Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 07:52 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
So, demand will remain high no matter how much you want to believe you can simply 'vote' for cheaper homes or higher wages. Middle class jobs will pay a middle class wage, pure and simple. How do you propose that will ever change via some votes, especially knowing California has a diverse culture and demographic with many other priorities beyond some imagined perfect political agenda to make it affordable for the middle class again? What is your genius plan? How would that ever happen? I mean realistically beyond a rant as you exit the state and complain about all those who don't take it seriously according to your own metric? I really want to know.
Great points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 08:41 AM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Do y'all remember when most of America wanted to go to California and enjoy the opportunities? Everyone wanted to be Californian in some way, clothes, cars, music, beach, etc. In much the same way as America influences the world, California influenced America.

Those were glorious days. However... Opportunity gave way to equity, little by little and then.... what happened? The rich got richer and the poverty increased. Everyone want to be 'richer', but the middle class rung on the ladder was removed.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results... you know.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:56 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Do y'all remember when most of America wanted to go to California and enjoy the opportunities? Everyone wanted to be Californian in some way, clothes, cars, music, beach, etc. In much the same way as America influences the world, California influenced America.

Those were glorious days. However... Opportunity gave way to equity, little by little and then.... what happened? The rich got richer and the poverty increased. Everyone want to be 'richer', but the middle class rung on the ladder was removed.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results... you know.
What would Dave_n_Tenn do to change that?

If more Californians spread out the rest of the nation, how bad would that be? I mean many came from other states to begin with for some of the things you mentioned including better weather overall. But if prices get so high that its no longer worth the cost of admission, then people will look elsewhere. And some of those states' economies will benefit from the spreading out of the wealth - more construction, services and jobs. Is that really a bad thing?

Should all the Californians leaving for Texas, etc. change their minds and return to California? Would that be better for California or our nation? Or could this spreading out of the most over inhabited state actually be a good thing for all in the long run?

Derek

Old 12-31-2021, 10:11 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Fair enough, but I don't see anything very useful or caring coming from the folks who float in here just to thread crap.
I agree some people just post things to stir others up. The problem is people know who does it but then they engage with them thus doing exactly what the poster wanted.
Anyhow, a lot of things good and bad are are discussed just to have conversation and pass time. If people didn’t post up good and bad, this whole forum would be very boring and not active at all. California has a lot of activity whereas other forums are very quiet. No surprise people come over to this forum. Not to mention several post how important and influential California is. Why would it be surprising to see others from other states involved here.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:14 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:

If more Californians spread out the rest of the nation, how bad would that be? I mean many came from other states to begin with for some of the things you mentioned including better weather overall. But if prices get so high that its no longer worth the cost of admission, then people will look elsewhere. And some of those states' economies will benefit from the spreading out of the wealth - more construction, services and jobs. Is that really a bad thing?

Should all the Californians leaving for Texas, etc. change their minds and return to California? Would that be better for California or our nation? Or could this spreading out of the most over inhabited state actually be a good thing for all in the long run?

Derek
Derek, I’ve always appreciated your comments as they seem objective and unbiased. You have some good posts in this thread. Hope you’re doing well in Vancouver. My girlfriend grew up and spent most of her life there.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:14 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You brought up Trump as if I am a Trump supporter talking about promises "he made to me" purely because you didnt like what I was saying, even though it was not a negative against California and after I corrected others eho acted like rich folk were leaving in droves too. You made a wrong assumption there and now are backtracking on it.

Now you talk about not being sure where I'm going with my "rant" yet you post a bigger one which shows you didnt even care to read my post. I gave two examples of companies which if they remained in CA would have helped the middle class situation. CA needs to stop exporting these thousands of well paying jobs because the income gap in CA is among the worst in the nation.

At the end of the day none of what we say on this forum really matters. No one has the end all be all solution. But simply posting about an issue that is real is not hating on CA, but the sensitive responses back show that most know it's an issue.
The majority who complain about CA as they leave blame the politics as if that would have changed everything for them. That is, the middle class would someone be so much better off and homes would be cheaper. I guess folks need someone to blame. So, I get that. The idea that we live in a capitalistic society where supply and demand economics determines cost of living is much harder to blame.

I did read your other post about the companies that left. I just don't see how voting for a certain politician or political agenda would have changed that. I actually worked for Toyota and know others who did as well. While unfortunate, that move did not make all of their lives terrible. If that had relevant skills which most did, they were able to find other jobs or move with the company. California still has plenty of jobs and one of the reasons people continue to pour in regardless of the high COL.

I get people like to express their frustrations online with things out of their control. I just don't believe all the common scapegoats are the cause - illegals, liberal politics, etc... Most of it was going to happen because California is one of the greatest states in the nation = high demand. Eventually, prices get too high and make them think again.

Derek

Old 12-31-2021, 10:17 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Do y'all remember when most of America wanted to go to California and enjoy the opportunities? Everyone wanted to be Californian in some way, clothes, cars, music, beach, etc.
I don't recall that. My parents moved to southern California from Chicago in the 1950s for my father's job. Both of their families thought they were nuts to come here--and to want to stay!--and many still think of California as a little wacky.

Quote:
In much the same way as America influences the world, California influenced America.
I agree with that statement!

Old 12-31-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Derek
The single most important thing California could do is aggressively de-regulate small businesses.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:56 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I agree some people just post things to stir others up. The problem is people know who does it but then they engage with them thus doing exactly what the poster wanted.
Anyhow, a lot of things good and bad are are discussed just to have conversation and pass time. If people didn’t post up good and bad, this whole forum would be very boring and not active at all. California has a lot of activity whereas other forums are very quiet. No surprise people come over to this forum. Not to mention several post how important and influential California is. Why would it be surprising to see others from other states involved here.
Oh..I dunno, maybe you should go look at other state forums and see how many Californian's are giving the regulars in those forums an earful about how their state sucks. I have looked and I do not see this happening ANYWHERE except in the California forum.

And no, I don't have to remain passive and ignore what they say. As long as I remain within the rules of this forum I can and will give them an earful. I understand that you think that's a bad idea but oh well...

Old 12-31-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't recall that. My parents moved to southern California from Chicago in the 1950s for my father's job. Both of their families thought they were nuts to come here--and to want to stay!--and many still think of California as a little wacky.

California Dreaming...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California