Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_OC View Post
Some may think I'm crazy, but I want to move my family out of California. We live in Orange County in a very nice neighborhood, own a business, kids in private school, wife stays at home, life is generally good. But I've been in OC all my life and it's not like it used to be. I think it's time to leave.

I am trying to find that perfect place to go, and am looking for advice from this forum. We are a conservative Republican family and want that idyllic "Leave It To Beaver" experience for our children. The summer heat here kills my wife too so we need someplace cooler than CA, somewhere with 4 distinct seasons would be great. Having an ocean nearby (1-2 hrs) is a plus. We like fine homes and lots of space, and would want to be in a place where upper class neighborhoods with 4000-6000 square foot homes are common on at least an acre of land. We can't be off in the backwoods either, we would need to be near a larger city with culture, arts, restaurants, etc. Pricewise, somewhere in the $1.5M-$2M range. And somewhere that is not crawling with illegal aliens...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hi Tired_of_OC,
If you want four distinct seasons, proximity to culture, nice neighborhoods and a conservative, family oriented atmosphere Northern Chicagoland (Lake Forest, Wilmette, Glencoe, Skokie, etc..) is actually a very nice area in that price range (I think Michael Jordan has a house up there). I went to school out there, and it was nice having snow in the winter, leaves falling in the fall, awesome springs (almost everybody goes out to the lake front), and warm summers. Instead of the ocean, you would have Lake Michigan, which is also a majestic body of water.

People there are more conservative and hospitable, IMO, than in Southern California. Chicago itself is a mecca of culture from little Italy, little Greece, Indian town, China Town, a plethora of museums, theaters (not just movie theaters) etc. In the summers they have the Ravinia Festival where they have outdoor concerts under the stars (think of Hollywood Bowl without the traffic and congestion). Public transit is great, and the schools are good.

The main con is the cold winter that lasts about 4-5 months, chilly winds, and slushy late winters since the lake causes icy rains instead of pure snow during that time period.

Hope this helps,
chuck22b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:24 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
On the OP's budget there are lots of places he could move. But why move somewhere else in California if he is tired of the liberal philosophy on taxes, spending, and regulations?

Along those lines, why would he want to move to Oregon, Washington, New Jersey, or Maine?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM

162 posts, read 572,610 times
If you're throwing politics into the mix I think Boise is an excellent choice, or maybe even further north to Coeur d'Alene, though I've no idea what kind of jobs there would be up there. Sure is beautiful, though.

Both east and west coasts need to be avoided if you want more conservative, although I'm sure there are pockets of conservatism everywhere (just as Orange County used to be, but I guess that is changing).

Personally I have an eye for the South but that's going to be hot in summer.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 AM

184 posts, read 796,850 times
Quote:
Some may think I'm crazy, but I want to move my family out of California. We live in Orange County in a very nice neighborhood, own a business, kids in private school, wife stays at home, life is generally good. But I've been in OC all my life and it's not like it used to be. I think it's time to leave.

I am trying to find that perfect place to go, and am looking for advice from this forum. We are a conservative Republican family and want that idyllic "Leave It To Beaver" experience for our children. The summer heat here kills my wife too so we need someplace cooler than CA, somewhere with 4 distinct seasons would be great. Having an ocean nearby (1-2 hrs) is a plus. We like fine homes and lots of space, and would want to be in a place where upper class neighborhoods with 4000-6000 square foot homes are common on at least an acre of land. We can't be off in the backwoods either, we would need to be near a larger city with culture, arts, restaurants, etc. Pricewise, somewhere in the $1.5M-$2M range. And somewhere that is not crawling with illegal aliens...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Oklahoma, prehaps Edmond ! i hear so much going on here, check it out!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,268 times
Quote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Michigan, Michigan, Michigan

Old 07-04-2008, 12:44 PM

27 posts, read 95,570 times
Default I'm looking to move from SoCal

Born and raised here. 2nd generation. Done with it here now.
Politically correct nonsense all the time.
Taxes!
Traffic
Illegals
Crime
Nanny laws
Too Blue for me

Weather...good, when you can't see the air. Is hazy just another word for smog?
Quick run ins at 7-11...does anyone speak English anymore?
Takes me 45 minutes to drive 15 miles on the 101.
It's just crazy!

Have kids here, so will come back from time to time, but outside of that..you can have it. It's not the California I remember or the California I want, so you win, I will stop complaining and just go.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Can your business move with you? If so...and you want to try something completely different...might I suggest eastern Long Island. For $1-2 Mil you can find a beautiful home with an acre of land. Its gorgeous here...not unlike the wine country of northern CA. Its gently rolling landscape on the North shore...and more beach like on the south shore.

The south shore boasts the Hamptons...so 1-2M is stretching it...but you can certainly do well on the north shore.

It is a bit rural out here with small towns. Taxes are high in general...but far eastern LI does not suffer as much as central and western LI.

Summer temps are in the low to mid 80s (90 is rare far east). Winters can be windy...but snow is rare as the ocean modifies the cold air surges. Spring and Fall are absolutely amazing.

The beaches are among the best in the country. In the summer...the south shore gets a little crazy with tourists...its better north.

Let me know if you want more detail...

Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Quite the contrary, you're showing signs of good mental health if you want to leave. We've got great weather in LA and good employment, but the people problems are going insane. My career is almost over and I plan to leave too in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
You might consider Boise. It is farther from the ocean than you would like and a little hotter in the summer. But there aren't too many conservative states left near an ocean.

From one business owner to another, I can tell you that Idaho is MUCH more business-friendly than California. I have had some dealings with local and state politicians there as I move my business. It is so refreshing to meet with officials who realize that business create goods, services, jobs, and tax revenue!
I was thinking the same thing as I read the OP: Idaho. Cool weather, four seasons, conservative, "Leave It to Beaver," lots of space, and most certainly not crawling with illegal aliens. Check it out OP.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Quote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Just move up to San Luis Obispo. For what you are willing to spend on a house. You can buy a place in Los Osos, in Cabrillo Estates, with one of the most beautiful views in the WORLD! And live right next to Montana De Oro SP. It's absloutely gorgeous, secluded beaches, beautiful. Take a weekend and check it out. I understand leaving the state, I'll probably have too. But if I could afford a house up on that hill, I wouldn't be going anywhere.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Can your business move with you? If so...and you want to try something completely different...might I suggest eastern Long Island. For $1-2 Mil you can find a beautiful home with an acre of land. Its gorgeous here...not unlike the wine country of northern CA. Its gently rolling landscape on the North shore...and more beach like on the south shore.
The Northeast is beautiful but why would a conservative fed up with California want to relocate to the most liberal region in the nation? I'm sure there are pockets of conservatives but you'd still have to put up with the nanny state, equality of results mentality at the states level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California