Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 04:33 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I thought you were about people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps? Prop 13 is a handout because it is subsidized and dependent upon new home owners paying a lot more in taxes. It would be fine if property taxes were low for all.
Yawn, nah that's your Conservative line. I like to joke about it and use it as sarcasm because Conservatives are typically such hypocrites. I have no problem with consistent treatment being applied to everyone, which Prop 13 does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 04:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Of course this is true.

Americans are still dreaming about moving to California more than other states. Here are the top states where Americans wish to move:

California — 27%
Florida — 25%
Hawaii — 22%
New York — 19%
Colorado — 17%

https://homebay.com/moving-trends/
I too dream of it, but I also dream that all the cray cray people, homeless, and otherwise did not exist. Then I surely will move there.

Old 03-04-2023, 04:46 PM

507 posts, read 344,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
A poll from ten years ago? Maybe there should be a new poll started. I think a lot of things have changed since then.
The thread was started 10 years ago but it has remained active and is still getting votes and posts today: https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...ive-why-9.html

I do think CA would be the most popular answer if everyone in the country was asked "where would you want to live if money was no object?"

Last edited by Tsitsipas; 03-04-2023 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-04-2023, 11:29 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Or in other words nearly 75% wouldn’t if given the option?

I love California. It’s been my home since I was 6. But I don’t wear blinders either? It’s nowhere near as great of a state to live in as it was 20-30-40 years ago (I can’t comment on anything further, but I’ll go out on a limb as say it was amazing?). It’s still a great place, but enough already with posts across all boards on C-D about how great California is. We get it, it’s great, but let’s not pretend a lot hasn’t gone to shi** in recent years?

Old 03-04-2023, 11:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
I thought you were about people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps? Prop 13 is a handout because it is subsidized and dependent upon new home owners paying a lot more in taxes. It would be fine if property taxes were low for all.
Then you should tell that to Nevada too because for single family homes and a limited number of rentals, i.e. owner occupied duplexes their property tax law works pretty much the same as California's does. New home owners in California don't remain new home owners and after a few years they will appreciate prop 13.

What I disagree with is that it applies to commercial properties, apartment complexes and homes that are not owner occupied. Texas on the other hand has one of the highest property tax rates in the US and their 'fix' for it was to allow counties to permit homeowners to defer paying property tax at 65 but the unpaid taxes will still be owed and repaid out of proceeds from the sale of their house.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:49 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Except it's not. It's not a handout and it's not subsidized. It's all based on purchase price. It's 1% with a 2% cap each year. Add on any bond measures for your district and yes, your amount will be over that.

The reason it was done in the first place to stop corrupt officials from jacking people's taxes up 50%. You know, like New Jersey and places like that. We're very fair here.

Old 03-05-2023, 01:54 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then you should tell that to Nevada too because for single family homes and a limited number of rentals, i.e. owner occupied duplexes their property tax law works pretty much the same as California's does. New home owners in California don't remain new home owners and after a few years they will appreciate prop 13.

What I disagree with is that it applies to commercial properties, apartment complexes and homes that are not owner occupied. Texas on the other hand has one of the highest property tax rates in the US and their 'fix' for it was to allow counties to permit homeowners to defer paying property tax at 65 but the unpaid taxes will still be owed and repaid out of proceeds from the sale of their house.
Quote:
Except it's not. It's not a handout and it's not subsidized. It's all based on purchase price. It's 1% with a 2% cap each year. Add on any bond measures for your district and yes, your amount will be over that.

The reason it was done in the first place to stop corrupt officials from jacking people's taxes up 50%. You know, like New Jersey and places like that. We're very fair here.
Well said ladies.

After all these years, I'm still amazed at how so many people can be ignorant regarding how Prop 13 works and how consistently it is applied. It's about as fair as it gets. In the meantime, all I seem to hear in Texas is how long time residents won't be able to retire in the communities they live as their property taxes continue to increase by 10% per year. But hip, hip hooray because they've got a surplus which will be spread around to their cronies.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:01 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:

I’m certainly not against tax reductions especially in CA.

The problem is prop 13 has led to a lot of disgusting housing not being improved. Drive around the Bay Area and look at all the sad run down tract homes ”worth” over a million dollars. If you’re renting it’s particularly obvious as owners don’t want a reassessment so they only do bare minimum improvements. Got an old windowless room with mold that should be ripped up and have the walls expanded into another? Tough luck owner doesn’t want to lose their tax treatment.

One of my relatives bought a house over twenty years ago for about 900k. It was a fixer upper and he had to do major repairs on it and pull permits unless he wanted to live in a disgusting home. He did this over the next 10 years and now the home is very nice. But his house is worth almost 2 million but he essentially gets no benefit from prop 13 because he fixed up his home. He’s retirement age now too but gets no benefit.

Other coworker tried doing major repairs on a property in Sonoma and the county flew drones down, took photos through windows and took him to court. He had to settle for almost 50k in fines after a long protracted legal battle.

Id prefer if they simply spread tax cuts to everyone. Just lower the taxed assessment rate to well under 1% for everyone and don’t have restrictions on repairs. Same property tax revenue but much better housing stock.

Last edited by njbiodude; 03-05-2023 at 05:17 AM..

Old 03-05-2023, 08:38 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

The problem is prop 13 has led to a lot of disgusting housing not being improved. Drive around the Bay Area and look at all the sad run down tract homes ”worth” over a million dollars. If you’re renting it’s particularly obvious as owners don’t want a reassessment so they only do bare minimum improvements. Got an old windowless room with mold that should be ripped up and have the walls expanded into another? Tough luck owner doesn’t want to lose their tax treatment.

One of my relatives bought a house over twenty years ago for about 900k. It was a fixer upper and he had to do major repairs on it and pull permits unless he wanted to live in a disgusting home. He did this over the next 10 years and now the home is very nice. But his house is worth almost 2 million but he essentially gets no benefit from prop 13 because he fixed up his home. He’s retirement age now too but gets no benefit.

Other coworker tried doing major repairs on a property in Sonoma and the county flew drones down, took photos through windows and took him to court. He had to settle for almost 50k in fines after a long protracted legal battle.

Id prefer if they simply spread tax cuts to everyone. Just lower the taxed assessment rate to well under 1% for everyone and don’t have restrictions on repairs. Same property tax revenue but much better housing stock.
Huh? Prop 13 isn’t the reason for deferred maintenance. Blame the mild weather if you want to blame something.

Pulling permits and making improvements only raises raises the tax base by the value of those improvements, and not a reassessment of the entire property. He most certainly benefits from prop 13 if his house has gone from $900K to $2M unless he’s sunk over $1M into his property.

I find that very hard to believe?

Old 03-05-2023, 08:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

uh uh...they don't reappraise your entire house because you do repairs on it. If you get permits for improvements they add those to your tax basis but they still don't reappraise your house. We had a sliding glass door installed so our tax basis increased by 3k, we had a permitted shed built in the backyard our tax basis went up by 6k the cost of the project, but replacing a roof, painting, installing new flooring etc are repairs NOT improvements. Don't believe me? Try reading this:
https://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/new...onproperty.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California