Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2022, 09:48 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Wait staff can enhance the experience of eating out.....
At McDonalds????

Old 09-10-2022, 10:14 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
At McDonalds????

I normally don't patronize fast food restaurants such as McDonalds.......I do like coffee shops though. Given a choice, prefer the independent coffee shops. Here is an example below of a coffee shop I have patronized when in the neighborhood. If I was on the road and really hungry and a fast food restaurant seemed to be the only option, then then I might stop in......but, I would walk out if I was being severed by a robot. Now, that I think about it, last time I made a stop at a fast food restaurant, was around 2004 or 2005, a Taco Bell in Redwood City in the evening, on my way back to SF. It was already past my normally dinner time and traffic on HWY was slow for whatever reason

https://farleyscoffee.com/

Old 09-10-2022, 10:20 AM

827 posts, read 659,871 times
The best thing I ever did was move out of California.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:45 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
The best thing I ever did was move out of California.
Thank you for your sacrifice.
And I’m sure I speak for many others, as well.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:22 PM

327 posts, read 222,331 times
It is no secret that your quality of life drastically improves when you leave California. I think that the pandemic made us realize that California just ain’t it, even though things had been trending downward for quite some time before that.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
It is no secret that your quality of life drastically improves when you leave California. I think that the pandemic made us realize that California just ain’t it, even though things had been trending downward for quite some time before that.
If your QOL improved, ‘nuff said. Congratulations. But … speak for yourself. Because millions of Californians (and lots of ex-Californians) don’t agree.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
If you're older and own a house and have paid your high California wages into social security and 401ks moving out will get you a bigger house and your retirement money will go further.

If youre 23 and trying to start a Hollywood or tech career you're likely going to have to spend many years in California whether you want to or not.

It depends on your stage in life.

If I moved to Ohio and was paid $35/hr less my whole career I'd be looking at thousands less a month in social security and retirement distributions and would have a fraction of the house equity I'd have if I stayed in CA. However, if I moved out of CA at 55 I could buy a mansion and a vacation home somewhere else. However, this would not be possible had I stayed in Ohio my whole career.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
If you're older and own a house and have paid your high California wages into social security and 401ks moving out will get you a bigger house and your retirement money will go further.

If youre 23 and trying to start a Hollywood or tech career you're likely going to have to spend many years in California whether you want to or not.

If I moved to Ohio and was paid $35/hr less my whole career I'd be looking at thousands less a month in social security and retirement distributions and would have a fraction of the house equity I'd have if I stayed in CA. However, if I moved out of CA at 55 I could buy a mansion and a vacation home somewhere else. However, this would not be possible had I stayed in Ohio my whole career.
Heh … you must be still young? Because: when most people get older, they don’t want “a bigger house”, “a mansion”, or even a “vacation home somewhere else.” They want to downsize and take vacations where they don’t have to: repair the roof, mow the lawns, paint the walls, replace the toilets, clean 10 rooms, etc.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Heh … you must be still young? Because: when most people get older, they don’t want “a bigger house”, “a mansion”, or even a “vacation home somewhere else.” They want to downsize and take vacations where they don’t have to: repair the roof, mow the lawns, paint the walls, replace the toilets, clean 10 rooms, etc.
Most people living in 6+ bedroom homes don't clean them or fix them themselves .

My point was more that a lot of people claiming life if so much easier once they leave CA probably benefitted from the high wages in CA. They now can afford when they move to send their kids to top notch school districts, buy wonderful homes etc thanks to their CA money when they leave.

I'm not planning on leaving the state until my kid graduates high school which is a while. I'll probably go down to a surf friendly Latin American locale and enjoy time in the sun. I don't hate CA but am considering moving out of my region of the Bay Area at some point sooner due to politics/school quality.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:22 PM

327 posts, read 222,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

Ohio workers do not make $35/hour less than California workers at any company, in any industry. In fact, Ohio workers do not make appreciably less money than California workers in most industries, which is part of the problem. Unfortunately, salaries in California are not commensurate with the cost of living (and they never have been). The Los Angeles, San Diego and Inland Empire metropolitan areas have especially low salaries, given the high local real estate prices and tax rates.

Also, let’s face it — in most industries, it is easier to advance in your career outside of California due to significantly less job competition, especially in non-magnet legacy cities with historically robust economies (e.g., Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville, etc.). I understand there are some industries that only exist or have an enormous presence in California (e.g., entertainment, social media, technology, etc.), but if you work in finance, insurance, logistics or any other regular/run-of-the-mill industry, then you are going to be significantly better off outside of California, especially if you are a ladder-climber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California