Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times

Advertisements

If you read the univ of ca.edu article in its entirety, it's not wrong.

People just want to glomm onto such a dramatic word as "exodus!" and claim there is such a big trend, but I can poke holes in researchers methods and say I know some kinds of people and subcultures that escape their net. Having a traceable credit history is "neat" if your object of analysis is "millionaires" - but the teaming masses of homeless have increased, and that is obvious as the day is long to anyone who spent 2 decades working in DTLA. I remember Broadway when the Herald Examiner newspaper was pumping out printed newspapers, and anybody who's walked down San Pedro Ave can say "yeah there's a lot more homeless than 20 years ago".

Maybe pointing out the different age brackets matter: I worked with 4 guys, all older than me, they're all left California for 2nd Tier states, chasing a lower Cost of Living and an imaginary/hoped for Red State political aura.

I do see less immigration of latino faces, but I see more of chinese and indian/pakistani faces, in my immediate social/neighborhood/work world. My mother immigrated to CA as a teen, but my father's side of the family has been here longer than CA has been in the United States of America.

But open your eyes and look around, there is definitely a steady line of ants LEAVING California, just not at the "exodus" rate.

You can't fake "building permits for new housing construction":
(wish the chart was updated for 2021, but best I could find in 3 googles...)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 03:16 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
If you are a super rich or close to, you dont have leave altogether. Just rent a cheap place out of state to use as mailing/primary address, and still enjoy California for most or close to most of the year.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:38 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
It really stinks when data disprove your sweet anecdotes and foxnews talking points

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...ing-california
Why can't people in California just accept that yes, the middle class is leaving the state in droves? The facts don't lie... The domestic migration numbers speak for themselves: https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ate/California

And it's not necessarily a bad thing that people are leaving the state but WHY are middle class people leaving, who is replacing them (ultra rich and the poor), and what will happen to the growing poor/working class in CA as time goes on and the state continues to get more expensive? We've already seen the international migration numbers that CA use to get shift to other states so the decline in overall pop last year shouldn't be surprising.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:23 PM

608 posts, read 515,812 times
I'll just leave this here. There are other links.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...for-first-time

Old 07-09-2021, 04:28 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
I know folks that bailed. Some were not “rich” and left for cheaper COL.
The more affluent don’t really leave, as they were never here. (Think people that own numerous houses all over the world. They don’t fly 1st Class. They tell their pilots where to fly their jets.)

Most of the people I know, that have left, didn’t leave for financial reasons, but for political reasons.

I’ve been approached about leaving Calif.

As Gabby Johnson would say… No sidewindin’ swindlin’ crackercroaker is going to …..(inaudable Western gibberish.)

The people that left for COLA’s, are in the deep South.
The one’s with $$$ went North.
People from other parts of the world, seem to be replacing those that fled.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:38 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I'll just leave this here. There are other links.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...for-first-time
Did you actually even read that article?

Old 07-09-2021, 04:47 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I know folks that bailed. Some were not “rich” and left for cheaper COL.
The more affluent don’t really leave, as they were never here. (Think people that own numerous houses all over the world. They don’t fly 1st Class. They tell their pilots where to fly their jets.)

Most of the people I know, that have left, didn’t leave for financial reasons, but for political reasons.

I’ve been approached about leaving Calif.

As Gabby Johnson would say… No sidewindin’ swindlin’ crackercroaker is going to …..(inaudable Western gibberish.)

The people that left for COLA’s, are in the deep South.
The one’s with $$$ went North.
People from other parts of the world, seem to be replacing those that fled.
I’m a middle class person that left. The reasons were many but the #1 was what politicians are doing to Ca not financial reasons. I’m now in Idaho and just registered my car here. I have a Lexus Rx350 and for the car, a personalized plate and a State park pass I paid 180.00. I’d probably pay triple that in Ca and very expensive gas. Needless to say I don’t regret moving at all.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:18 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I’m a middle class person that left. The reasons were many but the #1 was what politicians are doing to Ca not financial reasons. I’m now in Idaho and just registered my car here. I have a Lexus Rx350 and for the car, a personalized plate and a State park pass I paid 180.00. I’d probably pay triple that in Ca and very expensive gas. Needless to say I don’t regret moving at all.

One could wonder given the time you spend on the CA forum

Old 07-09-2021, 05:24 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie84 View Post
is the drought nonsense too??

No, it appears the drought covers a good portion of the western states

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Old 07-09-2021, 05:28 PM

2,082 posts, read 924,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Great news!! I’m sure Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee, Idaho and a lot of other states are breathing a sigh of relief

Ps all the homeless.gangs, and shoplifters are welcome to stay in Ca too ..... enjoy!!!

There is a silver lining ……keep that Basura in California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California