Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 07:03 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalbum View Post
Well - it’s not always all about you. The health of a state is based on all of the people - not a chosen few.

From the article:

“According to ITEP, Texans whose salaries fall into the lowest 20 percent of income earners (making less than $20,900 annually) pay about 13 percent of their income in state and local taxes. Meanwhile, Californians in the bottom 20 percent (making less than $23,200 annually) pay 10.5 percent. In Texas, the middle 20 percent of income earners ($35,800-$56,000) pay 9.7 percent in state and local taxes in contrast to middle income Californians ($39,100-$62,300), who only pay 8.9 percent. Most glaringly, the top 1 percent of earners in Texas ($617,900 or more) pay 3.1 percent of their income in contrast to top earnings in California ($714,400 or more) who pay 12.4 percent. “
Back to the lazy man approach. Dude, break it down instead of just quoting a link. Can you go beyond your ambiguous article? I'm thinking probably not.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Well - it’s not always all about you. The health of a state is based on all of the people - not a chosen few.

From the article:

“According to ITEP, Texans whose salaries fall into the lowest 20 percent of income earners (making less than $20,900 annually) pay about 13 percent of their income in state and local taxes. Meanwhile, Californians in the bottom 20 percent (making less than $23,200 annually) pay 10.5 percent. In Texas, the middle 20 percent of income earners ($35,800-$56,000) pay 9.7 percent in state and local taxes in contrast to middle income Californians ($39,100-$62,300), who only pay 8.9 percent. Most glaringly, the top 1 percent of earners in Texas ($617,900 or more) pay 3.1 percent of their income in contrast to top earnings in California ($714,400 or more) who pay 12.4 percent. “
If you move outside of Austin, the property taxes are much, much lower too. In Houston and Dallas property taxes are about 60% of what they are in Austin.

Because salaries tend to be higher in CA, many/most Californians that actually work in higher cost of living areas of the state make more than $62000/yr anyway (In the Bay Area starbucks managers even make more, many car mechanics make 100k+). In the Bay Area/LA/coastal CA middle income is more like 70-250k and you'll get taxed a lot to support all the moochers.

As I've said before though, it's more beneficial to move to a lower COL state towards the middle/end of your career. The money you can get from cashing out will move someone from the middle class to middle upper class in their new area.

Last edited by njbiodude; 09-14-2022 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-14-2022, 12:57 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Bull - after living here for 4 years our COL and taxes are much lower in central Tx than it was in So. Calif.
We save on
1. gas tax
2. utility tax
3. car registration
4. sales tax
5. income tax
6. income tax on 401k and SEPA withdrawals
7. property tax
8. fees, licenses for things like fishing, hunting, camping, beach parking
9. food and btw the fruit and veggies are better than we had
10. trash dispodsal
11. car/truck insurance
12. the cost to purchase property
13. Lawn service and labor to have household repairs done.

There may be a one or two areas that Calif is lower but i cant find it and the COL IS 1/3 LOWER where we live.
Yeah, I saw that claim and it just doesn't pass the sniff test. I can't imagine paying more in taxes in Texas than here in CA.

The overall cost of living in Texas is definitely cheaper than here.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:55 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Why are you commenting to me? If you read my comment (which you obviously didn't...or clearly didn't comprehend it), I don't agree with the poster. Take a cleansing breath and try responding to the one that made the claim.
just confirming your point - chill man

Old 09-15-2022, 10:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Facts matter. Anecdotal information does not.
Problem is your middle income in Texas doesn't match up with middle income in CA. In the Bay Area, a family with 62k/yr household income is low income and receives HUD which offsets taxes. A more fair comparison would be comparing a family making 100-140k/yr in CA to one making 60k in Texas.

Minimum wage workers in CA make 35k-40k in a lot of CA. With overtime a McDonalds worker can make 60k/yr+ here. Managers make even more.

The bottom 20% in CA don't work full time and receive most of their income through government transfers or are students.

Finally, where in Texas are we comparing? Travis County (Austin) has by far the highest property taxes in the state because they have the same liberal policies voted in by everyone from CA. The rest of the state is much lower. If you make 100K+ at a tech job in Austin and own a million dollar house your taxes are pretty high.

Last edited by njbiodude; 09-15-2022 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-15-2022, 10:26 AM

827 posts, read 660,338 times
Long gone from California.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:40 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Problem is your middle income in Texas doesn't match up with middle income in CA. In the Bay Area, a family with 62k/yr household income is low income and receives HUD which offsets taxes. A more fair comparison would be comparing a family making 100-140k/yr in CA to one making 60k in Texas.

Minimum wage workers in CA make 35k-40k in a lot of CA. With overtime a McDonalds worker can make 60k/yr+ here. Managers make even more.

The bottom 20% in CA don't work full time and receive most of their income through government transfers or are students.

Finally, where in Texas are we comparing? Travis County (Austin) has by far the highest property taxes in the state because they have the same liberal policies voted in by everyone from CA. The rest of the state is much lower. If you make 100K+ at a tech job in Austin and own a million dollar house your taxes are pretty high.
This is just comparing the entire states, not metros. The low, middle, and high income values are not the same either, CA's are obviously set higher.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:45 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
The notion that California is experiencing a "mass exodus" is comical on its face, but even on closer scrutiny, the fact that its population holds around thirty nine million souls should be a great clue for even the most diehard California haters that the state is certainly in no peril due to .03 percent of it's people leaving. It's tiresome hearing this kind of BS to say the least, and worse, it's just not true that California is somehow doomed, as much as the far right would love that, it just ain't so..

Old 09-15-2022, 11:20 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Long gone from California.
Thank you

Old 09-15-2022, 11:29 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Facts matter. Anecdotal information does not.
Unfortunately you haven't provided any facts. You've provided a generic article that doesn't compare apples to apples and then you provide no drill down on it (which tells me you can't support the argument made and simply want to keep quoting an article with little basis). And it goes into personal attacks like "Despite right [wing] propaganda to the contrary". I'm curious as to why you think what you're posting isn't propaganda?

I couldn't care less about graphs like the one you posted above. I'm not political in any way, but I can run numbers. Please explain if I buy a similar house to the one I own in CA in my current area (about 18 miles away from Austin) that I will pay more in taxes (yeah, you're not going to find that in your generic article).

My house in CA will sell for $1.5 million and would have an initial property tax bill of $15k. A similar home in my current area would run about $325k. If the property tax is 2.5% (a fair average as rates range form 1.8% to 3.15%, that puts the property tax at just over $8k). So a difference of $7k. Clearly there's no state tax in one area and there is in another. The sales tax rate from what I can see is also higher where my current home sits in CA (just outside SF). Feel free to explain how this equates to higher taxes (hint: quoting the article is not going to help you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California