politics, and even some liberals leave because crime is up, but the really big reason is home prices and cost of living. It is just getting really tough to afford to live in California under the median income and own a house, contribute to a 401k for retirement security. If you are in a high tax bracket, you pay a lot in taxes. If you can move that job to another state, even with a modest pay cut, you are going to come out ahead.

It's the economy. California is becoming a state of haves and have nots. More and more, the have nots are going to places with a lower cost of living.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:47 PM

467 posts, read 777,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Many conservatives leave due to the politics, and even some liberals leave because crime is up, but the really big reason is home prices and cost of living. It is just getting really tough to afford to live in California under the median income and own a house, contribute to a 401k for retirement security. If you are in a high tax bracket, you pay a lot in taxes. If you can move that job to another state, even with a modest pay cut, you are going to come out ahead.

It's the economy. California is becoming a state of haves and have nots. More and more, the have nots are going to places with a lower cost of living.
So true. It shouldn't matter what side of the aisle a person is on, this should be very visible to Californians.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:34 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

This is unique to California? The whole world is traveling the same path. Even Mississippi will catch up on down the road.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:49 PM

467 posts, read 777,952 times
Certainly not unique to anywhere, but it's one place where it can be pretty extreme. Hawaii is even worse.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:56 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
My kids could only qualify for a $550K house even with a large down payment and they make good money.
Not stupid good money but respectfully good.
It’s that they are single income.

In Contra Costa County (Concord) next to the drive in movie theater off of Olivera dinky little 3/1 1,100 sqft WW11 homes with no yards go for that and the neighborhood is “so so” at best.
I consider it a crime area and they want 550K for these most have bars on the windows and there is graffiti in the area.
Similar prices in areas like Hayward or Fremont will get you bars on your windows and graffiti too.

One of my kids moved up here to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington and has a huge house in a good neighborhood on a half acre for $450k.
She also only has a 4 mile commute to a good paying job with no traffic.

My other kid is soon to follow.

That alone is making lots of young adults leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California