Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 11:22 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times

Advertisements

Honestly, the virtue signaling surrounding EV cars is pretty annoying. Nobody ever stops to think for a second about two huge issues regarding the production of them- 1) the environmental impact of mining for the minerals needed for the batteries along with the danger to the miners and with the way many of them are exploited...2) the environmental impact of disposing of the battery materials once their useful life is up.

Another thing people seem to be completely unaware of is how clean most internal combustion engines run these days. Most of them have emissions that pose very minimal impact to the environment. On the surface, EV cars seem great until you go even just a little deeper into the processes involved in manufacturing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 11:31 AM

258 posts, read 230,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Honestly, the virtue signaling surrounding EV cars is pretty annoying. Nobody ever stops to think for a second about two huge issues regarding the production of them- 1) the environmental impact of mining for the minerals needed for the batteries along with the danger to the miners and with the way many of them are exploited...2) the environmental impact of disposing of the battery materials once their useful life is up.

Another thing people seem to be completely unaware of is how clean most internal combustion engines run these days. Most of them have emissions that pose very minimal impact to the environment. On the surface, EV cars seem great until you go even just a little deeper into the processes involved in manufacturing them.
Yes. But you're missing the point. The certain political party that dominates the current government *hates* big oil with a passion and is willing to do anything possible to destroy it. Not that I'm a fan of big oil myself but the electric mafia with monopolized utility companies isn't any better - just look at PG&E which has entire movies made about how awful they are to both the people and the environment (Erin Brockovich).

On top of that, there are tons of Elon boot lickers out there for whom he's the next Jesus and they will fight to the death anyone who says otherwise. The entire EV move is as usual far more about politics and money than it is about environment but that can't be said out loud because then sheep won't buy the product.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:44 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Yes. But you're missing the point. The certain political party that dominates the current government *hates* big oil with a passion and is willing to do anything possible to destroy it. Not that I'm a fan of big oil myself but the electric mafia with monopolized utility companies isn't any better - just look at PG&E which has entire movies made about how awful they are to both the people and the environment (Erin Brockovich).

On top of that, there are tons of Elon boot lickers out there for whom he's the next Jesus and they will fight to the death anyone who says otherwise. The entire EV move is as usual far more about politics and money than it is about environment but that can't be said out loud because then sheep won't buy the product.
Here's a novel thought. How about thinking about the value of spending less money on gas by consumers regardless of your political preference?

Old 06-20-2023, 11:56 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Here's a novel thought. How about thinking about the value of spending less money on gas by consumers regardless of your political preference?
They aren't wrong. They both bring up valid points.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:04 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
They aren't wrong. They both bring up valid points.
Yep kind of ridiculous with the "boot licker" nonsense. I like spending less on gas and not paying a bunch of money for maintenance.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:27 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Yep kind of ridiculous with the "boot licker" nonsense. I like spending less on gas and not paying a bunch of money for maintenance.
I wasn't referencing the "boot licker" comment. There will definitely be some concern as to how to keep up with demand of the fuel source (lithium batteries), not to mention how to dispose of them. There's always consumer waste. No matter what the product is. I happen to agree with mstnghu2 on cie's. They do run cleaner than before. I also think this is politically motivated more than anything else.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Aren’t there still rolling blackouts and other issues?
How is that going to play out?

Seems to me that the poors and the working class are getting their arms twisted with unfair gas prices to buy cars that they can’t afford.
These unfair gas prices are also giving us unfair grocery prices if you think about it.

Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of getting an EV and will do so the next time I redo my roof and go solar panels with a battery bank system.
Having panels, a battery bank and a cheapo used EV is the last part of having my other place completely off grid and self sufficient.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:18 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Aren’t there still rolling blackouts and other issues?
The last one was in 2020, during the early part of the pandemic, when everyone was stuck at home with many working or attending school remotely.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The Bay Area is definitely an outlier when it comes to EVs and hybrids, and it's been that way for a long time. Of course, they are also among the highest gas prices in the USA. I remember flying to Oakland in 2008 for a wedding in Santa Clara, and borrowed my sister-in-law's 2007 Prius instead of a rental car. We got there early and parked pretty close to the venue. After the wedding We were dismayed to find that about every other car was a Prius, and most were the same color blue. It took pressing the door lock button on the key fob to find hers, which was surrounded by two others the same color.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:36 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Another thing people seem to be completely unaware of is how clean most internal combustion engines run these days.

It's amazing how much power can be cleanly and efficiently squeezed out of a drop of gas these days. But that doesn't mitigate the c02 issue which is what now steers the climate goals.

The problem with electrics is they aren't an equivalent product of convenience compared to traditional vehicles, because there is no ten-minute fill up. Ranges have gotten better, but not enough to make all travel types equitable.

The other problem which hasn't been addressed very well (or at all) is the fire danger of lithium ion batteries. Much smaller Li batteries have burned down homes, etc. and those fires are very difficult to knock down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California